• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If an Athiest was forced to choose a religion, What would it be?

pro4life

If you are an Athiest and you were forced to choose a Monothiestic religion i.e Christianity, Judiasm, Islam.
Which of these three would you chose and why.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you are an Athiest and you were forced to choose a Monothiestic religion i.e Christianity, Judiasm, Islam.
Which of these three would you chose and why.

Give me more context. What could conceivably happen to put me in such an odd situation?

Specifically, why would I have to lie? Why would I not rebel in some way instead?

pro4life

Give me more context. What could conceivably happen to put me in such an odd situation?

Specifically, why would I have to lie? Why would I not rebel in some way instead?

Don't be obdurate. The context of the question was if you were forced. Would you choose death instead of choosing a religion?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Judaism is the most allowing of free thought of the three, so probably that, though I admit my Jewish ancestry probably gives me a slight bias. You forgot Bahai by the way. They're a monotheistic religion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Don't be obdurate. The context of the question was if you were forced. Would you choose death instead of choosing a religion?
I am attempting to accurately understand the context of the question. It is not my fault if its premise is silly, degenerate or stupid.

So it is a matter of being threatened with death? I would lie my heck out of it until I could flee that madhouse, I suppose.

If I somehow had both the power and the need to freely chose among the three (but not to get out of that silliness), I suppose Judaism would be a natural choice. If nothing else, the Jewish People have a healthy appreciation of mutal support and mutual duty and tend to be well-educated.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I'll also add that something in me finds Islam alluring, but not so much its religious tenants as how exotic it is. There are also aspects of Orthodox Islam I can hardly stand.

pro4life

I am attempting to accurately understand the context of the question. It is not my fault if its premise is silly, degenerate or stupid.

So it is a matter of being threatened with death? I would lie my heck out of it until I could flee that madhouse, I suppose.

If I somehow had both the power and the need to freely chose among the three (but not to get out of that silliness), I suppose Judaism would be a natural choice. If nothing else, the Jewish People have a healthy appreciation of mutal support and mutual duty and tend to be well-educated.

So you based your choice on the actions of the people and not the message the religion presents itself with, is my assumption correct?

pro4life

Judaism is the most allowing of free thought of the three, so probably that, though I admit my Jewish ancestry probably gives me a slight bias. You forgot Bahai by the way. They're a monotheistic religion.

True. A bias can be instilled within the context of living you originated from. If your family are Christians for example, a person has a more tendency to become a Christian and so forth.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So you based your choice on the actions of the people and not the message the religion presents itself with, is my assumption correct?

Of course not. It is impossible for such an assumption to be correct, since it relies on a self-contradiction.

Religions are what people make them be.

pro4life

I'll also add that something in me finds Islam alluring, but not so much its religious tenants as how exotic it is. There are also aspects of Orthodox Islam I can hardly stand.

So in this regard, you have studied the tenants of this religion and made your own bias and not through familial/friendship relations.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Yes I would. I think freedom of religion is a cause worth dying for.

How about you, what would you do if you were forced to choose a religion that you did not believe in?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
True. A bias can be instilled within the context of living you originated from. If your family are Christians for example, a person has a more tendency to become a Christian and so forth.

Actually I was raised Christian, its just I find many aspects of it unbelievable, and aspects of Judaism not quite so hard to believe. Plus I'd see Judaism as an adventure simply because I'd love to explore my ancestral heritage more. There's one obvious problem though :p

pro4life

Yes I would. I think freedom of religion is a cause worth dying for.

How about you, what would you do if you were forced to choose a religion that you did not believe in?

Aren't you the extreme one. So you have faith that your way of life is superior then embracing any of these 3 religions.