• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If an Athiest was forced to choose a religion, What would it be?

pro4life

Actually I was raised Christian, its just I find many aspects of it unbelievable, and aspects of Judaism not quite so hard to believe. Plus I'd see Judaism as an adventure simply because I'd love to explore my ancestral heritage more. There's one obvious problem though :p

Whats your reason for leaving Christianity in that manner?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Aren't you the extreme one. So you have faith that your way of life is superior then embracing any of these 3 religions.

Come to think of it, that is something to seriously consider. Except that a dead man exerts no revenge.

pro4life

When I left Christianity I doubted all of it: virgin birth, atonement, resurrection, etc. Now I doubt god belief period.

So let me get this straight. So at first you doubted the tenants of Christianity and decided that they were not sensible and truthful. Did you then doubt the God belief right away or did you study other beliefs before you reached your conclusion.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If you are an Athiest and you were forced to choose a Monothiestic religion i.e Christianity, Judiasm, Islam.
Which of these three would you chose and why.
Judaism: it's image of "g-d" is closest to my own.

Word of words
Measure of measures
Blessed is the Name
The Name be blessed
It's written on my heart
in burning letters
That's all I know--
I cannot read the rest.

(Leonard Cohen, Born in Chains)

pro4life

Maybe he did, but then again your premise melds the two. Having to choose among the Abrahamic Faiths means having lost nearly all of one's freedom of religion.

I'll have to say..
His premise "freedom from religion" is somewhat a strong belief that he holds in which death is a choice he will make instead of choosing another way of life. Can his "freedom from religion" be a religion itself?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'll have to say..
His premise "freedom from religion" is somewhat a strong belief that he holds in which death is a choice he will make instead of choosing another way of life.

"Choosing another way of life", in this case, is an euphemism for "submitting to a strongly oppressive society", you realize.

Can his "freedom from religion" be a religion itself?

Not by itself, but I am worried about your unspoken assumptions. Whatever concept of religion you are using, I don't think I would advise keeping it.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
So let me get this straight. So at first you doubted the tenants of Christianity and decided that they were not sensible and truthful. Did you then doubt the God belief right away or did you study other beliefs before you reached your conclusion.

Then I studied Judaism awhile, strongly considered conversion to Reform Judaism (they usually require conversion if you've been raised secular or other), then decided to call myself Gnostic as a way of stating I believed in God like a force within people without limiting myself to any single religion. Of course I still backed up much of my position with the Gnostic texts.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The dictionary? I'm agnostic, far beyond mere 'doubt', and I'm still theistic.

Those are unrelated matters. Agnosticism is, in essence, doubt. Doubt about the possibility of knowing whether there is a god, which is far more timid than doubt about the existence of god itself.