• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If an Athiest was forced to choose a religion, What would it be?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'll have to say..
His premise "freedom from religion" is somewhat a strong belief that he holds in which death is a choice he will make instead of choosing another way of life. Can his "freedom from religion" be a religion itself?
I will confess to a certain "religious zeal" in the defense of individual freedom. But when I defend the concept of freedom of (or from) religious oppression I am defending y0ur freedom as well as my own. I don't even find my position that extreme. Many people are willing to died for he cause of freedom.

pro4life

Then I studied Judaism awhile, strongly considered conversion to Reform Judaism (they usually require conversion if you've been raised secular or other), then decided to call myself Gnostic as a way of stating I believed in God like a force within people without limiting myself to any single religion. Of course I still backed up much of my position with the Gnostic texts.

Which parts of the Gnostic texts that made you satisfied.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Those are unrelated matters. Agnosticism is, in essence, doubt. Doubt about the possibility of knowing whether there is a god, which is far more timid than doubt about the existence of god itself.
Agnosticism isn't really 'doubt', it's the 'inherent belief' or whatever not being there. There isn't a belief to 'doubt' in the first place. This doesn't prevent theism, and if someone says 'doubt', that means they had some actual belief in the first place, hence not atheism. If they say, 'my doubt led to atheism', that makes more sense.

pro4life

I will confess to a certain "religious zeal" in the defense of individual freedom. But when I defend the concept of freedom of (or from) religious oppression I am defending y0ur freedom as well as my own. I don't even find my position that extreme. Many people are willing to died for he cause of freedom.

So am going to ask you again. Will you die instead of embracing a religion if you were forced to?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Agnosticism isn't really 'doubt', it's the 'inherent belief' or whatever not being there. There isn't a belief to 'doubt' in the first place. This doesn't prevent theism, and if someone says 'doubt', that means they had some actual belief in the first place, hence not atheism. If they say, 'my doubt led to atheism', that makes more sense.
I will come back to you once I manage to parse that. It may take a while...

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So am going to ask you again. Will you die instead of embracing a religion if you were forced to?
I will answer again. Yes, I would die instead embracing a religion if I were forced to. Have I been in anyway unclear on that point?

pro4life

Gosh. Do you hate the Abrahamic faiths so much that you call such an abomination "embracing" them?

He has this level of zeal that will protect his set of belief to the point he will choose death. If you ask any laymen they will tell you he's a religious fanatic.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
He has this level of zeal that will protect his set of belief to the point he will choose death. If you ask any laymen they will tell you he's a religious fanatic.

You realize you have failed to answer my question?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Nope. I no longer believe in a god. I see no reason to in light of what modern man has learned, and also the way the world is.
Many religious people aren't theistic, and vice-versa. I'm theistic but I've never been a 'standard' Xian, or practiced standard Judaism etc. They truly are unrelated terms outside of context.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Many religious people aren't theistic, and vice-versa. I'm theistic but I've never been a 'standard' Xian, or practiced standard Judaism etc. They truly are unrelated terms outside of context.

If I were to embrace a religion at this point I could most truthfully call myself Buddhist, but I find some of its tenants questionable.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You should consider Taoism then. But please don't tell me that it is because Buddhism believes in reincarnation... :)