• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If an Athiest was forced to choose a religion, What would it be?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Q. If you are an Athiest and you were forced to choose a Monothiestic religion i.e Christianity, Judiasm, Islam.
Which of these three would you chose and why.

A. I assume this is one of those gun-at-your-head kinds of scenarios, so it wouldn't really matter which I chose because I would only be paying it lip service at best. That said, it would be a religion that had little or no requirements of outward and private displays of membership, and this would take a bit of looking into.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Why insulting? He was the subject of his post, not you. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Then I'm completely misunderstanding his meaning.
I don't commonly take insult at things posted around here, but I took DawudTalut as meaning that he doesn't believe there are any true atheists, and that deep down we all believe in God.

I've heard that argument before (ie. the atheists are deniers of a God they believe exists at some levels, rather than non-believers)

If that wasn't his intent/meaning, then I'm happy to apologize.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why insulting? He was the subject of his post, not you. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Sure. I can hold an opinion that women are only good for cooking, and chinese are only good for slave labor.

I guess I am entitled to that. Actually, I am more entitled to that than anyone could possibly be to decide that I only think I am an atheist, because it is at least possible to claim evidencial circunstance about such prejudices, while my beliefs are not something other people can guess, much less above my own claims and word.

Opinions can be very insulting indeed, particularly when they disregard known facts purposefully.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I guess I'd choose one of the more liberal christian cults, maybe Friends or Unitarian Universalism. That would have almost no effect on my current life.

dust1n

Zindīq
In this order:

Taoism
Sikhism
Jainism
Zoroastrianism
Confucianism
A number of various indigenous belief systems
Judaism
Quaker
Greek Orthodox
Catholicism
Islam
Protestantism

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
You want to believe? That sure surprises me. It is not something I particularly miss.

I like certain aspects of religion like the community and mythos that makes me wish I could belong in some way yes, but I don't see the point without god belief. I also think it'd be easier if I could believe because god belief offers answers to questions there are no easy answers to. I get that many of the answers religion offers are just guessing, but they're interesting. This is what I meant by I find god belief and the religious mind fascinating.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I like certain aspects of religion like the community and mythos that makes me wish I could belong in some way yes,

That I can easily understand. I think I even share of that.

but I don't see the point without god belief.

Really? I tend to think of that belief as an unwanted distraction, personally. I can understand respecting belief when it exists, but I don't see why anyone would actively want it.

I also think it'd be easier if I could believe because god belief offers answers to questions there are no easy answers to.

And that you perceive as a good thing, I assume?

I get that many of the answers religion offers are just guessing, but they're interesting.

If only. Guessing is fine and often necessary.

This is what I meant by I find god belief and the religious mind fascinating.

Religion is indeed fascinating. But belief in god, at least in the Abrahamic mold... is just odd IMO.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I'm a new atheist too Luis, so I'm not yet totally comfortable in it, if that makes sense. Letting go of religion can feel empty. Maybe that's part of why I feel that way.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I'm a new atheist too Luis, so I'm not yet totally comfortable in it, if that makes sense. Letting go of religion can feel empty. Maybe that's part of why I feel that way.

It is always hard coming out of religion or spiritual practices but you will adjust in time. I fill my time with projects or hobbies, onine activism, etc.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Then I'm completely misunderstanding his meaning.
I don't commonly take insult at things posted around here, but I took DawudTalut as meaning that he doesn't believe there are any true atheists, and that deep down we all believe in God.
Even I he meant just that, it's still just the expression of an opinion. No?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Uh..right. I didn't think the OP meant that literally.

Well I'm only going off of what the OP said...The OP asked if we were "forced" the choose one of the big three which would we choose. I value my freedom to choose and would happily die fighting not choosing either...considering I was being "forced" to choose from one of the bi three....That prompted me to raise the question...what if one happened to choose one but denounced it later and did not want to choose either of the other two....Personally I don't think the OP's question is well thought out....

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

You know I never thought about or considered that's how some people who used to be theist felt/feel. I grew up atheist in a family full of theist. I was never a believer and expressed my view from an early age. As I got older there wasn't anything for me to miss because I never held such views in the first place.

Parsimony

Forcing an atheist to take a religion would be pretty empty and dead. Is it meaningful at all if someone practices a religion just to avoid punishment but doesn't actually believe its core dogma is true?