• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If evolution were true

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
Hi Painted Wolf!

Thank you for the link, I will go check it out.

Thanks again!
Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To the extent that I get it, Biblestudent is attempting to deny the implication that Creationism relies on Willful ignorance and intellectual dishonesty to exist in the first place. He seems to be proposing that we are used to it, but it did not have to be that way.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
To the extent that I get it, Biblestudent is attempting to deny the implication that Creationism relies on Willful ignorance and intellectual dishonesty to exist in the first place. He seems to be proposing that we are used to it, but it did not have to be that way.

Hi LuisDantas!

I'm sure there are people who purposely do not try to learn about anything that might challenge their world view, but do you suppose that many people believe what they do, like Creationism, because they were taught all their lives that the Bible is to be taken literally and that anyone who tells them different is of Satan? If that's been worked into their mind, that most of the world is evil and trying to mislead them, is their ignorance really willful? I have found that people who are raised in rigid environments like fundamentalism see the world in such a radically different way that it is very hard to get them to entertain points of view other than what they have been taught. What would be the best way to present new ideas to such people?

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Hi LuisDantas!

I'm sure there are people who purposely do not try to learn about anything that might challenge their world view, but do you suppose that many people believe what they do, like Creationism, because they were taught all their lives that the Bible is to be taken literally and that anyone who tells them different is of Satan? If that's been worked into their mind, that most of the world is evil and trying to mislead them, is their ignorance really willful? I have found that people who are raised in rigid environments like fundamentalism see the world in such a radically different way that it is very hard to get them to entertain points of view other than what they have been taught. What would be the best way to present new ideas to such people?

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
Then it's just tragic.
Unfortunately, you often can't present them with new ideas because they become very virulently willful about maintaining their ignorance. Some even take it as a point of pride.

I'm glad you liked the link! :D

wa:do

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi, Yeshe Dawa.

do you suppose that many people believe what they do, like Creationism, because they were taught all their lives that the Bible is to be taken literally and that anyone who tells them different is of Satan?

Creationism, specifically, can only exist at this place in our History because people are afraid that it might not be true. In fact, its very existence is in denial of the findings of Evolution, not as a statement of true faith. True faith would embrace the findings of science instead of being scared by them.

If that's been worked into their mind, that most of the world is evil and trying to mislead them, is their ignorance really willful? I have found that people who are raised in rigid environments like fundamentalism see the world in such a radically different way that it is very hard to get them to entertain points of view other than what they have been taught. What would be the best way to present new ideas to such people?

Fear, of course, denies choice. There is a need to address that fear and reach their trusts without scaring them.

Once they realize that they are not in danger, they will spontaneously open up.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
Fear, of course, denies choice. There is a need to address that fear and reach their trusts without scaring them. Once they realize that they are not in danger, they will spontaneously open up.

Hi LuisDantas!

I like very much how you put this! I agree very much. We must meet fear and ignorance with truth and compassion.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe