• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Evolution Were True

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
How, then does one say that 3.5 billion years is enough time for all of life as we know to evolve?

When you were 5 years old, were you reading 300-page novels? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing you were reading books with big pictures that were about 20 pages long. Then all of a sudden in the next 7-8 years, you move on to reading 300-page novels with no pictures at all.

Once you have the basic building blocks, a process can go very quickly. The first step always takes a while, but once it's taken, things can really fly.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Things really started getting going with the addition of HOX genes to the genetic code. That is what let animals diversify so explosively.

All arthropod body designs from centipedes to spiders to crabs and crickets are just simple changes to a few HOX genes.
In chordates it's essentially the same, with timing of switching HOX genes on and off also playing a major role.

Plants developed a similar system independent of us animals called MADS-box.

Once HOX appears some 570 odd million years ago (give or take a few million) you start seeing the explosion of complex multicellular life.

wa:do

You are missing the obvious point. Who created God? Don`t embarass yourself by saying that "God transcends time" or "He has always existed". Step up to the plate and discuss the hard issues. Who cares how life evolved on Earth? Better to ask "what was the mechanism to allow life to evolve on earth?" WHO MADE god?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
You are missing the obvious point. Who created God? Don`t embarass yourself by saying that "God transcends time" or "He has always existed". Step up to the plate and discuss the hard issues. Who cares how life evolved on Earth? Better to ask "what was the mechanism to allow life to evolve on earth?" WHO MADE god?
As the existence of God is neither provable or unprovable, speculation on the origin of God is pointless. Just as speculation on God's will is pointless. Belief in God is based entirely on faith.
The problem is those who cannot, or will not, reconcile their beliefs with the observable world around them. To trust in the "Reveled Revelation" of ones faith over the "Observable Reality" of science and reason is illogical.
The argument for "proof" of evolution by a non-scientific, illogical person is also pointless. They might as well demand "proof" of the composition of the atom, then when we show them the figures, argue back that "well, I have never seen a positron, and you can not build an atom in the lab, so it must not be true"

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Well, stephen, I think that's a point, but not really the point of this thread. If you don't care about how life evolved on earth, you're in the wrong thread. Check the title.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

This question is irrevalent considering neither side of certain theist and non theist can prove or disprove a faith based claim.

Your question about a god is not a "hard issue". It's a NON-Issue...

If you want a hard issue and if you're not believer in evolution then I would posed a hard issue to you, if you're a person that believes in the biblical creation myth. I'd like to know how you or other YECs reconcile the fact that Humans and Neanderthals are different.

If a god created an Adam and an Eve and their children had children and so on and so on then where does the Neanderthal fit in considering his DNA structure is different?

If an Adam and an Eve had children and they, the parents, were truly the only two people on the planet then should there be a vast amount of problems in their genes over time?

Although I consider some of these question tough for YECers to answer other questions are even much harder such as...Why do whales have bones for legs or why is it that chickens have the gene for making teeth?

When you're ready I'll be here....:rolleyes:

Beaudreaux

If evolution were true, we would find fish with transparent heads...or would we?
We would and it is.
090223-01-fish-transparent-head-barreleye-pictures_big.jpg

adimus

We would and it is.
090223-01-fish-transparent-head-barreleye-pictures_big.jpg

This picture reminded me of a sunfish.

sunfish.jpg

When I was 12, I was snorkeling off the coast of a tiny island by the Bahamas. I was with a man who had a big mustache and could not snorkel. I looked ahead and saw a HUGE sunfish about five feet in front of me. I had never seen one except in a book and I though that they were inches across by the picture. I was so scared that I bolted for the shore. They look like a Zombie fish. They look like they have half of their body bitten off.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
If evolution were true, we would find fish with transparent heads...or would we?

Yes, we would and we do;
Google Image Result for http://www.mypettalks.com/content/gallery/fish/anm13-DeepOceanFish-Transparent.jpg

Google Image Result for http://k41.pbase.com/g6/81/662581/2/77128606.lUePO7K8.jpg

Asked and answered. Now do you believe evolution to be true?

No?

Still doubt it?

Maybe you can inform us why chickens have the gene for making teeth. Are you able to do that? I can assure you the answer is not in your bible.

Last edited:

RemnanteK

Seeking More Truth
I think Beaudreaux got the point.
I believe in 'theory of evolution' but I don't think simple science can explain everything.
If we are still finding things, how much have we missed.
Science isn't the answer, it's the question.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I believe in 'theory of evolution' but I don't think simple science can explain everything.

Science isn't the answer FOR YOU. You have chosen to find your answer in your religion, and that is fine. Just don't ask the rest of us to participate in your delusions.

"My desire to believe in God could not overcome my ability to reason".

In your case, you are more than willing to suspend your ability to reason so that you will not have to question your faith.

RemnanteK

Seeking More Truth
Science isn't the answer FOR YOU. You have chosen to find your answer in your religion, and that is fine. Just don't ask the rest of us to participate in your delusions.

"My desire to believe in God could not overcome my ability to reason".

In your case, you are more than willing to suspend your ability to reason so that you will not have to question your faith.

You presume to much.

I don't mix the to belief systems of science and 'religion'.

I just don't think man is smart enough to have all the answers.

I look at both as a business, and fallible.

Well tell the stories of who is right and wrong without realizing we all looking at only part of a truth.

Logical Holism my friend, you have faith in your truth as I have faith in mine.

What I do know is I know my truth and it knows me, without a relationship of knowledge this could never be.

So to sum it all up, science and religion are both a sham. My truth is based on what and who I know as God.
I'm happy, very happy, in my so called delusion, and I hope you are as happy in yours.
Weather all my blessings are mere luck or not it's working for me, and I'm happy.
I know my God and he is my friend, and sadly their is nothing anyone can say to change that for me.
It would be like trying to convince you that someone you love and know doesn't exist.

All I'm trying to say is I trust science, religion, and politics all about the same.

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I don't "believe" in evolution... that implies some sort of faith. I don't "believe" in gravity or germs either.

I accept evolution based on the evidence provided to support it and the experiments done to demonstrate it.

I believe in creator... based on personal experiences and the working of faith.

I have no evidence to prove my faith to others.

wa:do

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
So to sum it all up, science and religion are both a sham. My truth is based on what and who I know as God.
I'm happy, very happy, in my so called delusion, and I hope you are as happy in yours.
Weather all my blessings are mere luck or not it's working for me, and I'm happy.
I know my God and he is my friend, and sadly their is nothing anyone can say to change that for me.
It would be like trying to convince you that someone you love and know doesn't exist.

All I'm trying to say is I trust science, religion, and politics all about the same.

Thank you, now that we know you believe science is a sham, we can ignore any statements you make using science.
Conversely, congratulations on finding the path that works for you.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Did you even think about this before you typed it? What does it even mean?

Actually, science isn't the answer, unless your question is, "What the best way to find the answer about how the natural world works?" Science isn't an answer, it's a way to find answers to some important questions.

Of course science, simple or complex, can't explain everything, nor does it pretend to. It does a better job than anything else we've figured out so far, though.