• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I go to heaven, can I visit relatives who might be in hell?

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
Greetings!

>If I go to Heaven, can I still visit relatives who might be in hell?

Given that Heaven and hell are spiritual conditions, not places, and that our scriptures say we'll still know each other and interact with each other in the Next Life, this should be no problem whatever!

Peace, :)

Bruce

So, if I’m “spiritually” in heaven and my brother is “spiritually” in hell, will that mean he will seem really bummed every time I talk to him? Or will I be in some sort of spiritual bliss, which makes me think that everything is just wonderful?

Just_me_Mike

Really?
I must have missed that verse.

Would you please be so kind as to present the relevant verses?
I will chime in. She is right according to the bible, there will be no chance to do such a thing.

Everything will be destroyed, so there will be nothing left to visit. I would say chapter 2 and chapter 20 of Revelation speaks on this subject. Surely to be debated, but I understand it to say that death and hell will be destroyed. If it is destroyed than what is there to visit?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I will chime in. She is right according to the bible, there will be no chance to do such a thing.

Everything will be destroyed, so there will be nothing left to visit. I would say chapter 2 and chapter 20 of Revelation speaks on this subject. Surely to be debated, but I understand it to say that death and hell will be destroyed. If it is destroyed than what is there to visit?
Thank you.
I will have a look.

MSizer

MSizer
So, if the Bible is true, I will never again see any relatives that are in a different place than me?

I started a thread a while back that was similar. I asked how you could be happy forever in heaven if you knew your son or daughter was in hell suffering for eternity. The common religious opinion seemed to be that there would be no sort of connection between heaven and hell, and some even argued that those in heaven won't remember their loved ones who ended up in hell. I (and others) found that rather disturbing.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I have a brother who is gay and according to some, that means he is going to hell. I love my brother and I was just thinking about how awful it would be if I ended up in heaven and he went to hell. Is there any chance that I could take a field trip to hell to see him?

I guess God is not so "illogical" to put us in eternal hell.:)

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
I started a thread a while back that was similar. I asked how you could be happy forever in heaven if you knew your son or daughter was in hell suffering for eternity. The common religious opinion seemed to be that there would be no sort of connection between heaven and hell, and some even argued that those in heaven won't remember their loved ones who ended up in hell. I (and others) found that rather disturbing.

I have heard the “you won’t remember” argument too. If this is correct, then it doesn’t make a lick of sense as to why anyone would be concerned with whether or not you go to heaven or hell, considering you are not going to be able to recall your life on earth and consequently “you” will not even be “you” anymore. I thought the whole point was to be rewarded for your good deeds. It doesn’t seem like that would matter much if you can’t remember anything…

BruceDLimber

So, if I’m “spiritually” in heaven and my brother is “spiritually” in hell, will that mean he will seem really bummed every time I talk to him? Or will I be in some sort of spiritual bliss, which makes me think that everything is just wonderful?

An excellent question; I'm glad you asked that! :)

If there are no further questions, class is dismissed.

Bruce

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
According to my religion, he won't be going to hell, so it shouldn't be an issue.
According to your religion, does anybody go to hell? Or, in your religion, is there even a heaven and hell? I don't know a thing about LDS...

I Am

I personally don't have an oppinion on what happens to individual, conscious beings after the occurance of 'death'. However in such a hypothetical situation in which that afterlife happens to be real, I would assume that God or whatever "higher force" one might conceive of wouldn't have a problem with your brother being gay.

As for the Biblical interpretation of this, I cannot say. I know many Christians these days are open to homosexuality, and believe God loves all human beings despite sexual orientation. (I'm a former Catholic byu the way.) However many are also very much against it. I suppose it's up to your own interpretation of the Bible - that is, if you believe in it.

Last edited:

no-body

Doesn't Jesus say that heavenly relationship are nothing like earthly relationships, so if you can even get into heaven you simply won't care.

One assumes it is because you'll be so stoned from God's love that you will never get bored, it will feel better than a thousand speedballs and orgasms at the same time. That and your perfect cyborg body should keep you entertained for the rest of eternity, pshh family.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You'd need to get a special pass, a safe-passage and an infernal visitor's visa, plus appropriate fireproofing.
It involves considerable paperwork.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have heard the “you won’t remember” argument too. If this is correct, then it doesn’t make a lick of sense as to why anyone would be concerned with whether or not you go to heaven or hell, considering you are not going to be able to recall your life on earth and consequently “you” will not even be “you” anymore. I thought the whole point was to be rewarded for your good deeds. It doesn’t seem like that would matter much if you can’t remember anything…

You wont be you anymore. Not ever. One of the reasons why I smashed away at the rose colored panes of Christendom.

Most of the common responses to this type of inquiry is simply that God knows best.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is

And if I have no recollection of me or my sins, and I'm in hell, I'm being punished for eternity without knowing what I did wrong. Sounds like one of my wife's giult trips.