• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it's AI is it Art?

If it's AI is it Art?

• Yes

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Watchmen

Premium Member
I think saying AI cannot create art is short-sighted. What is talent, inspiration, and creativity other than taking information available and transposing it into some form, whether that be visual, audio, print, or so on. The “artist” chooses what information to use, the techniques to use, and so on. But those choices are the result of chemical processes in the brain and firing neurons. How is AI any different? AI will select what information to use, will decide the techniques, and so on, and its choices are the result of its own computer processes “firing.”

Wonderful idea for thread!

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I think saying AI cannot create art is short-sighted. What is talent, inspiration, and creativity other than taking information available and transposing it into some form, whether that be visual, audio, print, or so on. The “artist” chooses what information to use, the techniques to use, and so on. But those choices are the result of chemical processes in the brain and firing neurons. How is AI any different? AI will select what information to use, will decide the techniques, and so on, and its choices are the result of its own computer processes “firing.”

If AI ever became sentient then I may credit it with the ability to do art

But until then it is just a glorified calculator

Mindless and no sense of self

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Setting aside that AI isn't really AI (tech bros really jumped the gun on calling large learning models "intelligence")?

If you only value product and not process, sure - it's art.

If you understand that process matters more than product, no - it's not art.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

I would say that AI could be a tool for artists...

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Only humans make baseless claims with such ease.
I think one of the defining features of art is that it is made by humans

So by definition a non human cannot make art

It just copies and mimics, it knows what art looks like and then mimics it

There is something a bit cargo cult about AI "art"

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
That it is a thing that only humans can do
Apparently not only humans:
(RIP to her, she passed away earlier this year.)

I view art as a manifestation of the creative aspect of the soul. I just don't believe only humans have souls. I do agree that AI cannot create art or anything because it's just a machine or program, and cannot express anything as there's nothing internal for it to express. It cannot imagine.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Apparently not only humans:
(RIP to her, she passed away earlier this year.)

I view art as a manifestation of the creative aspect of the soul. I just don't believe only humans have souls. I do agree that AI cannot create art or anything because it's just a machine or program, and cannot express anything as there's nothing internal for it to express. It cannot imagine.
I love pigs, they are more intelligent than dogs

I feel bad about eating them

Someone once said that cats look down at you, dogs look up to you, but pigs treat you as their equal

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I love pigs, they are more intelligent than dogs

I feel bad about eating them

Someone once said that cats look down at you, dogs look up to you, but pigs treat you as their equal
I love them, too. It sucks but I don't feel bad as I accept it as part of life and nature, and I love all life, anyway. We can certainly do better at treating them more humanely. She was a great ambassador for her species.

Now wild boars...screw them. They're violent ********. Lol

Secret Chief

Degrow!
AI is absolutely incapable of producing art

There is no talent, inspiration or creativity involved

All it produces is inhuman, soulless, derivative dross

It mimics art
So you can tell for sure if some music you heard was created with AI or not?