• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it's AI is it Art?

If it's AI is it Art?

• Yes

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Really? But you just said it would be
without talent, inspiration or creativity and be soulless. Easily spotted surely?
Anything made by AI that passes as being human made is inauthentic and dishonest

It can feign having creativity even though it is incapable of it

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
You can't decide if something shows creativity?
Creativity can be feigned

The fruits of mimicry can be passed off as those of creativity

AI absorbs huge volumes of creativity and learns how to copy it so that it can try and pass its unoriginality off as art

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Passing the Turing Test doesn't make an AI human or mean that it has some internal mental life

It just means that it can impersonate humans

Consider the Chinese Room scenario
I have, but Searle developed his scenario before there was anything like neural networks and they way that they "learn" rather than are specifically programmed. This technology is, therefore, of an entirely different nature than the digital computer programming that I used to do, and very well, if I may be permitted a moment of pride.

I don't know yet what this technology might be capable of. If what it learns can be altered by new information and new internal processing which allows it to modify or even reverse prior learning, then I suspect it will be approaching strong AI. Those are just my thoughts, of course. I'm by no means sure.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If your first thought is, "Oh, it's Stevie Nicks" then it hasn't exactly passed the Turing Test, don't you think?:D
Have you ever engaged in a really involved argument with AI (ChatGPT, for example)? I have, and I have to see I'm most impressed by the technology. Once again, I can't say that it is Strong AI yet, but what @Eddi said was that AI could "fool" us. If that's the case, then I think it passes the Turing test.

Of course, it could be that the reason it might fool us is our lack of insight or analysis, in which case it didn't pass the Turing Test -- we just weren't smart enough to see how it failed.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Have you ever engaged in a really involved argument with AI (ChatGPT, for example)? I have, and I have to see I'm most impressed by the technology. Once again, I can't say that it is Strong AI yet, but what @Eddi said was that AI could "fool" us. If that's the case, then I think it passes the Turing test.

Of course, it could be that the reason it might fool us is our lack of insight or analysis, in which case it didn't pass the Turing Test -- we just weren't smart enough to see how it failed.
Sorry, I guess my attempt at humor missed the mark there...

Secret Chief

Degrow!
On a vaguely related note...
I ran a race last Sunday (15K seeing as you ask). There's two photographers on the course, snapping away. Afterwards, traditionally, one finds your piccies by wading through several pages of photos after selecting the grouping for your expected finishing time. The latest thing now is: you upload a selfie and AI checks it against all the photos and loads the ones that have you on. Whoosh.

PureX

Veteran Member
And if so, what does that say about art ... or, for that matter, about AI?
The answer to the question is "no". Only humans can make and appreciate art. AI will only mimic doing it to fool and confuse people. The way our government mimics protecting the rights, freedoms, and welfare of the people it governs in order to fool and exploit them.

AI is a wet-dream for con-men and criminals everywhere. Their lies will become impossible for us to detect and the government will do absolutely nothing to protect society from them. In fact, the politicians will be the first and main users of this new form of deceit.

Last edited:

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
The answer to the question is "no". Only humans can make and appreciate art. AI will only mimic going it to fool and confuse people. The way our government mimics protecting the rights, freedoms, and welfare of the people it governs on order to fool and exploit them.

AI is a wet-dream for con-men and criminals everywhere. Their lies will become impossible for us to detect and the government will do absolutely nothing to protect society from them. In fact, the politicians will be the first and main users of this new form of deceit.
Absolutely and the clue is in the name: AI is artificial

And if a thing is artificial then it is not authentic

All an artificial intelligence can produce is artificial art

And artificial art is not real art

Therefore anything made by an AI cannot be art if we are being true to the definition of art

Secret Chief

Degrow!
true to the definition of art
What is your definition of art?

IMG_7763.jpeg

PureX

Veteran Member
Absolutely and the clue is in the name: AI is artificial

And if a thing is artificial then it is not authentic

All an artificial intelligence can produce is artificial art

And artificial art is not real art

Therefore anything made by an AI cannot be art if we are being true to the definition of art
The criminals are already doing it, and of course they are hiding the fact that it's AI. And as more and more people come to realize that they are being fooled, they will come to distrust and reject all art. Or they will accept any crap that gets put in front of them and called "art".