• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it's AI is it Art?

If it's AI is it Art?

• Yes

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
The criminals are already doing it, and of course they are hiding the fact that it's AI. And as more and more people come to realize that they are being fooled, they will come to distrust and reject all art. Or they will accept any crap that gets put in front of them and called "art".
I have seen a lot of AI images on Facebook lately

All variations on a theme

There are literally hundreds of ones featuring Jesus in situations that make less than zero sense

And in the comments thousands of people say "amen" at them, even if Jesus is drawn as having four arms

Very depressing

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Only the charlatans would use it. Real artists will know better than to allow machines to make fake art in their name. But the posers and charlatans will flock to it all trying to be the first.

Eventually there will be an exception to this axiom here and there, but they aren't going to matter.
I recall that much the same things were said of the use of computers for the editing of pictures and the creation of cgi images...yet both are accepted as art forms now. The question of how it would be possible to use such a tool creatively is another matter, imo

Secret Chief

Degrow!
If someone deliberately made it as a work of art then yes
So by this definition, if I said I've deliberately made a work of art, it's art then - even though I tell you later that I utilised AI. Or would it stop being art when I told you this?

Or my deliberately made work is not art, for some reason? But the urinal is?

PureX

Veteran Member
I have seen a lot of AI images on Facebook lately

All variations on a theme

There are literally hundreds of ones featuring Jesus in situations that make less than zero sense

And in the comments thousands of people say "amen" at them, even if Jesus is drawn as having four arms

Very depressing
Yes, well, those people have been living with the habit of being fooled all their lives. They WANT to be fooled. It's how they live.

But everyone is becoming more and more like them. When every story we get has 5 contradicting sides to it we end up just choosing the one we like. It's too much work to try and excavate the truth from the untruth. And AI is going to make it nearly impossible. When no one knows what to believe they're going to believe whatever they want. This has been happening for a long time. And it's already gotten bad. But it'll get even worse.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
So by this definition, if I said I've deliberately made a work of art, it's art then - even though I tell you later that I utilised AI. Or would it stop being art when I told you this?

Or my deliberately made work is not art, for some reason? But the urinal is?
Is telling a person to draw something on your behalf an act of creating art?

No

Therefore telling an AI to draw something on your behalf isn't either

Whatever AI comes up with is in no way a human artefact and art is by definition a type of human artefact

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
You mean on of your defining features.
Well yes

I have never claimed to speak for anyone other than myself

And I think my definition is a good one

Why don't you address the substance of what I say? Instead of being continually negative?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Is telling a person to draw something on your behalf an act of creating art?

No

Therefore telling an AI to draw something on your behalf isn't either

Whatever AI comes up with is in no way a human artefact and art is by definition a type of human artefact
Is telling red paint to be red paint on a canvas an act of creating art?

You've said you can be "fooled" so how will you know in the future whether, by your definition, something is a work of art?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Is telling red paint to be red paint on a canvas an act of creating art?

You've said you can be "fooled" so how will you know in the future whether, by your definition, something is a work of art?
I don't know

But I fear AI will destroy art

It will undercut real artists with real talent

It cannot create art it can only mimic it, that's how it works

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Why don't you address the substance of what I say? Instead of being continually negative?

Because the substance of what you said has no positive value.

You assert​
AI cannot produce art​
because​
art cannot be produced by AI​
because​
you said so.​
It's tautological nonsense that manages to (I'll bet thoughtlessly) belittle all non-human species in the process.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Because the substance of what you said has no positive value.

You assert​
AI cannot produce art​
because​
art cannot be produced by AI​
because​
you said so.​
It's tautological nonsense that manages to (I'll bet thoughtlessly) belittle all non-human species in the process.
Not because I "said so"....

But because of the definition of art which I am operating

I think my definition is reasonable and grounded in reality

Can I ask, how do you define art?