• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it's AI is it Art?

If it's AI is it Art?

• Yes

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And if so, what does that say about art ... or, for that matter, about AI?
For the time being the answer is 'No', however there is future potential for machine intelligence (not mere AI) to produce art. When I say "Machine intelligence" I mean autonomous systems which collect their own data, like people and animals do; by walking around and experience the world and imagining. AI is something else which is fed lots of data collected on the internet. What we have right now is AI making imitations of art.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
You posted a pic made by AI along with the text:

My reply was making the point that although it may look like art that doesn't necessarily mean it is art, if it has been churned out by an algorithm

Just like how salt and sugar look the same (white grainy powder) but are totally different
The image was an AI rendering of Art Garfunkel.

It looked very much like Art. Here is a real photograph...

960x0.jpg

Here is the AI rendering...

8-hzxJUUahje4sYrW.png

Now tell me that that AI isn't Art. :p

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
The image was an AI rendering of Art Garfunkel.

It looked very much like Art. Here is a real photograph...

960x0.jpg

Here is the AI rendering...

View attachment 92800

Now tell me that that AI isn't Art. :p
If it looked less like a photo I would be more inclined to call it art

Photorealism is pretty straightforward

If it produced something more abstract (like something Picasso would do) then I would be more impressed

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For the time being the answer is 'No', however there is future potential for machine intelligence (not mere AI) to produce art. When I say "Machine intelligence" I mean autonomous systems which collect their own data, like people and animals do; by walking around and experience the world and imagining. AI is something else which is fed lots of data collected on the internet. What we have right now is AI making imitations of art.
This reflects how I tend to view it too. When so-called AI stops being more or less a glorified plagiarism tool, we'll talk. Actual AI would be autonomous like you describe here - a being that explores the world in an embodied way and has its own distinct experiences. Like all other living things do. Art is, very specifically, something that emerges out of lived experiences and relationships... then attempting to express those ineffable experiences and relationships in a way that offers a glimpse into the ephemeral.

At least in the more traditional sense.

There is, I suppose "commercial" art that really is just about product, not process or meaning. That doesn't tend to be what the high minded artsy types consider art. I remember not particularly understanding this distinction at the time I was doing art as one of my majors in college. It led to some... interesting conflicts between me and the faculty... haha. But as an adult - and especially after training with OBOD - I actually get what they were on about now. It's not too surprising that it was through religion that I learned what art is - religion and art have a lot in common with one another in terms of being expressions of the human condition and lived experience.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
If it looked less like a photo I would be more inclined to call it art

Photorealism is pretty straightforward

If it produced something more abstract (like something Picasso would do) then I would be more impressed
Here ya go...Ask and ye shall receive...

8-e8hcGmT4MoMtjS0.png

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member