• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it's AI is it Art?

If it's AI is it Art?

• Yes

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When the artificial system has plenty of real-life living experience, and wants to express its understanding and interpretation of that experience through visual or other media, then, at that point, can we really start to think of AI art as 'art.'

Maybe...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
AI is absolutely incapable of producing art

There is no talent, inspiration or creativity involved

All it produces is inhuman, soulless, derivative dross

It mimics art
Some of the Greeks felt largely the same about art itself. It's not life, it's an imitation of life. It's artificial and not real. According to Aristotle the proper society has no place for art because it's a souless copy that serves no real purpose.

Nimos

And if so, what does that say about art ... or, for that matter, about AI?
I would probably call it art, given how poor the definition of art is.

However, that doesn't mean that a person using AI to do it should have the same praise as someone mastering a craft.

But in the end I think whether one uses AI or some other tools for creating something, it is still the person choosing what expresses their emotion. Not a lot different from a photographer. They also choose which pictures they like and don't like.

And there are lots of examples of things considered art, which has less human involvement in them than AI art does.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
So artists don't commission paintings?
Traditionally, classical music composers were commissioned by the great and the good to write works, usually with prompts (as with AI) as to its required nature eg "bombastic, sweeping, uplifting, orchestral." My hubby's going to be crowned king so I want you to create the right vibe...

PureX

Veteran Member
Traditionally, classical music composers were commissioned by the great and the good to write works, usually with prompts (as with AI) as to its required nature eg "bombastic, sweeping, uplifting, orchestral." My hubby's going to be crowned king so I want you to create the right vibe...
Yes, but real human artists found ways of expressing their own unique views and experiences of the world within those commercial constraints. It's what made their artworks, art. AI has no individual views or experiences to interject into such an endeavor. The best it could do would be to interject the mimicked uniqueness of other humans from the past, and fob them off as "art". Yet by definition it is not art. And it never could be.

PureX

Veteran Member
Some of the Greeks felt largely the same about art itself. It's not life, it's an imitation of life. It's artificial and not real. According to Aristotle the proper society has no place for art because it's a souless copy that serves no real purpose.
Some people feel that way about the mentally retarded - that they are not really (fully) human, and so are just taking of space and resources that ought to be reserved for the "real" humans.

The point here is that what "some people" think is art in a society is of no relevance to what the majority should be thinking is art in an honest, healthy society.