• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus was a sacrifice...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
And we know this how?
Through an exegesis of the text, wherein a relative early or late date of the quotation is determined, discovery of multiple attention of the quotation between different source materials, and determination of theological or ideological (and linguistic) similarities between the quotation in question and other, less questionable quotations of Jesus.

sojourner

How about Jesus' prayer in the Garden of Gethsename? All of the disciples were asleep, so how could they record/quote that?
Since none of the gospels is an eyewitness account, we can't be sure of anything in that particular regard. The "authenticity" of most of Jesus' quotes are determined by their inclusion in Q, to begin with.

sojourner

A firm study...one gospel to another...and discrepancies are obvious.

Mark, Mathew, Luke have the Carpenter in the wilderness 40 days and nights immediately following His baptism.

John has Him at a wedding feast changing water into wine.

or maybe I not sure.....anyone care to affirm this?
I'll be the first to confirm it. The gospels were all written independently of each other, and are in no way collaborative efforts. naturally, there will be discrepancies, such as the glaring differences in genealogical lists.

sojourner

Finding a cure for cancer might have been more useful.

Cio

- viole
The gospel writers didn't know about cancer, did they! Plus, I'm not sure how such a cure would have fit into the theological scheme of the book. This is the kind of nonsense that tends to happen when we project our own expectations upon ancient writings.

tkdrocks

Mellowing with Age
The metaphors and myths of religion are similarly rooted, just as you mention with music theory. So are many of the ritual practices, if you know what to look for.

I don't think God speaks only through selected people, texts, or metaphors. Each religion tries to take ownership of the myths and metaphors and spin them a specific way, but that in no way means that any religion has an exclusive ownership of truth.

When you say similarly rooted do you mean in a verifiable fashion that can be falsified?

tkdrocks

Mellowing with Age
The gospel writers didn't know about cancer, did they! Plus, I'm not sure how such a cure would have fit into the theological scheme of the book. This is the kind of nonsense that tends to happen when we project our own expectations upon ancient writings.

God forbid that you expect to glean anything useful from divinely inspired books. It didn't have to be a cure for cancer. How about anything that could be identified as something special information.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'll be the first to confirm it. The gospels were all written independently of each other, and are in no way collaborative efforts. naturally, there will be discrepancies, such as the glaring differences in genealogical lists.

I lean to focus on the events in the Carpenter's life and quotes.

sojourner

God forbid that you expect to glean anything useful from divinely inspired books. It didn't have to be a cure for cancer. How about anything that could be identified as something special information.
Who's to say that the metaphors aren't useful?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, the atheist balance will remain intact. When people switch gods, they become atheistic to every other god.

Think much?
Realizing your error as you speak .....and then changing your mind....is a good thing.

Now granted....Man has been around a long time and you'd think he'd know better by now.

But you can't blame God for that.
God gave Man dominion.
The shallow minded are screwing things up for the rest of us.

tkdrocks

Mellowing with Age
Think much?
Realizing your error as you speak .....and then changing your mind....is a good thing.

Now granted....Man has been around a long time and you'd think he'd know better by now.

But you can't blame God for that.
God gave Man dominion.
The shallow minded are screwing things up for the rest of us.

Doing my best to follow you. You asked if Atheism would die if a new religion came into being. My response conveyed that we are all atheists to other religions. I am not sure where the blaming god part comes from or who it is directed at. I don't blame him/her. Of course to blame someone, you first have to acknowledge that they exist.

Does everyone that has a different opinion than yourself have a shallow mind? What exactly are they screwing up?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
And Man would gain speed in overrunning the planet and it's resources.
The end of Man would come even quicker.

Ok, it was a good idea to leave cancer in place, genetic deseases and other calamities and just do something more useful like walking on water, turn water into wine, cursing trees and other impressive stuff.

I appreciate His concern of slowing down the end of man.

May I suggest to Him to utterly destroy a couple of continents so that man has a little more time?

Ciao

- viole

Eileen

Through an exegesis of the text, wherein a relative early or late date of the quotation is determined, discovery of multiple attention of the quotation between different source materials, and determination of theological or ideological (and linguistic) similarities between the quotation in question and other, less questionable quotations of Jesus.

and where can one find this information? Whose exegesis? Whose determination of early and late?and can you give an example of a less questionable quotation of Yeshua

sojourner

and where can one find this information?
scholarly journals of peer-reviewed articles, scholarly commentaries, the TDNT, books by eminent scholars, etc.
Whose exegesis?
Take your pick of any of a number of authoritative scholars -- or do your own.
Whose determination of early and late?
See above.
can you give an example of a less questionable quotation of Yeshua
the Beatitudes.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Ok, it was a good idea to leave cancer in place, genetic deseases and other calamities and just do something more useful like walking on water, turn water into wine, cursing trees and other impressive stuff.

I appreciate His concern of slowing down the end of man.

May I suggest to Him to utterly destroy a couple of continents so that man has a little more time?

Ciao

- viole

Like the flood?.....
Not likely.....next time fire.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Doing my best to follow you. You asked if Atheism would die if a new religion came into being. My response conveyed that we are all atheists to other religions. I am not sure where the blaming god part comes from or who it is directed at. I don't blame him/her. Of course to blame someone, you first have to acknowledge that they exist.

Does everyone that has a different opinion than yourself have a shallow mind? What exactly are they screwing up?

This world and the next.

Maybe you've noticed....life is just complicated enough to sort out the ones that can'....or won't ..follow.
Some call that evolution.

It leans also to the next world.
Everyone that believes wants to go to heaven.
If you go....it's because you belong there.
If you don't believe....you won't.

What's so shallow about that?