• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"If Knoxville Kids Skip Class for Bible Study, Satanists Want in on the Action"

I think the school board will:

• Accede to the Satanist's wishes

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Reject the Satanist's wishes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Reject the program entirely

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm not going back through 13 pages, but

My recollection is that you tried to claim that Satanism is institutionally immoral, and so shouldn't be given access to children, but Christian access was okay.
Maybe that wasn't you, but somebody did.

The institutional protection given to pedophiles by the RCC is solid evidence that such a claim is demonstrably wrong.
Tom

Nah, I never said that. @Father Heathen was trying to get under my skin and started making more nasty comments after calling me son, and kid and stuff. He ended up taking pot shots at Catholicism, and so I've just been on the defensive ever since.

...Thanks a lot @Father Heathen... Boy. :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've been to both Catholic and public schools, and I've seen much more violence, selfishness, and greed in public school systems.

Why is that then?
I forgot to come back to this one.

It's because Catholic schools can be very choosy about the students and parents. They don't encourage uninvolved parents and can expell problem students without even refunding tuition. Parents who really care about their children's education will pop for tuition, while probably also funding the public schools. At least mine did.

I also remember the night before the first day of the school year, when I was a kid. My dad made a show of signing the parental consent form for corporal punishment at the discretion of the school. And let us kids know that if we got punishment at school, my parents weren't going to argue with the school. We'd get punished again when we got home.
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Because it is nonsense.
Religious people are no more or less moral than anyone else. Religion is not required to be a moral person.

Unless you think you can demonstrate that your claim is accurate ...

I don't think I'm capable of taking on another argument at this point. To be honest, I've been working powerlines all night, and ripped a pole in half a few hours ago pulling wire, and had a bit of a close call. I'm beat, bro. And honestly, I'm a little delirious at this point.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't think I'm capable of taking on another argument at this point. To be honest, I've been working powerlines all night, and ripped a pole in half a few hours ago pulling wire, and had a bit of a close call. I'm beat, bro. And honestly, I'm a little delirious at this point.
I'm glad you're alright. That sounds like a bit of a trauma. Get some rest, we'll all be here after you get some sleep.
Tom:handok:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You really think the Church of Satan is going to go to the police and report sexual abuse?
Again, why wouldn't they? In fact, #9 of the "The eleven satanic rules of the earth" is "Do not harm little children."

Of course it's likely they won't, considering some satanic sects tend to do sexually deviant/ erotic type things.
Who, when, where? Can you cite any documented, real-world examples of satanic sects preying on children? Or are you breaking one of your own commandments to bear false witness?

Your just bitter that these satanists have far more integrity and decency than those disgusting priests that you drop to your knees before.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Nah, I never said that. @Father Heathen was trying to get under my skin and started making more nasty comments after calling me son, and kid and stuff. He ended up taking pot shots at Catholicism, and so I've just been on the defensive ever since.

...Thanks a lot @Father Heathen... Boy. :)
My comments aren't nasty; they're nurturing. I'm not trying to get under your skin, but rather uplift your spirits by imparting insight and wisdom to carry you throughout your day. :)

agorman

Premium Member
Why don't they teach kids topics like how to cook or how to drive? Or how to make a resume? How to treat a wound? How to survive in the forest? Something useful for a change!

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Why don't they teach kids topics like how to cook or how to drive? Or how to make a resume? How to treat a wound? How to survive in the forest? Something useful for a change!
I personally think that teaching first aid in school would a huge benefit both to them and society. Potentially thousands of lives could be saved every year if most people had even a basic understanding of CPR.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You really think the Church of Satan is going to go to the police and report sexual abuse? Of course it's likely they won't, considering some satanic sects tend to do sexually deviant/ erotic type things.

Some might report sexual abuse. But if one looks at the problem across society, it seems that a lot of people (regardless of their religion) generally don't report such things. It's a sad commentary on society, but some of it originates with religion for creating huge stigmas and taboos about sex and how "dirty" it is - making people feel guilty and ashamed about it.

It's different if it's a simple assault. Reporting is no problem: "This guy hit me; I want to press charges." Same for robbery or other crimes of a non-sexual nature. I don't know about the Church of Satan, but my sense is that if someone is raised in an atmosphere of greater openness and rational talk about sex, then they may be better prepared and know exactly where the line is drawn - and be more likely to report it to the police if one is molested or sexually assaulted.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

"This semester, the Knox County Public Schools in Tennessee is conducting a pilot program in which parents can allow their kids to leave school an hour early, one day a month, in order to attend religious classes with The Church at Sterchi Hill (about two miles away). The program is sponsored by the church and the school district has nothing to do with it, per se, except to say they won’t punish the kids for leaving early if they’re part of the program.

The kids will also get credit for attending school even though they’re at Bible study — so the choice for parents really boils down to whether they want their kids taking music or art class, or language arts, or learning about the Bible. Right now, 70 students are participating in the Bible study.

But if this Christian program is allowed to exist, wouldn’t that open the door for non-Christian groups to take advantage of the situation?

That’s what the newly formed Satanic Children’s Ministry of Knoxville intends to find out. According to a Facebook post this week, the (independent) group says it just wants to make its case to the school board. The good thing is that local news has picked up the story and the school board is now being asked questions about whether Satanic release time is a real possibility.
source

What do you think the outcome will be?

What do you think the outcome should be?

I think satanist should start these initiatives before the Christians do. Instead of being reactive, they should be proactive. That should save some time.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited: