• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is no god. What's the purpose of this life?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I believe Human beings were created, for way more than working a 9-5, raising a family, then dying. What are your thoughts?

Agreed. 100%.

Collecting wisdom and sharing it? Seperating good from evil? Forgive me if this is a little too personal, overcoming outrageous hardships and inspiring others to do the same? Learning how to harness the unlimited power of human creativity ( which I consider included in Gen 1:26-27 )?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I believe Human beings were created, for way more than working a 9-5, raising a family, then dying. What are your thoughts?

First, I don't believe humans were created. Second, because I don't rely on God or other gods to find my purpose, I believe that I need to find it for myself, which I have done. My purpose in life includes being a wife and a mother, as well as a couple of other reasons that I consider part of my purpose in life.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My purpose in life includes being a wife and a mother, as well as a couple of other reasons that I consider part of my purpose in life.
In my opinion you are fulfilling the most important part of your purpose by being a wife and mother. I don't know what the Bible says about that but it is a Baha'i belief. You are also fulfilling another part of your purpose by doing the work you do. I think you know what I am referring to but it is probably not wise to discuss it on this thread.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
According to my beliefs, God did not create us, we evolved, although I believe that God set the process of evolution in motion.

I do not believe that the purpose of this life is only to work, raise a family, and enjoy life, although I think that by working and raising a family we thereby fulfill part of the purpose of our existence, which is to acquire the spiritual attributes, qualities of character that will be needed in heaven.

I believe that the primary purose of this earthly existence is to know and love God. We can know God through scriptures and we can love God by prayer and obedience, and by loving other people and everything that is part of God's creation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I fail to see how a god would be helpful in giving any human life any purpose.

A duty to fulfill, perhaps. Is that a purpose?

The way I see it, purpose is a sort of motivational peace. It exists where it can be found. It can be nurtured in certain conditions. It can be lost when it is, not really out of our volition.

Gods have nothing to do with that, except perhaps as an aid to express our feelings. Purpose has to be found in our own feelings, not externally.