• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is no god. What's the purpose of this life?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I believe Human beings were created, for way more than working a 9-5, raising a family, then dying. What are your thoughts?
With or without a God, and depending upon where one was born and with what abilities, it seems to me that we are often free or can be free to choose our own purposes in life - given the constraints that we usually live within societies. And being so, I and no doubt many others, would prefer this than being tied to some set purpose coming from a religious belief and which just as well could conflict with the beliefs of someone else having a different religious belief - or with those without any such beliefs. But then many might prefer slavery or conformity in preference to freedom.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe Human beings were created, for way more than working a 9-5, raising a family, then dying. What are your thoughts?
Do you mean "created" as in created by one's mother and father, or do you mean popping into existence through the will of some deity?

In either case, to answer your question in the title, the purpose of life, as I see it, is to understand one's nature and the nature of their perceived reality through experiences.

And while this body/mind may one day perish, my true nature is eternal, so I'm not concerned about death. I don't die.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Why does there have to be a purpose?
"It is purpose that created us, purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us; it is purpose that defines, purpose that binds us." ~ Agent Smith - The Matrix Reloaded

PureX

Veteran Member
This is America. You exist you serve the desires of the wealthy elites. And when you are no longer serving their desires, they will let you die under a bridge, somewhere. They are the gods of this world. Be thankful you have a job, and they let you live at all.

Colt

If humans weren't created, then there would be no introspective questions about purpose (values).

"If universe reality is only one vast machine, then man must be outside of the universe and apart from it in order to recognize such a fact and become conscious of the insight of such an evaluation.

If man is only a machine, by what technique does this man come to believe or claim to know that he is only a machine? The experience of self-conscious evaluation of one’s self is never an attribute of a mere machine. A self-conscious and avowed mechanist is the best possible answer to mechanism. If materialism were a fact, there could be no self-conscious mechanist. It is also true that one must first be a moral person before one can perform immoral acts." UB 1955

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If God just allowed us to evolve as other animals have, we may have no more purpose than clams.
I believe that God allowed humans to evolve with a purpose in mind, and that a certain point during the process of evolution humans were given a soul, which is what differentiates humans from other animals. Part of that purpose was to know and love God, a purpose no other animals have.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is neither evidence for or any reason to conclude that we were intentionally created.

There is neither evidence for nor reason to believe there is 'purpose' in nature.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There is neither evidence for or any reason to conclude that we were intentionally created.

There is neither evidence for nor reason to believe there is 'purpose' in nature.

Well the last one is a fun one depending on how you understand nature outside the supernatural, since there is in effect no one objective absolute version of what nature is.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
My thought is that this question is in the wrong section.

From the ‘Non-Biblical’ comments made so far it is clear that the post question is misplaced.

Should be in theSkeptics section.

In this section WE ALREADY BELIEVE IN GOD but believe differently on aspects OF THAT GOD. So it isn’t a question of (effectively) are we created BY GOD and what reason have we been created IF A GOD created us!

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
My purpose in life includes being a wife and a mother
Kudos to you for that!
In my opinion you are fulfilling the most important part of your purpose by being a wife and mother.
No doubt Sgt. Pepper fulfills those roles well, despite what she experienced! Maybe even because of her experiences: she doesn’t want others to go through what she experienced.

Experience can be a harsh teacher, but it’s one of the best ways to learn….what to do (and how to behave), and what not to do (and how not to behave)!

It’s an ability unique to humans.

Both of you, take care