• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is no god. What's the purpose of this life?

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think so... Life would make no sense.
What sense should it make?
In fact, nothing about this earth would make sense.
Why not? The chemistry and physics pretty much explains it all.
The earth and animal life seem to get by well without humans.
Actually better before humans arrived. We have kiled off many species of animals with our over-population and burning fossil fuels. More are dying as a result of our behavior. If certain organisms die off it could put us in serious jeopardy.

Yet humans are striving... or at least wanting to be able to get along well with the planet.
Seriously? Look at what climate change is doing.
So why do they have that desire... and why are they failing, for the most part?
The answers I have found perfectly answers those questions, as well as shows humans are special.
How? They certainly are over-populated and not behaving wisely.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
What purpose do you suppose humans were created for? How do you suppose you could ever know for sure? And if you cannot know for sure, then what meaning does your life have anyway?

For me, an atheist, the only way out of that dilemma was to define my own purposes for myself.

While I'm not an atheist, I feel the same way about defining my own purposes in life—no God or gods necessary.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What sense should it make?
That's a strange question.

Why not? The chemistry and physics pretty much explains it all.
Really. If I asked you to explain it here, you couldn't. So, to get away from that, you'd tell me to look it up myself.
It's not there.

Actually better before humans arrived. We have kiled off many species of animals with our over-population and burning fossil fuels. More are dying as a result of our behavior. If certain organisms die off it could put us in serious jeopardy.

Seriously? Look at what climate change is doing.
Yes., really Humans want to get along with the planet. I already said they are failing. That doesn't mean they don't want to.
The answers are there, as to why they are failing.

How? They certainly are over-populated and not behaving wisely.
??? Are you listening to yourself? What did I just say?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
While I'm not an atheist, I feel the same way about defining my own purposes in life—no God or gods necessary.
That is what the devil told Eve. She didn't have to believe God, she could decide for herself.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's a strange question.
Why is it strange? You wrote this "I think so... Life would make no sense." What sense should life make?
Really. If I asked you to explain it here, you couldn't. So, to get away from that, you'd tell me to look it up myself.
It's not there.
The science is comIpex, but it exIplains life. You seem to be dismissing what science exIplains before you understand it.
Yes., really Humans want to get along with the planet. I already said they are failing. That doesn't mean they don't want to.
The answers are there, as to why they are failing.
Yet many of your fellow Christians insist that we shouldn't worry to take care of the world because the rapture is coming. So they are indifferent and selfish.
??? Are you listening to yourself? What did I just say?
You said you think humans are special, and I noted that they aren't acting like it.

I see humans increasingly selfish and unethical, and Christianity is part of this problem.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why is it strange? You wrote this "I think so... Life would make no sense." What sense should life make?
I can't make sense of the question.

The science is comIpex, but it exIplains life.
The question of what life is, is complex.
So complex, the question of what it means to be alive remains unresolved.

You seem to be dismissing what science exIplains before you understand it.
What science am I dismissing. You haven't any.

Yet mamny of your fellow Christioans insist that we shouldn't take care of the world because the rapture is coming. So they are indifferent and selfish.

You said you think humans are special, and I noted that they aren't acting like it.
You obviously have a different context for special. One I cannot understand how it fits the question @YoursTrue raised - How does this fit in with humans created for a purpose?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"It is purpose that created us, purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us; it is purpose that defines, purpose that binds us." ~ Agent Smith - The Matrix Reloaded
Great movie philosophy for this life.

It's evident that ones particular purpose come to its fruition upon death and is completed.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I can't make sense of the question.
So you can't really say that life would make no sense if no god existed.
The question of what life is, is complex.
So complex, the question of what it means to be alive remains unresolved.
I didn't refer to meaning. I referred to the chemistry and physics.
What science am I dismissing. You haven't any.
The chemistry and physics. What makes humans more special than any other form of life? Your say so, as a human?
You obviously have a different context for special. One I cannot understand how it fits the question @YoursTrue raised - How does this fit in with humans created for a purpose?
That thread asks the question, it doesn't answer it. You haven't answered it either.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If Earth is mainly about human life, then how is it that we've only been around for roughly 6 million years whereas the planet is over 5 billion years old? I'm not implying there's not a god(s), but it does seemingly imply that Earth wasn't mostly created for us.

Schwarzweg

Ullr, Nebet-Het,Wendigowak
If Earth is mainly about human life, then how is it that we've only been around for roughly 6 million years whereas the planet is over 5 billion years old? I'm not implying there's not a god(s), but it does seemingly imply that Earth wasn't mostly created for us.
Für mich gibt es schonmal KEINEN Gott und die Sinnsuche hat nie was gebracht .
Ich habe Vieles hin und her gewältst und es endetet immer mit einem "rauchendem Kopf"
und viel Energieverlust . War immer ganz erschossen und fertig .
Ich suche nicht mehr danach und habs aufgegeben ..................
Es hat im Leben auch immer ALLES seine 2 Seiten und DIE zusammmen zu bringen
funktioniert AUCH nicht .
Die Lösung liegt wahrscheinlich darin , seinen Blickwinkel zu ändern und mal
ganz tief bei sich selbst anzufangen ....................
Ob DAS der Sinn ist weiß ich nicht, aber es bringt einen auf jeden Fall weiter ........
Wohin bleibt offen und ist ein ewiger Weg auf dem man sich dann befindet.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ich habe Vieles hin und her gewältst und es endetet immer mit einem "rauchendem Kopf"
Ob DAS der Sinn ist weiß ich nicht, aber es bringt einen auf jeden Fall weiter ........
Im Allgemeinen bin ich eher Agnostiker als ein fundamentalistischer Christ.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Or - from Google Translate:

For me there is NO God and the search for meaning has never brought anything. I've tossed and turned a lot and it always ended with a "smoky head" and much energy loss. Was always completely shot and exhausted. I'm not looking for it anymore and I've given up .................... In life, EVERYTHING always has its 2 sides and bringing THEM together does not work too . The solution probably lies in changing your point of view and times to start deeply with yourself ..................... I don't know if THAT is the point, but it will definitely help you further ........ Where to remains open and is an eternal path on which one then finds oneself.

YoursTrue

No doubt it requires a higher level of cognition that most species don't have.

BTW, the unfortunate irony is that there are plenty of humans who don't seem to much care about outsiders either.
did you know that more Americans died in the Civil War than WW2? Brother killing brother in the Civil War, and then again, many so-called Christians killing their religious brethren in WWII as well.

YoursTrue

naturally I see here once again that those who claim they go to church yet also believe in the theory of evolution AS WELL AS abiogenesis do not answer how they combine the two.

YoursTrue

No doubt it requires a higher level of cognition that most species don't have.

So any idea what the purpose of life is? You share so many things what's your idea as to what the purpose of life is?