• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you don't believe Christ, do you still celebrate Christmas?

Bishka

Veteran Member
To those of you who don't believe in Jesus Christ or the Christian religion, do you still celebrate Christmas?

Why or why not?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Yes, of course. Because Christmas goes beyond the Christian religion and Jesus. Many of the traditions we associate with Christmas today actually pre-date Christianity to the celebrations of Yule and the winter solistice; celebrating the re-birth of the Sun.

standing_alone

beckysoup61 said:
To those of you who don't believe in Jesus Christ or the Christian religion, do you still celebrate Christmas?

Why or why not?

Sort of. I get together with my family on Christmas (both Eve and Day) and sometimes I'll buy presents and/or cards to give to family and/or friends. Why? Well, most of my family are Christians for starters. And at these family events, the Christian aspect of the holiday isn't really brought up. I guess it's a nice reason to get together with family members you don't see at any other time of the year, really, and to do something nice for the people you care about (not to mention, get drunk! :p). Though, of course, in an ideal world, there would be no need to have a day set aside to do such things, nor should we limit such actions to one day of the year...

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
standing_alone said:
I guess it's a nice reason to get together with family members you don't see at any other time of the year, really, and to do something nice for the people you care about (not to mention, get drunk! :p). Though, of course, in an ideal world, there would be no need to have a day set aside to do such things...
Yeah, you should be able to get drunk any day you want, Alyssa! :p

standing_alone

Maize said:
Yeah, you should be able to get drunk any day you want, Alyssa! :p

Ha ha, I knew someone was going to point that out! :p

But hell yeah, you should be able to get drunk any day you want! :D

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I do and I don't celebrate Christmas. I don't believe in much about it and pretty much go through the motions, but it makes other people so happy. I'd rather not celebrate it, honestly. I don't want to give in to the commercialization it's become, but it's practically expected, especially from people who don't know I'm not Christian. I almost feel that I'm decieving people by going with the flow though...

I'd rather celebrate Yule, and I do. It's the birth of my God, so I'm going to feel more towards it. But as I said, it's hard when you're the only pagan trying to blend into my family and the in-laws...

Non-Christians in the UK generally celibrate the so-called Winterfest at Christmas. I think that, strictly speaking, it should be celebrated on the 21st December (the winter solstice), but the public holidays are on the 25th/26th December, so the Winterfest has to be pushed back slightly to match the holiday dates. Not one to do things by halves, I celebrate my birthday on the 12th December, the winter solstice on the 21st December, and the Winterfest on the 25th/26th December!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
well...since i'm still at home w/ my mom and she celebrates it (as does the rest of my family) i am there too..

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Phil Osophy said:
Non-Christians in the UK generally celibrate the so-called Winterfest at Christmas. I think that, strictly speaking, it should be celebrated on the 21st December (the winter solstice), but the public holidays are on the 25th/26th December, so the Winterfest has to be pushed back slightly to match the holiday dates. Not one to do things by halves, I celebrate my birthday on the 12th December, the winter solstice on the 21st December, and the Winterfest on the 25th/26th December!
My birthday is on Decemeber 11th!

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
beckysoup61 said:

Why or why not?

Yes, my family and I celebrate Christmas as a time where we can all be together, enjoy a meal, and exchange gifts.

Zephyr

Moved on
I will be celebrating Jul with friends and then have my little secular Christmas party with my family.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Yeh, I celebrate it. Why not? Everyone else does. I used to not like Christmas at all, but the older I get the more I'm able to enjoy it.

Random

Sadly, for most, Christmas is no longer about Christ and the Nativity, Becky: it is a mass Consumerist Orgy which people the world over, but most especially in the West, partake in once a year for the love of gifting others toys and trinkets and recieving "good karma" in the form of material goods.

It is a money-spinning exercise now, remembered in spirit by only the sentimental few I fear, but engorged by the unsighted masses of Store-drones shopping their way to "feeling good" about themselves by exchaning societal status symbols.

All in all, Christmas sucks: Bah-humbug!

I cannot see how the wholly marketed "spirit" of the Holiday season could be viewed as an authentic tribute to CHRIST on his alleged birthday, can you?

That said, a secular equivalent of Christmas would probably be even worse...:cover:

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
beckysoup61 said:

Why or why not?

Because I like Christmas trees and lights and presents, and because I have a wife and 6 year old daughter who loves all that stuff too.

Kay

Towards the Sun
I celebrate the Solstice on the 21rst and then sort-of extend the celebration until January 1rst. :D Sometimes I'll do a tree, sometimes not. This year I'm not. I don't usually get involved in the exchange of gifts. I can't remember the last time I went shopping for the season. However, I will often bake cookies or a big pot of spiced cider to take to work.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
My family celebrates Christmas, but not as a religious holiday really. We exchange gifts, have dinner at a family gathering. But, we don't including much of anything religious, except our antique nativity that gets put out.

I personally celebrate Yule instead of Christmas.