• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you don't believe Christ, do you still celebrate Christmas?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I don’t believe in celebrating Christmas but ironically I believe in presents and celebrating gatherings. I don’t believe we should celebrate Christ’s birthday until we designate a birthday for GOD. Where is GOD’s birthday and do we have enough candles for the cake?

d.

_______
i celebrate yule. with as much christianity removed as my family allows me to remove...they like their old habits.

i don't feel comfortable with celebrating the birth of 'jesus'.

azumi

i celebrate christmas because my family do they are strict catholics. where as i am pagon and ther is a pagon celebration in the same week as christmas

anders

Most of my immediate family have left the Church of Sweden. If b/c of atheism or to avoid the (not crippling; nowhere close to a tithe) Church tax, I really don't know. For me, it's the former alternative.

We persist in having Jul/Yule gatherings, to eat traditional dishes and watch the TV Disney movie medley, the most sacred moment of the year for all Swedes. Too many prezzies, despite mother's (91) and my (64) efforts to get rid of our surplus but still useful utensils etc. rather than buying things to clutter people's cupboards.

The main dinner is on Dec 24. Dec 25 is just for digestion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To those of you who don't believe in Jesus Christ or the Christian religion, do you still celebrate Christmas?

Why or why not?
My feeling is that if the Christians can celebrate Yule and Saturnalia without believing in Pagan gods or Saturn, then I can celebrate Christmas without believing in Jesus. :D

ayani

yep! well, kind of.

for me it's a social occasion to see family members, give them presents, and gather with them at their church. i appreciate the church services, the music, and community, but as a non-Christian it's not a specifically religious holiday.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
yep! well, kind of.

for me it's a social occasion to see family members, give them presents, and gather with them at their church. i appreciate the church services, the music, and community, but as a non-Christian it's not a specifically religious holiday.

I second that. It pretty much sums up my own feelings on the matter. :)

Peace,
Mystic

storm2020

As a non-believer I don't celebrate christmas as a religious holiday but more as its original pagen festival of winter. I wait for snow that never comes and spend time with my family. In england the religious festivals have also become cultural traditions and I think traditions are important

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Hell ya!
No other time of the year where you can bludgeon people indiscriminately to get that 90%off cell phone.

may

Yes, of course. Because Christmas goes beyond the Christian religion and Jesus. Many of the traditions we associate with Christmas today actually pre-date Christianity to the celebrations of Yule and the winter solistice; celebrating the re-birth of the Sun.
very true, it has nothing to do with the bible or the teachings of Jesus . so called christians have taken on pagan worship and mixed it up with true worship, and this makes it very offensive to the true God .

may

My feeling is that if the Christians can celebrate Yule and Saturnalia without believing in Pagan gods or Saturn, then I can celebrate Christmas without believing in Jesus. :D
very true , :) christmas is very pagan and so called christians are very contaminated by it . i am out of there . and into pure christian teachings . being free from spiritual contamination is the thing to do. especially if we claim to be christian.

blackout

Violet.
I don't have money to buy crap we don't need.

I don't like being told "when" I have to bestow a gift on someone.

I don't like knowledgably filling my children's heads with ridiculous fables.

"Santa" is like a counterfiet of "The Father".

The day was not Y'shua's day of birth anyway... even if that meant anything at all to me.

"Solstace" means nothing to me.

Christmas for me is now "X-mass"
as in "no-more"

no more "mass" consumerism
no more "mass" belief
no more doing what everyone expects you to do,
when you yourself don't want to.

Everyone around me... mothers... are so FRAZZLED in december....
I just watch it all from the sidelines...
SO HAPPY I no longer feel I have to play the game.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
very true, it has nothing to do with the bible or the teachings of Jesus . so called christians have taken on pagan worship and mixed it up with true worship, and this makes it very offensive to the true God .

If I was god, and "my" humans turned some holiday in "my personal" holiday, I would be very very proud. :yes:

w00t

Christmas is celebrated by people secular and religious. If you are very religious that is upper most in your celebration, if not you party!

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Some of you guys need to relax a bit :D. Even if you don't believe in God, at least just think of it as a time to be with friends and family. Hey, you get a day or two off work so how bad can it really be. Should we also not celebrate Thanksgiving because of how we treated the Native Americans?

blackout

Violet.
Some of you guys need to relax a bit :D. Even if you don't believe in God, at least just think of it as a time to be with friends and family. Hey, you get a day or two off work so how bad can it really be. Should we also not celebrate Thanksgiving because of how we treated the Native Americans?

I forgot to mention that we have a great time each year at my dad's x-mass party.
I let the kids go decorate the tree over there.
My dad is respectful not to make it about some "christmas" thing,
just a nice afternoon together.

I always enjoy time with family and friends.

But that alone is the meaning I find in those days.