• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you have any questions about Islam, just ask. But please, no bashing, not ridiculing.

epronovost

You are the person who brought this up. You should know very well. But you obviously don't. Why not study what you are bringing to the table instead a bit. Is not that more honest and valid?

Yes I brought it up as a question to someone who says they are particularly knowledgeable about Islam. I brought it up to know more than my fragmentary knowledge about it. If you present yourself as a knowledgeable person who is willing to take on question on a subject, shouldn't you expect people to ask questions about stuff they don't know much about? That's how learning works.

This brings me to another question do you know anything about that?

So what are the so called "Distortions" you spoke of above?

I have no idea. Have you ever read any of the Shia scholars who posite that there has been distortions in the Quran like Ali Ibn Ibrahim Qomi?

MyM

Yes I brought it up as a question to someone who says they are particularly knowledgeable about Islam. I brought it up to know more than my fragmentary knowledge about it. If you present yourself as a knowledgeable person who is willing to take on question on a subject, shouldn't you expect people to ask questions about stuff they don't know much about? That's how learning works.

I have no idea. Have you ever read any of the Shia scholars who posite that there has been distortions in the Quran like Ali Ibn Ibrahim Qomi?

Please if you want to debate, go to the debate forums thank you.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Your question was not a question to gain knowledge.

So you keep making statements, and since you dont know about your own claims, you ask a question to create more problems.

Why dont you just ask your question decently and directly rather than trying to cause issues with out any knowledge on your own subject matter?

I have seen that you asked from the OP about what her denomination is, and she has said she is just a Muslim who takes Quran and Sunnah as her guidance. So it was answered.

Reactions: MyM

epronovost

Please if you want to debate, go to the debate forums thank you.

I didn't want to debate; I wanted to learn. You don't really have an interest nor the knowledge to answer my questions which is fine by me. If you don't; you don't. I'll look somewhere else, that is all.

MyM

I didn't want to debate; I wanted to learn. You don't really have an interest nor the knowledge to answer my questions which is fine by me. If you don't; you don't. I'll look somewhere else, that is all.

What is your question?

epronovost

Why dont you just ask your question decently and directly rather than trying to cause issues with out any knowledge on your own subject matter?

I did. Do you know anything about the differences between the various denomination of Islam? Do you know why some Shia scholars talk about ''distortion'' in the Quran? What does it mean to say that the Quran has an ''inner meaning''?

I note, you, nor the OP, answered any of those questions. You only asked ''how do you know that?'' and made no effort to actually answer so far. So do you know anything about those things? It's okay if you don't; just say it and I'll move on to find another source of knowledge.

I have seen that you asked from the OP about what her denomination is, and she has said she is just a Muslim who takes Quran and Sunnah as her guidance. So it was answered.

I answered to that reply by mentionning that whar Sunnah are in the first place changes from denomination so that wasn't really a answer. I am not more informed about that person's background, theological ''lenses'' and potential biases (true neutrality doesn't exist so its important to know about biases to better take them in consideration)

I see it as the same thing than saying ''I am a Bible believing Christian'' which doesn't mean much since the canon of the Bible changes from Orthodox/Catholics from Protestant and that's without going into translations (though I heard that was less of an issue for the Quran).

MyM

I did. Do you know anything about the differences between the various denomination of Islam? Do you know why some Shia scholars talk about ''distortion'' in the Quran? What does it mean to say that the Quran has an ''inner meaning''?

I note, you, nor the OP, answered any of those questions. You only asked ''how do you know that?'' and made no effort to actually answer so far. So do you know anything about those things? It's okay if you don't; just say it and I'll move on to find another source of knowledge.

I answered to that reply by mentionning that whar Sunnah are in the first place changes from denomination so that wasn't really a answer. I am not more informed about that person's background, theological ''lenses'' and potential biases (true neutrality doesn't exist so its important to know about biases to better take them in consideration)

I see it as the same thing than saying ''I am a Bible believing Christian'' which doesn't mean much since the canon of the Bible changes from Orthodox/Catholics from Protestant and that's without going into translations (though I heard that was less of an issue for the Quran).

Please just start over. What is it you want to know?

epronovost

What is your question?

Well I have three so far:

1) Why do you believe there is many denomination within Islam?

2) Why do some Shia scholars believe the Quran has been ''distorted'' and how; I was under the impression that Muslims believe the Quran was perfect (was that assumption even correct?).

3) What does it mean when Sufi and Shia talk about the Quran having a ''inner meaning''; how does this affect their comprehension of the text and its content? (and do you, yourself, subscribe to such view)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
2) Why do some Shia scholars believe the Quran has been ''distorted'' and how; I was under the impression that Muslims believe the Quran was perfect (was that assumption even correct?).

Most of those ahadith can be interpreted to be about interpretation. There is then very few who actually would mean real distortion (and the ones I've read even these can be interpreted to be about meaning). So the scholars that believed in distortion misunderstood majority of hadiths about it.

There are many Shiite hadiths that talk about preservation of Quran and that there is no real distortion in it's text and won't ever be.

MyM

Well I have three so far:

1) Why do you believe there is many denomination within Islam?

3) What does it mean when Sufi and Shia talk about the Quran having a ''inner meaning''; how does this affect their comprehension of the text and its content? (and do you, yourself, subscribe to such view)

In Islam, Mohammad pbuh gave a hadith. said that there would be 73 sects
It was narrated from Mu’aawiyah ibn Abi Sufyaan that he said: The Messenger of Allah pbuh stood among us and said: “Those who came before you of the people of the Book split into seventy-two sects, and this ummah will split into seventy-three: seventy-two in Hell and one in Paradise, and that is the jamaa’ah (main body of Muslims).”
Narrated by Abu Dawood (4597) and others; classed as saheeh by al-Haakim (1/128)

The Prophet pbuh said: “Whoever among you lives after I am gone will see a great deal of dissent.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4067); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

In Islam, it is known that time will get closer, and much discord and dissent will be involved nearer to the day of judgement. This is all part of it. Different scholars, different ideals, different exegesis will emerge due to their own explanations and assumptions. In the political arena, in the aqeedah arena...many will just innovate as they see fit. But in Islam,
  • Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: The Messenger of Allah,pbuh, would praise Allah in his sermon, as He deserves to be praised, and then he would say, “Whomever Allah guides, no one can lead him astray. Whomever Allah sends astray, no one can guide him. The truest word is the Book of Allah and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil matters in religion are those that are newly invented, for every newly invented matter is an innovation, every innovation is misguidance, and every misguidance is in the Hellfire.”
Source: Sunan al-Nasā’ī 1578
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani

Shia believe differently but I have a friend on here and we both agreed we will agree to disagree and I really don't want to get caught up in an one on one confrontation. Suffice it to say, Differences came about in the aqeedah(creed) and ahadith and leave it at that :)
Again, they have their beliefs ...many believe in the mysticism.

I don't have that belief. I am upon what I can prove through Quran and ahadith.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In Islam, that is the guidance. Around the cultures and traditions associated to each country per say, each country is different. Some build their mosques differently, Some wear different clothing. Some say the athaan (the call to prayer) differently. Those are just some of the differences. But all will say that Allah is one and Mohammad is the last servant and messenger of Allah.

Yes, actually, being that I do live in UAE, you can clearly pick up on different dialects of the Arabic language. There's Egyptian, Yemeni, Lebanese, Khaleeji and lots of other dialects. But in saying this, in Islam, there is only one Quran. We are to read it in the classical Arabic FusHa.

Thank you.

I transited through Dubai once upon a time. Exiting flight got delayed from rainfall, by the way everyone was acting, that was rare. It was kind f funny for me.

So from these differences, you being sort of a 'hub' place, could you tell the origin country by the clothing, or mannerisms? Anything besides the dialect?

How often would you encounter an Indonesian, if ever?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Due to mankind's nature..
They love to claim they "know" things and create division. :(

To me, it's same reasons in the past divisions occurred. God proves clear proofs of guidance, but we resort to ambiguities and follow those not appointed instead of those with clear proofs.

MyM

So can you tell where someone is from by listening?

kinda lol especially with the Egyptian dialect. lol they are very strong in their tone :)

I have lived in UAE for about 35 years. So I listen to Arabic constantly and the different dialects. Egyptian to me is the strongest sounding. The Khaleeji dialect (which I can speak and understand) is a lot easier on the pronunciations and sound. I can tell if someone is speaking fusHa as well.

MyM

Thank you.

I transited through Dubai once upon a time. Exiting flight got delayed from rainfall, by the way everyone was acting, that was rare. It was kind f funny for me.

So from these differences, you being sort of a 'hub' place, could you tell the origin country by the clothing, or mannerisms? Anything besides the dialect?

How often would you encounter an Indonesian, if ever?

lol rain is not very common in UAE. During the winter months (mainly Dec-Feb) it rains sparingly but more in Dubai and Al Ain. Somehow where I live it rarely gets rain but yet it rains lol
Yes, some clothes the Egyptians where have different head dresses, different abayas and thobes/kendoras(male dress).
I love Indonesians. They are beautiful people. I had a live in housekeeper that I actually brought over from Indonesia. She was a blessing. She was a Muslim. We sent her home every year and she came back. She is no longer with us because she got married. May Allah keep her safe and healthy ameen

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
lol rain is not very common in UAE. During the winter months (mainly Dec-Feb) it rains sparingly but more in Dubai and Al Ain. Somehow where I live it rarely gets rain but yet it rains lol
Yes, some clothes the Egyptians where have different head dresses, different abayas and thobes/kendoras(male dress).
I love Indonesians. They are beautiful people. I had a live in housekeeper that I actually brought over from Indonesia. She was a blessing. She was a Muslim. We sent her home every year and she came back. She is no longer with us because she got married. May Allah keep her safe and healthy ameen
On the passageway from the ramp to the plane, it wasn't totally closed, as it never is, and a few drops were making their way through. The attendants seemed almost scared of the stuff. Then they thought the runways would be slippery, hence the 6 hour delay. I felt like yelling, "It's rain, not ice!" We were on our way to Mauritius, and my poor friend had to kill 6 hours at the airport there. When I asked why he hadn't checked the ETA before leaving his home, he just shrugged and said, "Flights from Dubai are never late."

MyM

On the passageway from the ramp to the plane, it wasn't totally closed, as it never is, and a few drops were making their way through. The attendants seemed almost scared of the stuff. Then they thought the runways would be slippery, hence the 6 hour delay. I felt like yelling, "It's rain, not ice!" We were on our way to Mauritius, and my poor friend had to kill 6 hours at the airport there. When I asked why he hadn't checked the ETA before leaving his home, he just shrugged and said, "Flights from Dubai are never late."

Recently we had a severe thunderstorm. Lightning, thunder and wind. It actually woke me up before Fajr time(early morning time for prayer) and had to close my windows and rain was just gushing in. I opened the door and lightning almost felt like it was on its way in. Was really scary to see, the doors blew open and had to force them shut. Very rare occurrence.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
kinda lol especially with the Egyptian dialect. lol they are very strong in their tone :)

I have lived in UAE for about 35 years. So I listen to Arabic constantly and the different dialects. Egyptian to me is the strongest sounding. The Khaleeji dialect (which I can speak and understand) is a lot easier on the pronunciations and sound. I can tell if someone is speaking fusHa as well.

So it can get so different that you can't understand it? (That does happen in English as well.)