• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you take away religion, what arguments are there against homosexuality?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Psychology is not the only field in which to be against homosexuality.

Not that I'm against it, I'm just saying, the APA's opinions is just the opinion of one field...
No, just the one the person I was addressing argued.

dust1n

Zindīq
I suppose I've stirred up some hornets in the nest..

The question is what nonreligious "arguments" are there against homosexuality..

I'm not a psycho therapist either nor have I done any studies .. My only experiecne was from graduate school studying the area and from counseling people in the early seventies..

As far as sources on the internet these might be of interest:

http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=homosexuality+and+narcisim&fr=my-myy-s&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=homosexuality+and+narcisim&d=5010036540769576&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=6500aa9a,a14340b3&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=AC67_mfWhKUTRId5ZCfXBw--

http://www.enotes.com/psychoanalysis-encyclopedia/narcissism-an-introduction

http://www.enotalone.com/article/2618.html

I still think there are people unhappy about their sexuality.. and there are people who have decided that they cannot change or alter their orientation..well and good. There will probably always be people unhappy with themselves in some way or other..

Homosexual and Transsexual Narcissists - HealthyPlace

That link doesn't even correlate homosexuality and narcissism together. It is a guy asking about homosexual narcissists.

Also, it shows on your link there that all you did was go to Yahoo search and type "homosexual and narcissism".

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

"Philosophically, there is little difference between a narcissist who seeks to avoid his True Self (and positively to become his False Self) - and a transsexual who seeks to discard his true gender. But this similarity, though superficially appealing, is questionable."

Something 'peer-reviewed' would be nice.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So, apart from the ludicrous statements above, are there any arguments against homosexuality that doesn’t stem from religion?

This will likely offend both homosexuals and hetrosexuals, but anal sex is unsafe as human excrement contains many harmful substances and should be avoided.

3rd world countries who do not have adequate sewage systems have high levels of disease...contaminated drinking waters kills millions every year and some people want to be intimate with anal sex???

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This will likely offend both homosexuals and hetrosexuals, but anal sex is unsafe as human excrement contains many harmful substances and should be avoided.

3rd world countries who do not have adequate sewage systems have high levels of disease...contaminated drinking waters kills millions every year and some people want to be intimate with anal sex???

That's what hygiene and condoms are for.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Are you speaking for the "Staff"? I would hope not.. but if are you .. I'll not post on this thread anymore. :)
No. If I were, it wouldn't be on the open forum due to the confidentiality rules, so I don't know why you even went there.

We are first and foremost members.

Faithfreedom

i gotta change my avatar
How about this:
It decreases the population growth thereby decreasing the amount of taxes a government can collect.
It also decreases the number of soldiers a country can draft into service.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
How about this:
It decreases the population growth thereby decreasing the amount of taxes a government can collect.
It doesn't, though. Homosexuals aren't a large enough demographic, and oh yeah, sexual minorities can breed, too.

gnomon

Homosexuality is about more than sex.

Also, it's fact that individuals are not limited to an extreme of homo- or hetero- sexuality.

How about this:

History proves otherwise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How about this:

Are those even problems, even if we assume them to be actual facts?

gnomon

i'd be interested to know how many homosexuals do not have sex

im not sure what you mean here...can you elaborate?

I'm saying it's not an either/or situation when it comes to human sexuality.

Both human sexual attraction and human sexual development are spectrums. Simply put, there are people attracted to male and female as well as the existence of intersex humans.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is an argument against having the condition. It would/should cause one to view them, as you said, with sympathy. But it also should produce a negative view of the condition itself because of its undesirability.

"Condition"? Homosexuality is not a condition, not any more than desiring to live among loved ones can possibly be.

Sure, it can be painful at times. But calling tha a "condition" is really pushing it well beyond what one could reasonably desire to.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
i'd be interested to know how many homosexuals do not have sex
Probably about the same percentage as other orientations.

I'm bi. I haven't had sex in over 3 years, and I haven't had sex with a woman in more than I care to count. I'm still bi.

Faithfreedom

i gotta change my avatar
Are those even problems, even if we assume them to be actual facts?
Well, everyone needs money (except naked Sadhus of India, etc) even the government. One less baby is one less future taxable citizen and one less potential draftee to press into armed services to defend the country.