• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IHRD: your favorite movie about the Holocaust

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Since today is the International Holocaust Remembrance Day, please do post your favorite movie.
Or the movie that is most meaningful to you, about this matter.
If you can, post a little summary of the plot, quote the lines that you liked the most.
The lines that caught your attention.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Entrusted, 2003

Plot: France, 1942. Von Gall is a German banker, who despite being non Jewish, decides to help Jews and other minorities escape deportations.
He uses the money of certain bank accounts. Of very rich Jewish people, disposed to use their money for the cause.
But the Nazis, once found that out, they demand the account codes from him, in order to impound that money on the Reich's behalf.
Von Gall prefers to commit suicide rather than revealing them to them.
His daughter Maria is the head of an international anti-Nazi organization made up of French, Italians, Germans. They all sacrifice their lives to the cause.
Maria's son Thomas is a chess champion. A child with an incredibly skilled mind and an exceptional memory. He memorizes all the account codes. He will bring this secret to a Geneva Bank, since in neutral Switzerland Nazis are powerless.

Meaningful lines:
Don't cry. This is war. You need to be strong. You must not love.
(Nazi officer to a French anti-Nazi partisan, hostage to him)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Since today is the International Holocaust Remembrance Day, please do post your favorite movie.
If you can, post a little summary of the plot, quote the lines that you liked the most.
Probably Europa Europa.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The miniseries War and Remembrance is one that I watch occasionally. It focuses on the stories involving a fictional family during WW2, led by Pug Henry (Robert Mitchum), who plays a naval officer and has two sons in the navy. One of the sons marries a Jewish girl he met in Europe before the war, and she was with her uncle who had a villa in Italy. A major part of the plot involves focusing on the plight of the uncle and his niece, who were (at first) vacillating about leaving, since they didn't think there was that much danger. As the war raged on, they finally had to escape to Elba, then Corsica, then Marseilles (part of Vichy France at the time). But then they were caught by the Germans and sent to Theresienstadt, then Auschwitz.

It also focused on the Pacific War quite a bit, with a major part on Midway and some submarine battles.

Some quotes from the novel:

“Extremism, he says, is the universal tuberculosis of modern society: a world infection of resentment and hatred generated by rapid change and the breakdown of old values. In the stabler nations the tubercles are sealed off in scar tissue, and these are the harmless lunatic movements. In times of social disorder, depression, war, or revolution, the germs can break forth and infect the nation. This has happened in Germany. It could happen anywhere, even in the United States.”
― Herman Wouk, War and Remembrance

“... God knows I pity the Dresden women and children whose charred bodies are propped up in Goebell's propaganda photographs , but nobody made the Germans follow Hitler . He wasn't a legitimate ruler . He was a man with a mouth , and they liked what he said . They got behind him and they let loose a firestorm that's sucking all the decent instincts out of human society . My peerless son died fighting it . It made savages of all of us . Hitler gloried in savagery , he proclaimed it as his battle cry , and the Germans shouted Sieg Heill ! They still go on laying down their misguided lives for him , and the lives of their unfortunate families . I wish them joy of their Fuhrer while he lasts .”

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The miniseries War and Remembrance is one that I watch occasionally. It focuses on the stories involving a fictional family during WW2, led by Pug Henry (Robert Mitchum), who plays a naval officer and has two sons in the navy. One of the sons marries a Jewish girl he met in Europe before the war, and she was with her uncle who had a villa in Italy. A major part of the plot involves focusing on the plight of the uncle and his niece, who were (at first) vacillating about leaving, since they didn't think there was that much danger. As the war raged on, they finally had to escape to Elba, then Corsica, then Marseilles (part of Vichy France at the time). But then they were caught by the Germans and sent to Theresienstadt, then Auschwitz.

It also focused on the Pacific War quite a bit, with a major part on Midway and some submarine battles.

Some quotes from the novel:

“Extremism, he says, is the universal tuberculosis of modern society: a world infection of resentment and hatred generated by rapid change and the breakdown of old values. In the stabler nations the tubercles are sealed off in scar tissue, and these are the harmless lunatic movements. In times of social disorder, depression, war, or revolution, the germs can break forth and infect the nation. This has happened in Germany. It could happen anywhere, even in the United States.”

“... God knows I pity the Dresden women and children whose charred bodies are propped up in Goebell's propaganda photographs , but nobody made the Germans follow Hitler . He wasn't a legitimate ruler . He was a man with a mouth , and they liked what he said . They got behind him and they let loose a firestorm that's sucking all the decent instincts out of human society . My peerless son died fighting it . It made savages of all of us . Hitler gloried in savagery , he proclaimed it as his battle cry , and the Germans shouted Sieg Heill ! They still go on laying down their misguided lives for him , and the lives of their unfortunate families . I wish them joy of their Fuhrer while he lasts .”
Brilliant, but chilling, quotes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OIP.jkvFiot-u49I_cXiUeV4xQHaJ4

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
There's an episode of "Band Of Brothers" where they stumble across a concentration camp. Very moving.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Does JoJo Rabbit count?
I know it’s not specifically about the Holocaust. But the satire of Nazi ideology is beyond brilliant and the story is a fantastic breakdown of fascism, hope and redemption. It’s also a just a giant middle finger to Nazis in general and I suspect Taiki wanted to troll neo Nazis by portraying a fictional version of Hitler who is seen for what he is. A pathetic weak minded idiot.
It really is multi layered and imo is a really good introduction for that part of history, for kids in particular
And the usage of dancing to symbolise hope and freedom is beautifully integrated into the story. Also that shoe reveal. Still gets me.

Other than that, Schindler’s List and Life is Beautiful are among my faves
Also the Book Thief (though specifically the book version. The movie adaption is ok at best.)

Also can I just say it’s a bit weird that we can have favourite portrayals/accounts of one of the greatest atrocities known to mankind from modern history. There’s something slightly morbid about that, ngl
But eh, I suppose that’s true for a lot of impactful human tragedies

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Does JoJo Rabbit count?
I know it’s not specifically about the Holocaust. But the satire of Nazi ideology is beyond brilliant and the story is a fantastic breakdown of fascism, hope and redemption. It’s also a just a giant middle finger to Nazis in general and I suspect Taiki wanted to troll neo Nazis by portraying a fictional version of Hitler who is seen for what he is. A pathetic weak minded idiot.
It really is multi layered and imo is a really good introduction for that part of history, for kids in particular
And the usage of dancing to symbolise hope and freedom is beautifully integrated into the story. Also that shoe reveal. Still gets me.

Other than that, Schindler’s List and Life is Beautiful are among my faves
Also the Book Thief (though specifically the book version. The movie adaption is ok at best.)

Also can I just say it’s a bit weird that we can have favourite portrayals/accounts of one of the greatest atrocities known to mankind from modern history. There’s something slightly morbid about that, ngl
But eh, I suppose that’s true for a lot of impactful human tragedies

I think you are right.
In my mothertongue I would have never used the word "favorite".
I would have used a different expression.
Like, literally : "the movie that impacted you the most about that tragedy", but I don't know if it sounds good in English.
Mine is a language where words can be used regardless of their meaning. It is profoundly metaphorical.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you are right.
In my mothertongue I would have never used the word "favorite".
I would have used a different expression.
Like, literally : "the movie that impacted you the most about that tragedy", but I don't know if it sounds good in English.
Mine is a language where words can be used regardless of their meaning. It is profoundly metaphorical.
I mean yeah that makes sense
In English I suppose a better phrase would be “what is the most impactful movie about the Holocaust in your opinion” rather than simply one’s favourite movie. Though I won’t begrudge your word choice, since you’re trying to translate concepts across languages. Which can be tricky