• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a Noahide

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Traditionally I would be a 'Noahide/Xian', but as the Christian groups have developed in purpose, imo, apart from each other, the 'Noahide' aspect of my beliefs is a better representation of my beliefs, unless I joined the Quakers or something. Modern Noahidism seems to be separate generally from Xianity altogether, but this doesn't necessarily exclude my belief that 'Xianity' developed rather parallel to Judaism as opposed to an 'offshoot'. My belief that Jesus is monotheistic in Godhead manifestation in True Christianity tends to put me at odds with many Xian groups, so labeling myself 'xian' at this point is most likely a matter of confusion rather than an accurate description of my beliefs.

Excuse my ignorance (feel free not to answer if this is annoying - I'm just curious)

You mentioned that your beliefs around Jesus puts you at odds with many Xian groups, and I'm not good on the finer points of Christian doctrine. I'm a history buff, though, so have read more about traditional forms of Christianity than current ones, most likely...wondering if I'm understanding you right or not.

It sounds like your talking about Sabellianism or Modalism? Is that somewhere in the general ballpark of your beliefs?
Suspect one part I'm not understanding is the role or otherwise of an organised Church in your belief structure. Perhaps clergy is less important than in many forms of Christianity?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Excuse my ignorance (feel free not to answer if this is annoying - I'm just curious)

You mentioned that your beliefs around Jesus puts you at odds with many Xian groups, and I'm not good on the finer points of Christian doctrine. I'm a history buff, though, so have read more about traditional forms of Christianity than current ones, most likely...wondering if I'm understanding you right or not.

It sounds like your talking about Sabellianism or Modalism? Is that somewhere in the general ballpark of your beliefs?
Suspect one part I'm not understanding is the role or otherwise of an organised Church in your belief structure. Perhaps clergy is less important than in many forms of Christianity?

Noahides don't accept Jesus at all. They follow the same beliefs of religious Jews when it comes to Him.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

No, you're right, but I think Noahides are more adherent to the Tora/Tanach.
I could likewise (I think, I'm no expert!) call myself a Sabellian.
Um.. organized church for me would have no spiritual meaning, only worldly, ex. I'm not baptized etc.
Modern Noahidism isn't "Xian".

Last edited:

Phil25

I would suggest just looking it up, but for me it is the adherence to the Covenant without some of the aspects of Rabbinic Judaism in ceremony etc. It essentially means "Righteous Gentile". Also, for me, personally, it embraces my strong 'OT' /Torah/Tanach belief, though admittedly I value the entire Tora/Tanach equally, so there are some things/issues in which I'm not sure yet that might be at odds with most other Noahides. If that turns out to be the case, I won't call myself such, but in reality it is a good description for me.

It's like "Jewish-lite" for Gentiles. They just follow the 7 Laws of Noah.

Noahidism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No, you're right, but I think Noahides are more adherent to the Tora/Tanach.
I could likewise (I think, I'm no expert!) call myself a Sabellian.
Um.. organized church for me would have no spiritual meaning, only worldly, ex. I'm not baptized etc.
Modern Noahidism isn't "Xian".

Cool. Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Lol 'Jewish-Lite'? Really? Are you bound as to what level of commitment to religion by group adherence? I'm not.

That was the quickest way I can describe it. You basically believe that Judaism is true but you don't convert to it and have a smaller set of laws to follow.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Ah, sorry. I can't judge since I would go back and forth between Catholicism, Satanism, Luciferianism and Paganism. Sometimes I still get interested in other things, but I'm staying Catholic since none of the other stuff ever ends up working out for me and Jesus keeps pulling me back.

You could join the Christian Wicca path :D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That was the quickest way I can describe it. You basically believe that Judaism is true but you don't convert to it and have a smaller set of laws to follow.

Not necessarily, concerning laws to follow. I already follow some Tora laws, and most likely will increase those, so once again it is an individual thing, unless someone is very strict, then sure, but that is also dependent on which laws one follows etc., it isn't clear cut like that.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I never heard of Noahidism, so I had to look it up on the internet.

I appears to be a branch of Judaism.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can convert to Noahide. Nor just decide to be one. Don't you have to be born one from Jewish parents?

hmmmm...

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can convert to Noahide. Nor just decide to be one. Don't you have to be born one from Jewish parents?

hmmmm...

No. Noahides aren't Jews. They're Gentiles who decide to follow the 7 Laws of Noah.

Noahidism ((/ˈnoʊə.haɪd.ɪsm/); alternatively Noachidism (/ˈnoʊə.xaɪd.ɪsm/)) is a monotheistic ideology based on the Seven Laws of Noah, and on their traditional interpretations within Rabbinic Judaism. According to Jewish law, non-Jews are not obligated to convert to Judaism, but they are required to observe the Seven Laws of Noah. If they accept and fulfill these commandments with the conviction that Yahweh commanded them in the Torah as transmitted by Moses, and are careful to observe them in accordance with the relevant details within the Torah law, they are assured of a place in the World to Come (Olam Haba), the final reward of the righteous.[1][2] The Divinely ordained penalty for violating the fundamentals any of these Noahide Laws is discussed in the Talmud, but in practical terms that is subject to the working legal system that is established by the society at large. Those who subscribe to the observance of these commandments are referred to as Bene Noach (B'nei Noah) (Hebrew: בני נח‎), Children of Noah, Noahides (/ˈnoʊ.ə.haɪdɨs/), or Noahites (/ˈnoʊ.ə.haɪtɨs/). Supporting organizations have been established around the world over the past decades, by either Noahides or observant Jews.
Noahidism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

roger1440

I do stuff
I'm a Noahide, and listing it as such next to 'religion'.

I won't be posting in the DIR's that aren't compatible with my beliefs, so some replies may go unanswered in a couple of threads.

Deal with it.
Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing. You are using a Jewish term that only has meaning within Judaism. It’s like the term heathen. The term only has meaning within Christianity. A heathen is a person who is not Jewish or Christian. But those who are not Jewish or Christian do not refer to themselves as a heathen.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Hate to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing. You are using a Jewish term that only has meaning within Judaism. It’s like the term heathen. The term only has meaning within Christianity. A heathen is a person who is not Jewish or Christian. But those who are not Jewish or Christian do not refer to themselves as a heathen.

There is a Noahide movement. Also, Germanic polytheists frequently call themselves Heathens and call their religion Heathenry as a reclaimed word. What you're saying is like saying no one calls themselves a Pagan. :rolleyes:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

hmmmm...

Huh? I'm already a Noahide, but modern Noahidism is generally outside the 'xian' branch, hence the specific term.