• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immigrants Are Keeping America Young — And The Economy Growing

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Immigrants Are Keeping America Young — And The Economy Growing

Great article on the economic importance to the US of immigrants.

Comments?

Yes, legal immigrants who come here to get a better life and aren't a drain on the economy.

Illegal immigrants steal jobs from everyone else, H1-Bs steal tech jobs, and we need both like another hole in the head. I don't really care what the two-bit quasi journalists at sites like this say, I just look at my own neighborhood. The young people really have nothing to do but sit around and get high, there are no jobs for them to get. This wasn't a problem when I was a kid, so obviously something is wrong. But, yea, let's just keep doing what we're doing because that makes sense. :confused:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
i heard a radio report....
more than half of California's grade school is now Hispanic
and numbers are growing
for lack of language they need special educators
and their families are collecting gov support

buddhist

Yes, legal immigrants who come here to get a better life and aren't a drain on the economy.

Illegal immigrants steal jobs from everyone else, H1-Bs steal tech jobs, and we need both like another hole in the head. I don't really care what the two-bit quasi journalists at sites like this say, I just look at my own neighborhood. The young people really have nothing to do but sit around and get high, there are no jobs for them to get. This wasn't a problem when I was a kid, so obviously something is wrong. But, yea, let's just keep doing what we're doing because that makes sense. :confused:
I agree.

Legal immigrants follow the rules and laws agreed to by the existing citizens are upright people and more often than not wonderful assets who enrich the Republic.

Illegal foreign invaders subvert the laws and steal jobs and other resources from citizens and legal immigrants and not only destroy themselves but also others, and are worthy of utter contempt.

Don't tell that to the left though, in my experience they love to mix both groups together to confuse the issue in the eyes of the less intelligent.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That 538 piece is just the latest bit of evidence that immigration is very helpful. Of course those who have an issue with illegal immigration make another point - they're called Native Americans, of course and point to the immoral behavior of the illegal immigrants, the rest of us.

My parents and many of their generation came here when the laws were pretty open to immigration compared to today.

I'm a total supporter of a path to legalization for those who have worked hard and led positive lives. And for the dreamers who were brought her as children, I'm completely and totally against treating them as if THEY committed a crime.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I agree.

Legal immigrants follow the rules and laws agreed to by the existing citizens are upright people and more often than not wonderful assets who enrich the Republic.

Illegal foreign invaders subvert the laws and steal jobs and other resources from citizens and legal immigrants and not only destroy themselves but also others, and are worthy of utter contempt.

Don't tell that to the left though, in my experience they love to mix both groups together to confuse the issue in the eyes of the less intelligent.

It's not the same thing, someone that jumps the border is immediately a criminal. It doesn't matter what else they've done, or if they had a history of crime. Now they do! All other arguments fail the test of logic, not even worth getting into.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Given that only about two percent of the US population is indigenous, and indigenous communities tend to be quite poor, I'd say just about the entirety of the US economy is or was based on illegal immigration. But then it was also based on theft and slavery, so... I'm not sure being a good person is what leads to getting a portion of economic superpower.

I will say that I have absolutely no particular objection to immigration of either variety; I do not think that the status of your "papers" has any meaningful bearing on your moral worth one way or the other. Greed and consumption look the same no matter who is their current perpetrator.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I'm a total supporter of a path to legalization for those who have worked hard and led positive lives. And for the dreamers who were brought her as children, I'm completely and totally against treating them as if THEY committed a crime.

I want us to do like every other country on the earth does:

1) Nationality/origin is determined by your parents.
2) If you are here illegally, you can never legally immigrate. Oops.
3) Jail for repeat offenders who jump the border.

No other country allows any of this because it can be used by foreigners to scam you.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
i heard a radio report....
and numbers are growing
for lack of language they need special educators
and their families are collecting gov support
Wait, since when is speaking Spanish a crime?

Since when is collecting welfare a crime?

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia

"Steal"? You mean get hired to?

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I don't want take the food out of my baby's mouth to feed the intruder unlawfully squatting in my house.
So you are claiming that income taxes are causing starvation in your household, more so than the presence of cheap labor is driving down the price of food? How much did you pay in tax this year, and how many days did your child go without food? It sounds like you are filing your taxes improperly if this is happening, and are almost certainly eligible for government assistance yourself.

It is unlikely in the extreme that booting all immigrants would help; for one thing, the sudden absence of cheap labor would drive up grocery prices considerably. If your budget is so slim that paying a few hundred dollars of tax has caused starvation, it is unlikely that the consequences of a labor shortage would help your situation more than hurting it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I challenge the notion that we need a growing economy, especially if we achieve it by importing millions more people. I'd be happy if our population remained stable. Unspoiled rural & natural land would thank us for halting urban sprawl.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
and they will overrun the economic strife this country suffers
they are not the solution
Citation needed.
Illegal immigrants steal jobs from everyone else,
Citation needed.
and numbers are growing
Citation needed.
For me personally, they can be nothing but parasites.
Citation needed.

None of these arguments against illegal immigration have any facts. Oh, I can detect the underlying frustration and even a bit of hatred, but this anti immigrant bias appears to be based on emotion rather than fact. In reality, the soft rebound of our economy, in spite of all we've done to get it moving, has now been linked to our stronger stance against illegals. Arizona is way behind the average mostly because they have deported the most.

Before I forget, here are my citations:
There's a lot more out there on this and it's easy enough to Google. Sure, there are a number of contradictory reports, most of which seem to be pre-biased towards what they wanted their study to prove. The the ones I cited were non-partisan in nature.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
i do feel bad about the way America was just taken over by settlers

are you suggesting.....fair play in return?