• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the U.S., Christianity loses members while atheism grows. Why?

Beaudreaux

From an essay on the popularity of atheism:
The survey shows that, since 1990, the number of Americans identifying themselves as Christians has dropped from 86 percent to 77 percent. During that same time period, atheists were the only group whose numbers grew in every state, from 8 percent in 1990 to 15% in 2008 nationally. Concomitantly, books promoting a rejection of religion and embracing humanist ideals have been best sellers (The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason, Letter to a Christian Nation, The God Delusion) and local and national atheist organizations have flourished.

Why do you think Christianity is on the decline and atheism is on the rise?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

So far as I know, there are two factors that tend to increase the popularity of nontheism, and reduce the popularity of religion. The first factor is economic stablity. Studies have shown that when people lack economic stability, they tend to be more religious than when they have economic stability. But Americans do not have economic stability. So we can guess that atheism would be even more on the rise than it already is if Americans had greater economic stablility.

The second thing that increases the popularity of nontheism is the politicalization of religion. American religion is very politicalized, and this is probably what's driving the rise of atheism.

Beaudreaux

So far as I know, there are two factors that tend to increase the popularity of nontheism, and reduce the popularity of religion. The first factor is economic stablity. Studies have shown that when people lack economic stability, they tend to be more religious than when they have economic stability. But Americans do not have economic stability. So we can guess that atheism would be even more on the rise than it already is if Americans had greater economic stablility.

The second thing that increases the popularity of nontheism is the politicalization of religion. American religion is very politicalized, and this is probably what's driving the rise of atheism.

Very interesting. The politicizing of God is, I believe, one of the big contributing factors. The Bush administration may have done more to put people off of Christianity than any other factor in the past 15 years. I particularly like your comment about God and hard times. It rings true with me. That it is not happening during the current economic crisis gives me hope that the current statistsics indicate more than a normal fluctuation, but are in fact a growing and predictive trend. I can only hope. :)

Smoke

Done here.
There's plenty to dislike about Christianity, especially in its political aspect. The dominant forms of Christianity in the U.S., Evangelicalism and Roman Catholicism, are proudly and stridently reactionary, intolerant, moneygrubbing, irrational, authoritarian, and shrill. The question is not why so many have left, but why so many have stayed.

I think apostasy may have a snowball effect. The more apostates there are, the easier it is to be an apostate. With any luck at all, apostasy will grow at an exponential rate.

ellenjanuary

Why am I here? To speak the gospel of the one true number, 4. To convict the blasphemers with their own testimonies of idolatry... like so.

...the number of Americans identifying themselves as Christians has dropped from 86 percent to 77 percent

The faithful can rejoice for the hour of redemption is at hand - accept the number 4 as your lord and savior before it is too late...

This message of forgiveness is brought to you by
Gwynnie! would would like to remind our viewers that those who ask the sacred question of Why before the altar of statistical analysis are praying to the wrong god.

That's why.

YamiB.

The politicization angle matches with my personal experience. It was the political involvement of many Christian groups in opposition to gay rights that made me start questioning my religious beliefs. Though I guess my experience does not completely count since I did not wind up an atheist.

Daemon Sophic

From an essay on the popularity of atheism:

*Waits for the inevitable "people are getting smarter" response*
OK, I'll bite.

The internet.

The internet is introducing (or reintroducing) a form of thinking and communication that has been sorely lacking in American (and human) society for quite some years. That is ---> two way conversations <---.
Television and radio have, for decades now, only allowed for those writing the news (or spouting the church dogma) to spew their take on any situation, verse, or moral viewpoint. While we, the audience, had no recourse other than just sit and listen.

With the internet, people are starting (realistically, only within the last 5-10 years) to be able to question what is forced upon them by corporate news sources and domineering churches. We are just now being able to raise our hands and ask questions. To discuss, among ourselves, the validity of what the "higher powers" demand that we think.
Now then.....I am not so naive to think everyone is magically enlightened; or that the internet is utterly free of dogma and propaganda. :biglaugh: :rolleyes: But at least now the venue exists, and people are starting (juuuuuuust starting) to wake up and ask what's going on (or in the vernacular - "W-T-F?" :D;) ).

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Honestly? Because modern Christianity is a dysfunctional mythology. There are people who can make it a beautiful and inspiring faith, but it takes too much work for your average bear. And it shouldn't.

Sadly, I think the average person who realizes the problems with Christianity also conflates it with religion as a whole, and write the whole thing off rather than look for a better fit. Hence the rise of not only atheism, but anti-theism.

MissAlice

Oh good, I almost thought this topic was going to say that the U.S. was increasing its christian members as usual. Took me a second glance to see the obvious.

On another note, I think poverty has a lot to do with religious masses. I'm not sure what the correlation is except maybe people feeling powerless and needing something to look up to. I notice in my downtown section where it's very poor there's a lot of religious icons and religious organizations where they take in homeless people and provide them with resources. I remember when I was living down there for a while, it was hard not to avoid anything that was religious oriented.

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
People are joining the ranks of the noncomformists......
Or it could be that the atheists are forming groups, arming themselves with sticks and threatning to beat the " hell" out of us and some people prefer this as a short cut rather than try to walk a long path of the straight and narrow....:D

linwood

Or it could be that the atheists are forming groups, arming themselves with sticks and threatning to beat the " hell" out of us and some people prefer this as a short cut rather than try to walk a long path of the straight and narrow....:D

Dammit!
They`re onto us!

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The social constructs which promoted a continuation and strengthening of indoctrination are less effective than they used to be.

linwood

Because Christianity has become a for-profit organization. It is no longer based on morals. Do what you want, but as long as you come to church and put your money in the plate you will be saved. People actually fall for it too...

This is actually a pretty good point and to my mind the main reason for the decline in Christianity in America.

A long time ago the church changed it`s focus from the natural world and molded itself into the ethical/moral foundation for it`s followers.

After awhile people can see how much of a joke that is.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
It is no longer based on morals. Do what you want, but as long as you come to church and put your money in the plate you will be saved.
That's kind of the opposite of what I have seen. To me, many religious organizations have become obsessed with the behavior of others. The resulting activism (the politicization mentioned above) has alienated many young people, IMO.