• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

****ing context please

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Numbers 15
32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day.33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

I can't get over how psychotic it is to kill someone for working on the wrong day of the week! It's just crazy! Could someone offer me the correct context.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There are other ways to punish a person for disobedience. Besides, the guy was barely working.

This is an example of why some Catholics find the Bible to be an embarrassment.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Numbers 15
32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day.33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

I can't get over how psychotic it is to kill someone for working on the wrong day of the week! It's just crazy! Could someone offer me the correct context.
It was the Sabbath.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Numbers 15

Disrespect the culture, disrespect the religion, disrespect the Weltanschauung, disrespect the God(s)... in that place and time, stoning someone to death for this to me appears to be a reasonable punishment. The man picking sticks on the Sabbath knew what he was doing and he did it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Disrespect the culture, disrespect the religion, disrespect the Weltanschauung, disrespect the God(s)... in that place and time, stoning someone to death for this to me appears to be a reasonable punishment.
It wasn't a malicious act. There are other ways to punish such a minor infraction.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Old Testament God didn't take s*** from anybody.

God inflicted leprosy on Aaron's wife for gossiping about Moses, God consumed Aaron's sons (Moses' nephews) in fire for offering the wrong insense, and struck Uzzah dead for touching the ark when he steadied it to prevent it from getting knocked over. Not to mention when Moses slaughtered 3000 of his own people for worshipping the Golden calf after God had just delivered them from Egypt, which was actually merciful because God wanted to personally consume them and destroy them all and even offered to make Moses a "great nation" but Moses convinced God otherwise. God didn't even let Moses enter the promised land for a seemingly "minor infraction".

Last edited by a moderator:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The context is a tribal society in ancient human history. These are the sorts of things they did back then and rationalized it by attributing it to the will of their tribal deity, as opposed to the will of the society itself (which is the truth of the matter). Is this psychotic to you and I in this day and age where we are rather far removed from ancient tribal societies? Yes, of course. We live in a modern society where we relate to one another and everything we know and understand about society and the world in vastly more nuanced and compassionate ways. I believe we are far less violent today in modern societies than tribal societies.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Numbers 15

no work on the sabbath.....not at all.....
to remember the Lord rested from His labor

and I do think Moses did not understand the Lord

it was simply coincidence.....Moses was willing to climb the mount and trespass
He was 80yrs old and went up to meet his Maker

I am certain he had no intent of return
he went there to die

since no one else would dare likewise
they met

I have no doubt.....even though I was not there
the conversation had to be reduced to what Moses could deal with

hence the poor consideration of judgment

Tumah

Veteran Member
Would you stone your child to death with your religious community for that infraction today?
Absolutely not.
But that wouldn't mean that if s/he wasn't of a culpable age, I would't think s/he deserved to be. I mean, I don't think I'd have the ability to send my child to jail for doing things that are conventionally considered worse than that either.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Absolutely not.
But that wouldn't mean that if s/he wasn't of a culpable age, I would't think s/he deserved to be. I mean, I don't think I'd have the ability to send my child to jail for doing things that are conventionally considered worse than that either.

Out of curiosity.
If, like Moses, you heard God's voice, and you had sufficient reason to believe it was actually God's voice, you would have to stone your child to death for breaking the Sabbath if God told you to do so, wouldn't you?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
any and all should attempt to see this as you be Moses

you go the mount....you're not suppose to
you enter a place where reality is not sure.....
a flaming bush that does not burn......
a disembodied Voice....

and for forty days and nights you do not eat.....or DRINK!

you have stood in the Presence of Someone able to control your very life.....at Will

as you are given dictation unto stone....the commandments make you shake

Do not worship another god......
and Moses did what?....as he was raised up in Egypt

Do not kill
and Moses did what?.....and fled Egypt

and this GOD!.....is at your shoulder as He commands you to scribe

Moses likely spent the entire event shaking

so when asked if a man should die for having done work on the sabbath.....
of course that man should die

Moses had the Mount Event .....burned into his vision
and his judgement

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It wasn't a malicious act. There are other ways to punish such a minor infraction.

Yes. Keep in mind the era during which the works of the Bible were written, however. Standards then were not as they are today in the country you live in.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity.
If, like Moses, you heard God's voice, and you had sufficient reason to believe it was actually God's voice, you would have to stone your child to death for breaking the Sabbath if God told you to do so, wouldn't you?
Had I studied to become a prophet as the other prophets had and following those guidelines entered into a state of prophecy that matches what my teacher taught me and received prophecy, I would be obligated to do so yes.

I imagine at that point I'd have reached a level sufficiently divested of self as to be able to do so.

meghanwaterlillies

Numbers 15

So that happen along time ago. Mostly historically I guess.
But anyways...
I would even say why kill him for picking up sticks?
Even if the reason was the day.
You don't need colonization LOL
You got a freak out and kill someone problem.... for picking sticks.. and today happens to be the day you could die for that..
Ugh...