• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intelligent Design...........?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Because no one is debating that.
I'm debating it. I'm throwing it out there, right now. If you can ask for ID to be taught in school, as an alternative to evolution, I have the right to ask for Georgian chants and six daily prayers. Why are your ridiculous demands any more legitimate than mine?

We are debating why/if/should we teach ID or not.
Well, really, we aren't. It isn't happening now, and it isn't going to happen within our lifetimes. Rather than a debate, we are really just wasting our breath, trying to get you to see the absolute folly of your position.

The fact is you are denying children the opportunity.
No, I'm not. Let the families that want to swaddle their children in ignorance take them to church to learn such foolishness. If you can't find a church that will teach it, then you need to rail against the churches. Then again, I have respect for a church that would pass on the opportunity to lie to children.

Christians pay taxes to the same as everyone else our voice should be heard as well.
You are correct. Go to the polls and vote. Unfortunately for you, even within the Christian community, you are in a minority.

For you to say otherwise is hypocritical. I understand why you don't want your tax dollars spent on it. But you are a minority this country is ruled by the majority. Each school district should put it to vote. If your a Christian in a atheist school district tough luck...And vice versa. Figure out other ways to go about it. But the majority (whether christian or non- christian) should have the say its anti-american to do it otherwise.
You seem to be struggling with the idea that the majority does not determine what "truth" is, or how knowledge is attained. I don't care if a million people vote to overthrow the laws of gravity - you still won't be able to fly.

Get it?

challupa

There are also reasons why children should have to take a well rounded variety of sciences. Many do not know whether they will like something until they actually learn about it. In my grade 10 year we had to take the 4 sciences that were offered then. Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science and Physics. I always knew I liked Biology, but couldn't have cared less about the others. However, they were mandatory. Guess what, by the end of the school year I found out I not only liked biology, but I also was really good at physics and chemistry and liked them. I sucked at earth science and found it boring. But I knew more about what I liked and didn't like. I knew what to major in the the next two years. I would never have known that if it wasn't mandatory that I took them to find out.

ID is not science. It should never be taught as science and I read your post saying you are not asking for it to be taught as a science. That's good. If it is taught as a religious studies class or a philosophy option, then maybe, but it should never be taught in place of something just to get credits. I don't think it needs to be in school at all, but hey as an elective I guess I could live with it.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
There are also reasons why children should have to take a well rounded variety of sciences. Many do not know whether they will like something until they actually learn about it. In my grade 10 year we had to take the 4 sciences that were offered then. Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science and Physics. I always knew I liked Biology, but couldn't have cared less about the others. However, they were mandatory. Guess what, by the end of the school year I found out I not only liked biology, but I also was really good at physics and chemistry and liked them. I sucked at earth science and found it boring. But I knew more about what I liked and didn't like. I knew what to major in the the next two years. I would never have known that if it wasn't mandatory that I took them to find out.

ID is not science. It should never be taught as science and I read your post saying you are not asking for it to be taught as a science. That's good. If it is taught as a religious studies class or a philosophy option, then maybe, but it should never be taught in place of something just to get credits. I don't think it needs to be in school at all, but hey as an elective I guess I could live with it.

Wow, we were always given a choice. We only did 6 subjects a semester at high school so most people did drama, art or wood/metalworking. I never did biology, im useless at it.
Earth science is the best. Everyone should know how the earth works whether they find it boring or not. I found Social Studies a waste of time, but it turned out to be quite helpful.
ID is science for the scientifically challenged, who feel they must reconcile the bible with real science.

challupa

Wow, we were always given a choice. We only did 6 subjects a semester at high school so most people did drama, art or wood/metalworking. I never did biology, im useless at it.
Earth science is the best. Everyone should know how the earth works whether they find it boring or not. I found Social Studies a waste of time, but it turned out to be quite helpful.
ID is science for the scientifically challenged, who feel they must reconcile the bible with real science.
Actually I am glad I took Earth science because it did teach me stuff I have found handy. But sorry, I still have to say it bored me and I didn't like it as much as the other 3. Good thing we're all different and some people like Earth Science!:)

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I'm debating it. I'm throwing it out there, right now. If you can ask for ID to be taught in school, as an alternative to evolution, I have the right to ask for Georgian chants and six daily prayers. Why are your ridiculous demands any more legitimate than mine?

Well, really, we aren't. It isn't happening now, and it isn't going to happen within our lifetimes. Rather than a debate, we are really just wasting our breath, trying to get you to see the absolute folly of your position.

No, I'm not. Let the families that want to swaddle their children in ignorance take them to church to learn such foolishness. If you can't find a church that will teach it, then you need to rail against the churches. Then again, I have respect for a church that would pass on the opportunity to lie to children.

You are correct. Go to the polls and vote. Unfortunately for you, even within the Christian community, you are in a minority.

You seem to be struggling with the idea that the majority does not determine what "truth" is, or how knowledge is attained. I don't care if a million people vote to overthrow the laws of gravity - you still won't be able to fly.

Get it?

Hey bring it up at the next PTA and put it to a vote.