• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting discussion about religion and evolution

AdamjEdgar

There are no references in any other ancient source to a massive destruction of the cities of Canaan. Archaeologists have discovered that few of the places mentioned were walled towns at the time. Many of the specific cities cited as places of conquest apparently did not even exist as cities at the time. This includes, most notably, Jericho, which was not inhabited in the late 13th century BCE, as archaeologists have decisively shown
thats strange...wikipedia doesnt seem to agree with this at all...

Archaeologists have unearthed the remains of more than 20 successive settlements in Jericho, the first of which dates back 11,000 years (to 9000 BCE),[11][12] almost to the very beginning of the Holocene epoch of the Earth's history.[13][14] Copious springs in and around the city have attracted human habitation for thousands of years.[15] Jericho is described in the Bible as the "city of palm trees".[16]
In 2023, the archaeological site in the center of the city, known as Tell es-Sultan / Old Jericho, was inscribed in UNESCO's list as a World Heritage Site in the State of Palestine, and described as the “oldest fortified city in the world”​

and this from Encyclopedia Britanica

Walls of Jericho, massive stone walls surrounding an ancient Neolithic settlement in Jericho, built about 8000 BCE. These walls, at least 13 feet (4 metres) in height and backed by a watchtower or redoubt some 28 feet tall, were intended to protect the settlement and its water supply from human intruders. Though weapons of the hunt had been in use for centuries, the walls of Jericho represent the earliest technology uncovered by archaeologists that can be ascribed unequivocally to purely military purposes....​
Traces have been found of visits of Mesolithic hunters, carbon-dated to about 9000 BCE, and of a long period of settlement by their descendants. By about 8000 BCE the inhabitants had grown into an organized community capable of building a massive stone wall around the settlement, strengthened at one point at least by a massive stone tower. The size of this settlement justifies the use of the term town and suggests a population of some 2,000–3,000 persons.​

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
thats strange...wikipedia doesnt seem to agree with this at all...
From what I see there is nothing that disagrees with my referenced concerning Jericho

Archaeologists have unearthed the remains of more than 20 successive settlements in Jericho, the first of which dates back 11,000 years (to 9000 BCE),[11][12] almost to the very beginning of the Holocene epoch of the Earth's history.[13][14] Copious springs in and around the city have attracted human habitation for thousands of years.[15] Jericho is described in the Bible as the "city of palm trees".[16]

Yes, Jericho is one of the oldest settlements. Yes it is an Oasis city and the name fits.
In 2023, the archaeological site in the center of the city, known as Tell es-Sultan / Old Jericho, was inscribed in UNESCO's list as a World Heritage Site in the State of Palestine, and described as the “oldest fortified city in the world”​

OK
and this from Encyclopedia Britanica

Walls of Jericho, massive stone walls surrounding an ancient Neolithic settlement in Jericho, built about 8000 BCE. These walls, at least 13 feet (4 metres) in height and backed by a watchtower or redoubt some 28 feet tall, were intended to protect the settlement and its water supply from human intruders. Though weapons of the hunt had been in use for centuries, the walls of Jericho represent the earliest technology uncovered by archaeologists that can be ascribed unequivocally to purely military purposes.​

OK
Traces have been found of visits of Mesolithic hunters, carbon-dated to about 9000 BCE, and of a long period of settlement by their descendants. By about 8000 BCE the inhabitants had grown into an organized community capable of building a massive stone wall around the settlement, strengthened at one point at least by a massive stone tower. The size of this settlement justifies the use of the term town and suggests a population of some 2,000–3,000 persons.​
OK, Still nothing that contracts my reference concerning Jericho, No evidence for an invasion related to the Exodus.

The conflict with the evidence is whether Joshua sieged Jericho, and the other cities he claimed to conquer including all of Canaan. There is no evidence for an invasion and influx of a large population described in Exodus.

Last edited:

AdamjEdgar

The conflict with the evidence is whether Joshua sieged Jericho, and the other cities he claimed to conquer including all of Canaan. There is no evidence for an invasion and influx of a large population described in Exodus.
didyou not make the claim that part of the evidence against any possibility of Israelite invasion and overthrow off Jericho was based on Bart Erhmans claim there is not evidence of even a fotress in that time? Did you not quote Bart saying it wasnt even a fortress in 13th century BC? How is it that even secular historians have dated Jericho as a fortress more than 8,000 years before Barts claim? That was what i was responding too.

You cannot make reference to other writers, who have provided you with incorrect information, then attempt to worm your way out by saying "i didnt say that".

Yours is an ecllectic faith, and it lets you down in this area as you are chosing only to reference some writers...irrespective of whether or not they are providing you with the correct information. I have studied Bart Erhman theological claims at length, what you need to realise is that he is not known for Old Testament expertise...he is a New Testament Scholar with expertise on the historicity of Jesus and i think that he is in the habit of willfully leading individuals astray by leaving out significant facts when he makes statements about such things as this.

I would avoid quoting sources who dont have experience in Old Testament scholarly work for such support in future! Bart is a great support for the historicity of Christ but even his claims of inconsistency and error in the bible are woefully inadequate when scrutinised by other well-known textual experts. The real problem is that Bart simply cannot reconcile that if there is a God, why does he let bad things happen to children. Its a fair question, but not grounds to ignore the entire biblical theme and go after errors in order to rationalise there must be no God.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
didyou not make the claim that part of the evidence against any possibility of Israelite invasion and overthrow off Jericho was based on Bart Erhmans claim there is not evidence of even a fotress in that time? Did you not quote Bart saying it wasnt even a fortress in 13th century BC? How is it that even secular historians have dated Jericho as a fortress more than 8,000 years before Barts claim? That was what i was responding too.

You cannot make reference to other writers, who have provided you with incorrect information, then attempt to worm your way out by saying "i didnt say that".

Yours is an ecllectic faith, and it lets you down in this area as you are chosing only to reference some writers...irrespective of whether or not they are providing you with the correct information. I have studied Bart Erhman theological claims at length, what you need to realise is that he is not known for Old Testament expertise...he is a New Testament Scholar with expertise on the historicity of Jesus (and thats it).

My basis is the lack of evidence for an invasion, even though Jericho had a fortress wall at one time to me is indifferent as to the evidence. There were at least several battles for Jericho. The number of cities Joshua claimed to have taken and completely conquered Canaanit is even in contradiction with other references in the Torah..

The Lack of evidence for an invasion is simply based on the lack of evidence for large numbers involved in any migration such as Exodus, and the lack of evidence for a large influx of Hebrews into Canaan. The lack of Egyptian records increases the problem.

Bart is right on many references including scripture. I have to check on when Jericho was a walled city. I know at times it was and at times it was not.

The problem remains as to when the different battles for Jericho took place, and when it was a walled city. The following possibly reflects what Bart refers to.

Yes, there was some sort of settlement at Jericho at the time described in the Joshua, but a walled city is not documented in the present evidence. I believe it was the Egyptians who were likely responsible for the earlier better documented battle to conquer the lower Nile Kingdom of Hyksos.

Origins and historicity​

Depiction of the battle by Jean Fouquet (c. 1415–1420)

Excavations at Tell es-Sultan[edit]​

In 1868, Charles Warren identified Tell es-Sultan as the site of biblical Jericho.[5] Ernst Sellin and Carl Watzinger excavated the site between 1907–1909 and in 1911, finding the remains of two walls which they initially suggested supported the biblical account of the Battle of Jericho. They later revised this conclusion and dated their finds to the Middle Bronze Age (1950-1550 BCE).[6] In 1930–1936, John Garstang conducted excavations there and discovered the remains of a network of collapsed walls which he dated to about 1400 BCE. Kathleen Kenyon re-excavated the site over 1952–1958 and demonstrated that the destruction occurred at an earlier time, during a well-attested Egyptian campaign against the Hyksos of that period, and that Jericho had been deserted throughout the mid-late 13th century BCE, the supposed time of Joshua's battle.[7] Sources differ as to what date Kenyon instead proposed; either c. 1500 BCE [7] or c. 1580 BCE.[8] Kenyon's work was corroborated in 1995 by radiocarbon tests which dated the destruction level to the late 17th or 16th centuries BCE.[8] A small unwalled settlement was rebuilt in the 15th century BCE, but it has been agreed that the tell was unoccupied from the late 15th century until the 10th/9th centuries BCE.[2]

More recently, Lorenzo Nigro from the Italian-Palestinian Expedition to Tell es-Sultan has argued that there was some sort of settlement at the site during the 14th and 13th centuries BCE.[9] He states that the expedition detected Late Bronze II layers in several parts of the tell, although its top layers were heavily cut by leveling operations during the Iron Age, which explains the scarcity of 13th-century materials.[10] Nigro says that the idea that the Biblical account should have a literal archaeological correspondence is erroneous, and "any attempt to seriously identify something on the ground with biblical personages and their acts" is hazardous.[11]

Historicity​

The strong consensus among scholars is that the Book of Joshua holds little historical value.[12] Its origin lies in a time far removed from the times that it depicts,[13] and its intention is primarily theological in detailing how Israel and her leaders are judged by their obedience to the teachings and laws (the covenant) set down in the Book of Deuteronomy.[14] The story of Jericho and the rest of the conquest represents the nationalist propaganda of the Kingdom of Judah and their claims to the territory of the Kingdom of Israel after 722 BCE;[3] and that those chapters were later incorporated into an early form of Joshua likely written late in the reign of King Josiah (reigned 640–609  BCE), and the book was revised and completed after the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians in 586, and possibly after the return from the Babylonian exile in 538.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
If one were to take "ancient documentation" as probative one would find oneself forced to embrace all manner of absurd claims. I suspect that you are very selective.

I believe the Bible but understand that in accademia that is not enough.
I can underdstand academics wanting archaeological or historical support before documents are accepted as being true, especially if supernatural claims are made in the documents. But of course the supernatural claims can be tossed out and the rest of the document accepted as happens with other ancient documents.
I find it hard to understand how the historians can completely wipe the historicity of the Biblical account when the archaeology and general history of what is written can be shown to be true.
The historians want to go with a date that disagrees with the Bible and go with a date in which there is no archaeological support instead of accepting the Biblical dating of the events and end up in a time frame with archaeological support.
That sort of stuff boggles the mind.
Then on top of that they want to make up their own version of events and completely dismiss an Exodus when a reinterpretation of what the Bible says ends up with an archaeology that completely agrees with the Bible.
:confused:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I find it hard to understand how the historians can completely wipe the historicity of the Biblical account when the archaeology and general history of what is written can be shown to be true.

That is a stunning, albeit I suspect unintentional, distortion and exaggeration.
These are just some of the books on the bookshelf behind me. Two currently out on loan are:
Your complaint is woefully uninformed.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
It's interesting that "YHWH" was a god of war in the southern Arabian Peninsula, and it appears that Jewish traders brought it north to eretz Israel. This may explain the reason why there are many references of YHWH's support of Israel/Judah's in wars that are found in Torah.
There's a bit more to it.

YoursTrue

But only after doing their homework versus just having a kneejerk reaction or blindly believing in what Pastor Joe may tell them.
That's possible. I can't say anything is possible because I don't think that's true.

YoursTrue

That's possible. I can't say anything is possible because I don't think that's true.
That anything is possible...unless it's placed within reason. And that may require homework. Some things are impossible but then some figure other ways. @metis

Brian2

Veteran Member

Have you got "Unearthing the Bible: 101 Archaeological Discoveries that bring the Bible to life"?
(Not to be confused with "The Bible Unearthed" by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman)
There are different opinions on the interpretation of the evidence.
I agree with those which show the Bible to be true.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Have you got "Unearthing the Bible: 101 Archaeological Discoveries that bring the Bible to life"?
(Not to be confused with "The Bible Unearthed" by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman)
There are different opinions on the interpretation of the evidence.
I agree with those which show the Bible to be true.
  1. No, but I do have "The Bible Unearthed" on the shelf behind me. (I assume that you have not read it.)
  2. Bringing the Bible to life is a worthless criteria, but let's get back to this later.*
  3. The author, Titus Kennedy, is adjunct professor at Biola University and research fellow at Discovery Institute.
  4. It is true that there are different opinions on interpretation. It is also true that not all opinions are created equal.
  5. You agree with those which show the Bible to be true, no matter how flimsy.
But, perhaps I'm wrong.

* Let me suggest that you pick your top three of these "101 Archaeological Discoveries that bring the Bible to life" -- whatever that might mean -- and we can discuss them one by one. Yes?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Again... Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
That is an incorrect phrase. The proper phrase is Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence.

Please note the qualifier. If an event would have left clear evidence then the absence of evidence for that event is evidence against it.

As to the debates about the earliest writings that became the Bible, I am not an expert by any means. I will leave that debate to Biblical experts.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

exchemist

Veteran Member
I believe the Bible but understand that in accademia that is not enough.
I can underdstand academics wanting archaeological or historical support before documents are accepted as being true, especially if supernatural claims are made in the documents. But of course the supernatural claims can be tossed out and the rest of the document accepted as happens with other ancient documents.
The historians want to go with a date that disagrees with the Bible and go with a date in which there is no archaeological support instead of accepting the Biblical dating of the events and end up in a time frame with archaeological support.
That sort of stuff boggles the mind.
Then on top of that they want to make up their own version of events and completely dismiss an Exodus when a reinterpretation of what the Bible says ends up with an archaeology that completely agrees with the Bible.
:confused:
I've only just come across this. Are you really suggesting the historians are disagreeing with the archaeologists? Why would they do that?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
He would have been correct if he put scare quotes around the word archaeologist:

"Experts" say that brushing your teeth leads to brain cancer.
It's worse than that. To claim that "archaeologist do use the TaNaKh to help them locate cities and judge events accordingly ... ecause of the reliability of what was written" is shamefully dishonest or embarrassingly ignorant.