• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a "Speak English" sign in a business discriminatory?

Is a "speak english" sign discriminatory?

• Yes: He should be forced to take it down.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No: It is free speech.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Maybe: Does he look like Brad Pitt or Manuel Noriega?

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

ayani

it certainly strikes be as b*tchy.

and why not invest in something that will help non-english speakers order, such as a picture menu? come on...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
comprehend said:
From the Philadelphia Inquirer (FULL) :

So what do you think?

Is it discriminatory?

Is it free speech?

I can't really understand his need to put the notice up; I would hardly walk into his steak house and order in French............

When in Rome.......However, I haven't answered the question itself; is it discriminatory ? I guess in these days of "P.C", it probably is seen to be.

Booko

Deviled Hen
comprehend said:
speaking of absurd, imagine if hospitals actually did it. Who could possibly staff an interpreter for every language spoken in NYC?

Well, and let's please not start requiring everyone to be able to translate everything.

Goodness, I work as a poll manager (next election in March) and we have new voters who come in whose language skills could be stronger.

I don't speak Hmong or Gujarati, though I have a smattering of Spanish. I'm *still* not going to try and assist a Spanish-speaking voter, though, because my Spanish is iffy and I'm not going to risk telling them something wrong either (especially when there are loads of Spanish-speakers working in the school anyway).

According to GA state law, any voter is allowed to bring an interpreter with them to assist.

Honestly, I don't know why we don't just confirm English as the official language and get on with things.

If that's somehow "racist" then as far as I know, most or maybe all of the other nations are racist too. At least we'll have good company. :rolleyes:

As for the businessman, it's choice whether he wants to risk losing customers or not.

We have a thriving market here in Atlanta where the workers all wear tags listing what languages they speak. Just about any customer will be able to track down someone who can assist them without "officially" and "legally" demanding anything.

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
I can't really understand his need to put the notice up; I would hardly walk into his steak house and order in French............

Live near me for a while. There are ever-increasing demands that we cater to a particular language as if it should be on an equal footing with English.

Talk about creating resentment...

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
PureX said:
I just think it's foolish.

It only become discrimination if the store owner refuses to conduct business with someone because they don't speak english. If that were to happen, the refused patron would have a cause for legal action, and would probably win the suit, and the store owner would end up paying restitution for his discriminatory practices.

and the damages would be....

nutshell

comprehend said:
speaking of absurd, imagine if hospitals actually did it. Who could possibly staff an interpreter for every language spoken in NYC?

What happens if a man who only speaks mandarin goes into a rural kansas hospital? Do you really think it is a good idea to have a mandarin speaker on staff in every hospital?

also, blood and guts speak a universal language. If there is really something wrong with the person, they do not need an interpreter to point out what it is. :D

That's not how it works. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
comprehend said:

What happens if a man who only speaks mandarin goes into a rural kansas hospital? Do you really think it is a good idea to have a mandarin speaker on staff in every hospital?

also, blood and guts speak a universal language. If there is really something wrong with the person, they do not need an interpreter to point out what it is. :D

We have this problem all the time in our hospital. Many patients speak only Spanish or Navajo. We can always find staff who speak Spanish. Navajo is a bit more problematic but we do have some speakers on staff. There is a master list somewhere of which languages each staff member speaks, but the appropriately skilled person isn't always on duty, may have no skills in the medical terminology needed, or may not be a competent interpreter. We rely heavily on bilingual family members and encourage them to stay with the patient. When no interpreters can be found there are telephone services with skilled, certified interpreters we can use. It's a rather clumsy system but it works in a pinch.
</IMG>

nutshell

FYI

The interpreter of choice is the telephone. Hospitals (or anyone else for that matter) can sign up for telephone interpreting with a major interpreting company and they will literally have hundreds of languages at their finger tips within seconds. They will be paid a low per minute usage fee. It's a great business to be in (although Language Line established by AT&T is practically a monopoly).

Here is Language Line's website: http://www.languageline.com/

Here is the site of the small mom and pop I used to manage: http://www.pacificinterpreters.com/

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
nutshell said:
FYI

The interpreter of choice is the telephone. Hospitals (or anyone else for that matter) can sign up for telephone interpreting with a major interpreting company and they will literally have hundreds of languages at their finger tips within seconds. They will be paid a low per minute usage fee. It's a great business to be in (although Language Line established by AT&T is practically a monopoly).

Here is Language Line's website: http://www.languageline.com/

Here is the site of the small mom and pop I used to manage: http://www.pacificinterpreters.com/

judging by the post just above yours, it doesn't work too well...

nutshell

comprehend said:
judging by the post just above yours, it doesn't work too well...

Your leaping to conclusions.

The system works like magic. I think that hospital needs some serious training. For one think, telephonic interpreting is WAY cheaper than employing random bilingual staff that probably can't interpret anyways because (1) they have other job responsibilities and (2) they aren't trained interpreters. For another thing, family members SHOULD NEVER INTERPRET. That opens up a huge can of worms and puts the hospital at risk of liability.

PureX

Veteran Member
comprehend said:
and the damages would be....
That depends. It could be as little as the wasted gasoline that the refused customer spent driving to that store, or as much as some nutty jury will allow for the "injury" of an insult. If I were a store owner, I'd be darned careful not to open myself up to such a suit just to appease my own prejudices.

nutshell

PureX said:
That depends. It could be as little as the wasted gasoline that the refused customer spent driving to that store, or as much as some nutty jury will allow for the "injury" of an insult. If I were a store owner, I'd be darned careful not to open myself up to such a suit just to appease my own prejudices.

I'm not sure what you mean by "nutty jury." Can you expand please?

PureX

Veteran Member
nutshell said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "nutty jury." Can you expand please?
Juries are made up of just "regular folks", and every now and then they are made up of the more nutty "regular folks" among us, and the damages they award reflect their eccentricities.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
nutshell said:
Your leaping to conclusions.

The system works like magic. I think that hospital needs some serious training. For one think, telephonic interpreting is WAY cheaper than employing random bilingual staff that probably can't interpret anyways because (1) they have other job responsibilities and (2) they aren't trained interpreters. For another thing, family members SHOULD NEVER INTERPRET. That opens up a huge can of worms and puts the hospital at risk of liability.

ok. 1. I didn't leap to any conclusions. I said, judging by the post above yours... meaning, from that single example, it does not look to great.
2. I am getting the distinct impression you are somehow vested in this program. Do you have any connection to this?
3. I never said anything about having family members interpret.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
PureX said:
Juries are made up of just "regular folks", and every now and then they are made up of the more nutty "regular folks" among us, and the damages they award reflect their eccentricities.

and then the judge says: nice try.

believe it or not, juries don't just get to run willy nilly all over handing out money even if that is what you see on tv.

no injury = no damages.

PureX

Veteran Member
comprehend said:
and then the judge says: nice try.

believe it or not, juries don't just get to run willy nilly all over handing out money even if that is what you see on tv.

no injury = no damages.
This is not true in all states, which is why some states are notorious for awarding massive damages, and why there is a whole business based on seeking such damages in these particular states.

Also, often it is the jury that decides that an "injury" has occurred. And once that has been decided, they will have a set range within which they can choose to award damages. As long as the jury stick to this range, the judge cannot over-rule them.

And I'm not necessarily saying that they're wrong. Depending on specific circumstances, there could be ligitimate harm done by a store owner prejudicially refusing service. Imagine that a pharmacist refuses to fill a prescription because the patron is (whatever ... fill in the blank) and the patron collapses on the long walk to the next nearest pharmacy. Or imagine that the store owner humiliates a man in front of his children as he refuses him service, simply because he's (whatever ... fill in the blank). There are all sorts of ways in which ligitimate injury could be done by a store owner refusing service due to personal prejudice. And they could then be found liable for that damage.

nutshell

PureX said:

Can you give a specific example please?

nutshell

comprehend said:
ok. 1. I didn't leap to any conclusions. I said, judging by the post above yours... meaning, from that single example, it does not look to great.
2. I am getting the distinct impression you are somehow vested in this program. Do you have any connection to this?
3. I never said anything about having family members interpret.

1. You made a conclusion based on a single example. Your mind seemed pretty made up.

2. I already stated I used to manage one of these companies.

3. The post "above mine" (the one you referred to) mentioned family members interpret.