• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a "Speak English" sign in a business discriminatory?

Is a "speak english" sign discriminatory?

• Yes: He should be forced to take it down.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No: It is free speech.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Maybe: Does he look like Brad Pitt or Manuel Noriega?

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Ciscokid

nutshell said:
While I agree with you, don't you recognize the difference between discriminating on the basis of hats and the basis of race, nationality, or religion?

The Spanish language isn't a race, nationality or religion.

PetShopBoy88

My choice isn't up there. Yes, it's discriminatory, but a private business owner should be allowed to discriminate in any way he chooses. He's the one who gets to decide the opportunity costs of various actions and he should be able to make his descisions on what he thinks is his own interest, not on what some random "government" thinks is his best interest.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Is it discriminatory? Maybe.

Is it a slap in the face at those whose first language is not English? Yes.

Is it in poor taste? Yes, to put it mildly.

Should it come down? Lemme put it this way, if I ran a restaurant, there would be no way in hell that I would dare post such a sign. And considering that there's a community of people living near me that hardly speak a word of English, I think my post speaks for itself.