• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Anyone Here Actually a "Bad Person"?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is anyone actually a bad person? I'm certainly not because back in '92, I gave one of my employees a handsome bonus so he could buy his wife a dress for Christmas. It's pretty much the only good thing I've actually done, but so long as we're slinging around absolute standards, then I fail to measure up to the absolute standard necessary to be called a bad person.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Is anyone actually a bad person? I'm certainly not because back in '92, I gave one of my employees a handsome bonus so he could buy his wife a dress for Christmas. It's pretty much the only good thing I've actually done, but so long as we're slinging around absolute standards, then I fail to measure up to the absolute standard necessary to be called a bad person.
Lots of bad people in the world. Thatcher and Bush are bad to the bone.
Of course that's only my opinion and as you indicate there are no absolutes.
Oh, forgot Reagan. He was bad too. Keep children awake at night bad.

elmarna

we are born with a great resource to connect in the world of humanity.
I can not believe anyone is born "bad".
I think in all ways to look upon life that those who are responding in unwise ways have chosen to do so & not likely were created that way in the begining.
Even crimanals do not want harm done to them.
In it I can say that as a spieces we are inheirently wanting a "good " way of life & a "nice" place to share it in.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But you have to use absolute standards! Satan is the ultimate standard of evil for the universe. If you're anything short of perfectly evil, then you can't warrant Hell on your own merits!

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Nobody is truly bad. Even those who cause the most suffering are just incredibly ignorant.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, if we're going by the standard that just one "bad" act means you can't be a "good person", then by that logic, just one "good" act means you can't be a "bad person". We all hover in the gray uncertainty of the inbetween I guess. :shrug:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
IF the whole Jesus thing is correct God counts me as righteous and innocent. Even if that's the case it's not something deserved. It's like a kid who's atrocious at baseball being picked to be in a little league all star team because his dad is coach. Sure, technically he's an all star but does he feel like he's worthy of taking credit for it, no.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, if we're going by the standard that just one "bad" act means you can't be a "good person", then by that logic, just one "good" act means you can't be a "bad person". We all hover in the gray uncertainty of the inbetween I guess. :shrug:
If it helps, I don't believe in a literal Heaven - only a separation from Satan. But even this situation isn't really his will. We choose not to turn to Satan, and Satan merely lets us get our choice. Satan desires for all of us to be in Hell... but he allows us free will to make sure that when we come to him, we do it deliberately. Satan doesn't want to torture robots for eternity.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
IF the whole Jesus thing is correct God counts me as righteous and innocent. Even if that's the case it's not something deserved. It's like a kid who's atrocious at baseball being picked to be in a little league all star team because his dad is coach. Sure, technically he's an all star but does he feel like he's worthy of taking credit for it, no.
It would be rather unjust and unfair to give a kid a spot on an all-star team that he didn't deserve, don't you think?

BTW - in a similar vein, a story made the news recently about a boy who stood in for his brother to make a shot on goal for $50,000:

Watch the video: Boy, 11, makes miraculous hockey shot

The debate now is whether the boy who made the shot should get the prize or not. On one side, some people say that he did score the goal, so he should get the prize for scoring the goal. On the other side, people are saying that because he broke the rules of the game, he doesn't deserve to win.

The one thing that neither side is suggesting is that the prize go to the brother who was supposed to shoot but didn't.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
It would be rather unjust and unfair to give a kid a spot on an all-star team that he didn't deserve, don't you think?

BTW - in a similar vein, a story made the news recently about a boy who stood in for his brother to make a shot on goal for $50,000:

Watch the video: Boy, 11, makes miraculous hockey shot

The debate now is whether the boy who made the shot should get the prize or not. On one side, some people say that he did score the goal, so he should get the prize for scoring the goal. On the other side, people are saying that because he broke the rules of the game, he doesn't deserve to win.

The one thing that neither side is suggesting is that the prize go to the brother who was supposed to shoot but didn't.

I wasn't drawing a direct comparison to what God has or hasn't done. I was saying how I feel about it. To take the baseball story and liken it to the Christian story, it would be like a superstar player willingly giving up his spot on the squad to someone less deserving.

Last edited:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
FWIW, It does seem a little ridiculous to me that a child rapist and murderer can spend a lifetime hurting kids and then right before he's about get lethal injection, can choose to follow JC and get forgiven for all of it. At the very least, it's incredibly generous of the big guy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
FWIW, It does seem a little ridiculous to me that a child rapist and murderer can spend a lifetime hurting kids and then right before he's about get lethal injection, can choose to follow JC and get forgiven for all of it. At the very least, it's incredibly generous of the big guy.
OTOH, if one of those kids turns from Jesus because of the emotional scarring of what he's been through, he gets consigned to the fires of Hell.

I'm not sure "generous" would be the word I'd use. I think "arbitrary" would be a better fit.

Bob Dixon

>implying

Remember that he has to be genuinely repentant, which he probably won't be. In fact, it'll most likely be a "Pascal's Wager" type thing.

I think he'd still be forgiven eventually, though. Unless he's made of pure evil, there's no way he's alright; someone who spends their life hurting and raping children is probably mentally ill anyway.