• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Athiesm a Religion?

Parsimony

Don't equate Adapation to evolution, they are 2 different and discrete words
There are many examples of non-evolutionary adaptation that can happen in an individual, true (such muscle gain, low-oxygen habituation, refined artistry skills, etc.), but evolution also results in adaptation because genetic change in a population over time in response to selection pressures creates individuals that are better adapted to that environment.

Seeing that this is a thread about atheism, I'll refrain from discussing evolution here further. I think I'll limit evolutionary discussion to the other thread you have made.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
I don't deem you to be any sophisticated. You have not given me any proof.
Wait, you want us to give you "proof" yet about your so called learning you won't give us any proof.

Your so called learning smells like sitting and listening to Ken Ham for an hour, and calling yourself learned. If you truly studied evolution why not name the Universities and

pro4life

Wait, you want us to give you "proof" yet about your so called learning you won't give us any proof.

Your so called learning smells like sitting and listening to Ken Ham for an hour, and calling yourself learned. If you truly studied evolution why not name the Universities and

Go reread the rat subject.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
I am able to put testimonies because I have the credibility to do so.
Nope, Your credibility is about as credible as the existence of Bigfoot.
Don't feel insulted and feel like I am claiming these terms based on bias or hateful premise.
you sound like one of these very Conservative Texan Christians that have never been further than the edge of town, and gets his education from watching Ken Ham

Go reread the rat subject.
The Rat subject is no proof. It might be in your home. But anywhere else it's like evidence of Bigfoot. Flawed and non-existing.

All you proved is that you know nothing about evolution. If you truly studied you might have to ask your money back sincew your so-called teachers didn't teach you anything

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
What did the heliconius butterflies evolve from?

Heliconius butterflies were observed to split into several new species - isn't that exactly whatyou asked for? The heliconius butterflies evolved from the Nymphalidae, they are a sub family of Nymphalidae.

Norrin-6-

Heliconius butterflies were observed to split into several new species - isn't that exactly whatyou asked for? The heliconius butterflies evolved from the Nymphalidae, they are a sub family of Nymphalidae.
In before "They're still butterflies. That's not evolution."

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
In before "They're still butterflies. That's not evolution."

I know, it's a tragedy. We could predict every response from this point on - first the 'Yeah but it is still a butterfly", then all the usual malarky in which 'speciation' goes from being a fly species becoming two fly species to a carrot turning into a zebra before your eyes.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Sorry. Don't think so. A "religion" is by definition something that has to do with belief in a God, having dogma/traditions/rituals, and not just scholars or "prophets." (A prophet is supposedly someone being a spokesperson for God, so do you believe atheist prophets are speaking God's will?)

So far, I haven't been approached by any proselytizer of atheism. I have from religious people, but never from atheists. Do you have them knocking on doors in your area?

Anyway, if it's true that atheism is considered a religion, then where's the tax exemption? They need to get it just like any religious church does.

Don't know about the Tax exemption but in New Jersey they are setting up weekly meeting locations and are advertising or proselytizing on billboards and Posters though out the state. The one that got national news was on your way to the Lincoln tunnel last year so that they could get as many people as possible. The are even putting up monuments outside courthouses to visit and think.
th

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Is Athiesm a Religion?

No. First, it's atheism.

Second, neither atheism nor theism are religions. They simply describe either a belief in any god or the lack thereof.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Don't know about the Tax exemption but in New Jersey they are setting up weekly meeting locations and are advertising or proselytizing on billboards and Posters though out the state. The one that got national news was on your way to the Lincoln tunnel last year so that they could get as many people as possible. The are even putting up monuments outside courthouses to visit and think.
th
Oh, that's true. I've heard about those things a long time ago but forgot about them.

So I'll retract that part. Atheists do proselytize.

Renji

I am starting to believe that Athiesm starting to be like a religion. They already have their own scholars, proselytization, and prophets(hawkins)

"Religion" involves belief in a supreme being called god or gods. Same time, it involves beliefs on something supernatural (like miracles and stuff). Atheism simply don't. We don't proselytize either trying to 'push' people on a belief system, else, you'll end up in hell or stuff like that. Dawkins didn't drew his 'prophecies' (I love that term. :p) from something that is magical, dogmatic and stuff. It's all based on facts and 'human' knowledge. Though we can consider some religious stuff from human knowledge as well, most religions, especially christianity claim such knowledge from the supernatural. Atheism simply don't. And we don't push people to 'convert' . Atheism isn't something that you should 'convert' or 'believe' into like religion does.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Atheism is not a religion simply because it is not organized on any other beliefs other than the theological view that God does not exist. In the same way "theism" isn't a religion

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am starting to believe that Athiesm starting to be like a religion. They already have their own scholars, proselytization, and prophets(hawkins)

What you perceive as characterizing a religion is of course up to you, but if those are your criteria, then I fear you are misunderstanding the situation by a wide margin. Hawkins is hardly a prophet, proselitism is at least arguably far more proper for atheism than for religion, and as for scholars... I don't think they really belong to religion in the first place.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim

Neither theism or atheism in of themselves, have any inherent religious connotations.

However, you can be a atheist and have a religious mindset in regards to your atheistic views.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If atheism is a religion, where is the BS? You know, the "don't eat shellfish" stuff that makes no sense? All religions I know of have mounds of BS in addition to whatever wisdom they contain. So, if atheism is a religion, where's the BS? Also, where are the churches?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual

How can a lack of belief somehow be a system of belief? Atheist thinkers do not missionize, but rather point out the obvious based on all the evidence we've got.