• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Athiesm a Religion?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are atheist who have bought a church in England because they want the 'God feeling' whithout God. haha. So they go there for a sgin-song and a cup of tea, smack each other on the back, and then presumably go home and wait to die.

Such a flippant claim really begs for a source, you know.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Taking that definition, atheism very much "has to do with a belief in god," being that the atheist doesn't have that belief. I think it's just a case that the "prophets and scholars" are the ones who put out the dogma,* define what's tradition and concretize the rituals by formalizing them. That's precisely what the books accomplish.
*Who put the dogma out... whoot whoot
right... and what does that mean??

Robert.Evans

Why are you assuming that atheism has to be "strongly held", or that it will have religious significance when it is?
There are different levels of belief whether it be of God or no God. Atheist believe there is no God. Now you will say that they don't, they just have no believe, as you sit there arguing about it, which kinda sounds like you believe it to the point you think you are right. Or are you coming round?> I doubt it haha

outhouse

Atheistically
Oh, that's true. I've heard about those things a long time ago but forgot about them.

So I'll retract that part. Atheists do proselytize.

Then colleges and universities proselytize for us to ;)

As they are all trying to get people to face reality.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In regards to the scientific evidence-there is no plausible evidence of any sort or any scientific methodology that proved the accuracy of evolution.
A more sensible objection would be that there is ONLY plausible evidence for evolution, and nothing more. That would offer up an evolution that is debatable. No evidence offers nothing.

On the other hand adaptation is believable and I have researched it thoroughly. Adaptations: Certain bacterias are able to become resistant to certain drugs if given the right environment and pressure. But you see this bacteria did not evolve but certainly did adapt to its environment. This bacteria did not become a fungus or an amoeba.
Evolution isn't the accomplishment of turning into another species, it's just an explanation of why some creatures do change.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are different levels of belief whether it be of God or no God.

Perhaps. Or perhaps disbelief is just disbelief. For many people it does not make any sense to "strongly disbelieve" in god, any more than one can strongly disbelieve in, say, Bigfoot.

TL;DR: You are assuming a whole lot about what atheism is. Some of us may be anti-theists or see atheism as significant for other reasons. Many others will not.

Atheist believe there is no God. Now you will say that they don't, they just have no believe, as you sit there arguing about it, which kinda sounds like you believe it to the point you think you are right. Or are you coming round?> I doubt it haha

It seems to me that you are just confused about what religion is supposed to be. Maybe your personal experience showed it to be mostly a territorial thing, I dunno.

jonathan180iq

If theists would stop claiming that there was a god, then Atheists wouldn't exist - we would all just "be". We wouldn't have to even bring this god business up at all if you guys didn't claim so loudly that it was THE TRUTH!!! GOD SAYS SO!!!

The only reason that it seems like atheists are proselytizing is because for a large majority of human history, religious people have made baseless claims and created rules and laws to make society fit those claims. You've (as followers of any major religion) imposed your views on people from all walks of life simply because you feel like you know more than everyone else. That's wrong. It's only recently that we've had the collective balls to stand up against that. The social stigmas that have been associated with religious belief have caused countless amounts of grief simply because religion imposes itself on those around it by "spreading the gospel", for example. All we are doing is refuting the authority of these religious claims based on what is actually observable reality.

We aren't trying to take away your right to practice your religion. We are taking away your right to impose that belief system on people who don't want it. That's it. And it's not because we are atheists. It's because doing so is wrong.

Now, personally, if you make a claim on the internet that isn't supported factually, you shouldn't be surprised that people refute that claim. If you claim doesn't stand up, then what does say about the claim? I think the Bible says something about this as well...

This is not an emotional thing for us (some of us). You guys (theists) believe in something that can't be supported factually.
You want to know a big secret? There's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy whatever brings you fulfillment. Who cares if I don't believe in it? Your faith shouldn't be affected by my lack of faith. Have you ever debated with Greek Polytheist? You think their claims are bogus, don't you? Do give their god(s) any credence whatsoever? What you do at that point is what we do all the time. There is no difference.

HonestJoe

Atheism according to the RF can be a religion.
A common error. That quote is saying that "atheists can be religious" not "atheism is a religion".

Atheism isn't a religion for the same reason theism isn't a religion. Both terms only describe a singular characteristic about an individual and nothing else. Everyone, regardless of being atheist or theist, has a wider set of beliefs and world views, some of which may be considered religious, but that doesn't apply to everyone those beliefs almost always differ where it do.

(Congratulations, you got my first post on the new-look forum :) )

ArtieE

disagree. It might differ slightly from one to another, as any religion foes. But fundamentally it is the same, with the same arguments
You're kidding right? Buddhism and Judaism and Raëlism are basically the same with the same arguments?

ArtieE

There are different levels of belief whether it be of God or no God. Atheist believe there is no God.
No they don't. Atheists have an absence of belief in gods. Plural. They are simply not theists. The people who believe there are no gods (not just the Christian one) are called "strong atheists" and are a subset of all atheists. Please learn the correct terminology.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
I say, Yes, Atheism is a Religion
for me, Religion is the way a person lives his/her life not only organized set of rules

Robert.Evans

If theists would stop claiming that there was a god, then Atheists wouldn't exist - we would all just "be". We wouldn't have to even bring this god business up at all if you guys didn't claim so loudly that it was THE TRUTH!!! GOD SAYS SO!!!

The only reason that it seems like atheists are proselytizing is because for a large majority of human history, religious people have made baseless claims and created rules and laws to make society fit those claims. You've (as followers of any major religion) imposed your views on people from all walks of life simply because you feel like you know more than everyone else. That's wrong. It's only recently that we've had the collective balls to stand up against that. The social stigmas that have been associated with religious belief have caused countless amounts of grief simply because religion imposes itself on those around it by "spreading the gospel", for example. All we are doing is refuting the authority of these religious claims based on what is actually observable reality.

We aren't trying to take away your right to practice your religion. We are taking away your right to impose that belief system on people who don't want it. That's it. And it's not because we are atheists. It's because doing so is wrong.

Now, personally, if you make a claim on the internet that isn't supported factually, you shouldn't be surprised that people refute that claim. If you claim doesn't stand up, then what does say about the claim? I think the Bible says something about this as well...

This is not an emotional thing for us (some of us). You guys (theists) believe in something that can't be supported factually.
You want to know a big secret? There's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy whatever brings you fulfillment. Who cares if I don't believe in it? Your faith shouldn't be affected by my lack of faith. Have you ever debated with Greek Polytheist? You think their claims are bogus, don't you? Do give their god(s) any credence whatsoever? What you do at that point is what we do all the time. There is no difference.
It is supported factually, but it is withing that the proof is found. That is why you can't see it.
Just to show the other side of the coin, atheims torutured and killed many people in Russia and Romania and i would say many other incidents if they were recorded as such.

Robert.Evans

No they don't. Atheists have an absence of belief in gods. Plural. They are simply not theists. The people who believe there are no gods (not just the Christian one) are called "strong atheists" and are a subset of all atheists. Please learn the correct terminology.
haha, people do not argue like you, and then say I just have no belief.... it is more than that. Please learn that definiton is not always correct when taken literally.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I say, Yes, Atheism is a Religion
for me, Religion is the way a person lives his/her life not only organized set of rules
Once again from Lewis Carro1l …

'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.​