• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Athiesm a Religion?

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I missed this post.

Really? They did? Ok. I'll admit, perhaps atheism is becoming a religion after all.
You know there is a video on youtube that shows Dawkins and Krauss going out on stage with the crowd chanting Richard is god... haha, hmm

Robert.Evans

I can't be sure of anything which can't be proven or disproven true. So while I don't think there are gods, I won't state this with certainty.
so then you are agnostic:- 'you don't know'.
But if you keep arguing, then I will saying you are an atheist and you didn't mean what you just said :)

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I'd say it's just indecisiveness about gods.

The Church of Agnostic. Meeting is taking place on Sunday morning, but we're not sure the if the church building is there.

The Sunday meeting for Church of Prognosticators has been postponed until next week.

The Church of Atheism. We don't believe in meetings!

;)

Robert.Evans

The Church of Agnostic. Meeting is taking place on Sunday morning, but we're not sure the if the church building is there.

The Sunday meeting for Church of Prognosticators has been postponed until next week.

The Church of Atheism. We don't believe in meetings!

;)
haha... that is good.

jonathan180iq

atheist tortured and killed people in Romania SPECIFICALLY because they were Christian. So I would say so yes. Was it not supposed to be atheist in the Columbine school shooting?

Certainly - and the Chinese government and the North Koreans have committed similar crimes against humanity fairly recently.
Is that based on their doctrine of atheistic beliefs that we all share, which can somehow be supported with our atheist scripture? If it is, if there is an underlying belief system or something somewhere please show it to me.

Just to address a point that was made earlier - I have not once even cracked a book or read an article written by Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss or anyone else that might be considered of high regard in that aspect. It's unnecessary. To consider them prophets or some other asinine thing is...well, asinine.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I missed this post.

Really? They did? Ok. I'll admit, perhaps atheism is becoming a religion after all.
Or this is a social club. To simply buy a church
True.

But I don't think it's there yet. Perhaps we'll see atheist churches and ordained ministers in the future, but currently the stage is more of the cult stage. :D
I can visualize an atheist sermon......

Preacher: "I do not believe in gods!"
Flock member: "Go on."
Preacher: "That's it."
Flock member: "Well, that isn't much of a sermon."
Preacher: "Well sir, atheism isn't much of a religion."

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It could be a religion, especially if a group of atheists develop a universal moral code.

Doesn't mean all atheists are part of a religion. Just like it doesn't mean everyone who believes in some form of God is part of a religion.

Don't compare atheism to Christianity. Compare it to spiritualism. Being a atheist or spiritualist doesn't require either to be part of a religion. Neither does either preclude them from being part of a religion.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Or this is a social club. To simply buy a church
I see a church as a social club. :) In general, I think that's exactly what a church is. A place to congregate, communicate with friends, and get to know new people. The sermon is just a way for the pastor to justify his existence. :D

I can visualize an atheist sermon......

Preacher: "I do not believe in gods!"
Flock member: "Go on."
Preacher: "That's it."
Flock member: "Well, that isn't much of a sermon."
Preacher: "Well sir, atheism isn't much of a religion."
Praise be Nahweh!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It could be a religion, especially if a group of atheists develop a universal moral code.
But this code would be unique to those who adopt it. It wouldn't be derived from disbelief, & other heathens will differ greatly from it. Our singular shared trait is disbelief in gods. Every other belief & value is up for grabs. Some of us are honest & peaceful...others are murderous thugs. Atheism doesn't guide us one way or the other. Sounds pretty useless, eh?

outhouse

Atheistically

It could rain yellow plastic ducky's too!

If a hurricane blows through a toy factory.

If you have not been clued in, we do something many theist do not, that is universal, we don't let religion close our minds, or let that religious bias destroy education and knowledge.

But really, it is no religion, nor will it be, as religion is defined.

We have a universal moral code, its called school. But have fun trying to turn that into a religion :cool:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Religion means a way for me, no matter what name We give a certain Religion. and that works for every one because everyone has a way to live life
That is what I am asking. How does Atheism become a "way of living" for anyone?