• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Athiesm a Religion?

outhouse

Atheistically
Yes, they don't wake up one day and go "Allah Akbar" because they are not required to do any act of worship at that age. But my question was, How did you know they have no knowledge about God? if it is ONLY your opinion. then it is fine cause you can't prove anything

Appealing to ignorance does not help you.

Children have to be taught everything they know. That is a fact.

jonathan180iq

Nope we are all born atheist.

We don't care one way or the other. We don't even know of the existence of people's beliefs in deities so we can't not believe in them, right?
We just are. We just exist. We aren't anything but a slime-covered flesh sack - everything after that is taught and learned.

Atheists cease to be called atheists once people stop claiming there are gods.

outhouse

Atheistically
Unless he creates his own religion.

Oh so if he imagines something later in life, he can become a theist, YES.

That just shows a clear pattern of being born atheist and then becoming a theist.

Most people do follow that pattern.

ArtieE

I, for one, don't believe that atheism is a religion. But certain atheists do treat it kind of like one (seemingly). They don't "proselytize", but there are a few who spread things like "When someone believes in God, I wonder if they are less intelligent". I've seen certain statements like this on Facebook on a Page named "I ****ing Love Atheism" (this is just one example and a mild one). If they "simply don't believe in God", they I don't think they'd even bother saying such things.

That's the way I see it.
Atheists are simply not theists. Those who "proselytize" are anti-theists or irreligious in addition to not being theists.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Nope we are all born atheist.

Actually, that might not happen to be the case. While it would seem to be commonsense that we're all born atheist, evidence from the sciences is increasingly undermining that notion. It now seems more likely that we are all born with predispositions to some sort of religiosity -- albeit not necessarily a full blown belief in deity. Just as we're born with a predisposition to various cognitive biases.

It would be ridiculous, however, to assert that the atheist's failure to believe in deity was somehow less valid because it is, to some extent, a rejection of the natural inclination of humans towards some sort of religiosity. Ridiculous, because that would be like saying that someone who corrects his or her tendency towards confirmation bias is a greater fool than someone who doesn't.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
Appealing to ignorance does not help you.

Children have to be taught everything they know. That is a fact.
I disagree,

Here Children know what is right and what is wrong with no one teaching them. You are just ignorant and have no clue about LOL

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What you fail you understand is, I don't have beliefs about a deity. I lack them.

But you have had heard of God before you didn't believe in God.
Atheists are simply not theists. Those who "proselytize" are anti-theists or irreligious in addition to not being theists.
I understand that. The people who write that page on facebook are the ones who don't know that. They call themselves atheists, not anti-theist.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is always good to keep the balance. Not all things get reported in the news
Again, what's your point? To say "atheist tortured and killed people" is to say relatively little. In fact, borscht lovers tortured and killed people as well, ad did humus lovers.

Are you perhaps truing to suggest that "atheist tortured and killed people" as a consequence of their atheism? If so, watching you attempt to justify the claim should be more than a little entertaining.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What you fail you understand is, I don't have beliefs about a deity. I lack them.

Ok, so you have no position to support with regard to deities. I'd be kind of surprised that anyone has a problem with that.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But you have had heard of God before you didn't believe in God.

I wonder. Far as I remember at least, I never believed in God. Several times I found myself considerably surprised by the existence of certain specific indicators that there is such a thing as people who do. IIRC, I had just assumed that people like to use certain figures of speech that can't possibly be meant to be taken literally.

outhouse

Atheistically
, evidence from the sciences is increasingly undermining that notion. It now seems more likely that we are all born with predispositions to some sort of religiosity -- albeit not necessarily a full blown belief in deity. Just as we're born with a predisposition to various cognitive biases.

The evidence is called parental love. Then perverted by theist.

AGAIN a man born on a island grows up with no parents and learns or imagines no religion, was an atheist all his life.

You are factually an atheist until you learn religion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When you pull out the old red herring, you pull out the biggest one in the box.!

But breathing is now something a homo sapiens knows :rolleyes:

Eh, extremely silly statements warrant equally silly rebuttals. The actual "fact" of the matter is, children are not blank slates. And, as Sunstone points out, there is substantially more evidence for predisposition towards religiosity and/or theism in humans than the opposite. This predisposition - being a predisposition - is not taught, it is innate. Just like knowing how to breathe.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No.

They do not pervert the definition that way.

what part of this applies [considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies]

The especially part. Which means predominately but it is not always the case.