• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
BTW, "replacement theology" is not held by the majority of Christians
Yes, it is. Catholicism is the largest denomination, followed by Orthodoxy. Protestants are all over the place with their theology but the mainline Protestants would be more traditional in their views and agree that with the Catholics and the Orthodox are Spiritual Israel and have inherited the promises of the Israel of the OT.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, legally a person can be excluded for any reason, or no reason at all. it is called "freedom of association", but that is not what we are talking about. You propose a person was created to be a homosexual, I propose they were not. There you go

That would entail that we freely choose for which gender we are are sexually attracted. How we can freely choose that is mind boggling.

But let's suppose it is true.

When did you choose to be heterosexual?

Ciao

- viole

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
And yet, science has almost marked down the genomes that are involved with being homosexual. It definitely runs in families. It is not a choice, as I have been gay since I was about 8. A bit young to be able to consider the ramifications of such a lifestyle and trust me, being gay is no picnic. Being ridiculed and having to hide one's self from people such as yourself is a true PIA. Namaste.

What do you make of the differences in American culture about the way we view female homosexuality and male homosexuality? :):)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Has anyone commented on Leviticus chapter 20 verse 13 which says that if a man lies with another man they should both be put to death. It may not use the word homosexual but it seems to be a very strong warning against homosexual acts. Maybe you can have homosexual feelings and not be doing anything wrong but as soon as you take part in homosexual acts you have done something the Bible says is wrong and should be punished.
Maybe that injunction is culturally-embedded and does not apply to 21st century Western culture. Maybe the writer didn't understand that one could be oriented toward the same sex naturally. Maybe the writer was referring to battlefield rape. Why punish someone if you're not sure? Not only that, the injunction says they are to be killed. Why take part of the passage literalistically, but not all of it? Are you advocating killing homosexuals?

sojourner

There has been no gene identified as one responsible for homosexuality, you speculate they created that way, I do not.
Whatever you do! O. M. G.! Don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt! Don't show mercy! Be sure before you let them into Club Humanity! ( Which, BTW, goes against the biblical concept of hospitality.) Why does there have to be a "gene," for Petes sake? I like music, but I doubt it's genetically-encoded.

sojourner

Well, try this since you appear to be a hair splitter; Homosexual acts are taught to be wrong in the Bible, better ?
Much better! Precision is good. We've put to rest part of the fallacy. But there's still a lot of work that needs to be done.

sojourner

Sense of entitlement ? are you nuts ? Sin is the greatest human disorder, acts and condition that separate humanity from the the original intent of their creation. So, I guess I am dehumanizing all of humanity, including myself
Why do you believe the bible would call us to dehumanize ourselves?

sojourner

Take it up with God...not mere mortals... I respect you as a human being and wish you well...
Why? It's mortals who are doing the dehumanizing -- not God.

Why would you not respect me? Is there a reason I should doubt that a Christian would give another person full respect?

sojourner

Too confusing....could you be more concise...like in one sentence...
The writers didn't know about homosexuality as an orientation that was part of the human psyche. Therefore, same sex acts must be wrong. Get it?

sojourner

So who performs homosexual acts if not homosexuals?
To the writers it wasn't a matter of homosexual or heterosexual. If a sex act couldn't provide babies and caused one man to "take it like a woman," that act was deemed wrong. We don't operate under those social guidelines anymore.

sojourner

Nonsense. To the writers sex between two people of the same sex is a sin, therefore wrong. Revisionism is alive and well in those who want homosexuality to be totally acceptable even to those who believe the Bible. So, your mission is clear, deny that the Bible says what it says, and use statements like " to the writers, homosexuality was non existent " grab an assertion, any assertion , as long as it sounds somewhat sophisticated, and throw it against the wall and see if it will stick. The truth of the statement is irrelevant, because the end justifies the means, and because you are right. That is revisionism
Hogwash. You don't want to expend the energy to actually exegete the texts, because you're already convinced, and it's easier to just tell others that they're wrong and sinful. Because that's what you hear over and over again.

sojourner

I do not have any friends that smoke, nor do I associate with smokers, therefore, I am dehumanizing them, and practice bigotry against them. The Amish people associate with no one but members of their faith, so they are dehumanizing the rest of humanity and practicing bigotry against the world............... I could go on in the same vein for quite a while, but you practice selective indignation, the particular class of person you have deemed worthy of your protection is the person that is dehumanized because I choose not to have that class of person in my circle of friends. You don't care about smokers, nor the Amish, the weight of your righteousness is focused on demanding that my church accept homosexuals into fellowship, and having me make them my friends. What utter hypocrisy
1) "Smoker" isn't an identity in the same core way that "homosexual" is. One can stop smoking. One can change religion. One can't change who one is.

2) you're mistaken about the Amish.

sojourner

Well :lol: I was just giving an answer to the question...not trying to do more than that.
You're never "just giving an answer." You're reiterating speech and giving credence to prevailing, systemic attitudes that only serve to segregate others from "polite society."

shmogie

1) "Smoker" isn't an identity in the same core way that "homosexual" is. One can stop smoking. One can change religion. One can't change who one is.

2) you're mistaken about the Amish.
We simply differ, anyone can change what they do. As to the Amish, I know some Mennonites, a "diluted" form of the Amish,and they socialize and recreate with fellow believers primarily. They also maintain the Biblical view of homosexuality

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Has anyone commented on Leviticus chapter 20 verse 13 which says that if a man lies with another man they should both be put to death. It may not use the word homosexual but it seems to be a very strong warning against homosexual acts. Maybe you can have homosexual feelings and not be doing anything wrong but as soon as you take part in homosexual acts you have done something the Bible says is wrong and should be punished.
Shmogie has repeatedly said to me that, " .... The NT superceded the old, That Christians recognize the NT as the standard. What the ancient Jews did, and their legal code does not apply to Christians. Can you see it now ? Christians follow the teaching of Christ and the Apostles, separate from Judaism."