• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I see, others recognize the futility of debating with someone whose positions are nonsense.

I back mine with research, - which is much better then reposting TRANSLATIONS - which are being challenged.

How about you try some research, - and post actual rebuttal?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Sure...If there weren't an underlying transparent agenda to subvert the actual meaning...and ineptly at that...
The "actual meaning" is proffered, though, without an understanding of homosexuality as an orientation. If there's no orientation, then of course the acts would seem "wrong." However, if one understands that there is such a thing as a homosexual orientation, the acts are perceived as more "normal." If one understands that the earth is round, one leaves the flat earth model presented in the bible behind, yes?

sojourner

The philosophy is that of the big lie, tell it over, and over, and over again, and no matter how ridiculous, some will believe it.
The big lie is that the bible teaches against homosexuality. It's ridiculous to believe that it does, yet it's been preached over and over and some believe that nonsense.

sojourner

on the matter of the passages referring to homosexuality, the message is unambiguous for people who understand English
The passages don't refer to homosexuality. They refer to homosexual acts. Big. Difference. Claiming that thy do refer to homosexuality creates ambiguity in the perceived messages -- no matter what the language.

sojourner

You are full of bull. Your position is nonsense, and your name calling is the product of a childish mind. I have the right to be friends, or not, with whomever I choose. You are once again extrapolating from your own personal prejudice. I don't hate anyone, nor do I treat anyone with less than respect, Why are you so hell bent on completing your warped picture, with false brushes. Well, you must take up with Paul whether it is Un Christlike not to be Pals with whom he identifies very clearly. So, according to your logic, if I don't have homosexual friends, I am, by default, a hater who treats them badly. Paul said that his admonitions applied to believers only. He said further that you would have to leave the planet to disassociate yourself from them in daily life. So, apparently, you demand that I must allow those who think like you to dictate who I must befriend, that I must allow you to tell me what the Bible says, and I must allow you to decide who should be offered membership in my church. Once I do those things, am I copacetic with you ? Or, must we complete the job with you telling me what to think too ? I have an obligation to treat all people with whom I come into contact fairly and with dignity and respect. That's it. As long as I do that you have no basis for your static, and your projections are wishes on your part rather than having any basis in reality
It has nothing to do, particularly, with your choices. It has everything to do with the parameters upon which your choices are based. You don't have to "like everyone." But to automatically not "like" someone based upon their sexuality, their sex, their skin color, or their religion is bigotry. Why? Because to do so objectifies them, and objectification is a dehumanizing act. To dehumanize someone is to act out of bigotry against the objectified attribute, and not taking the subjective person into consideration.

sojourner

homophobe, unreasonable fear of homosexuals............... I know of no Christians that fear them, think they are less than human, or discriminates against them, unless it is required in exercising the right to practice ones religion. From the Christian perspective, homosexuality is a sin, an immoral act. But it is no worse than a whole host of other sins, some of which I commit, and seek forgiveness for. The issue is not whether we are all sinners, we are, the issue is not whether we need forgiveness of our sins, we do. The issue is whether a person who cherishes and habitually commits a sin, can be part of the Christian communion. The answer is no. No one can judge a person's soul, that is God's job and I am very happy to leave it to him. We are told that we can judge acts as part of the acceptance of a person into communion, we can and should. That is it ! No judging a persons acceptance by God, no judging a persons worth................... There are alleged Christian churches that accept homosexuals into membership, their theology is nonsense to me, nevertheless they have the right to do as they choose.............................................
In what sense can a person be excluded from the church for being who they were created to be?!?! Where is that written?

lostwanderingsoul

Has anyone commented on Leviticus chapter 20 verse 13 which says that if a man lies with another man they should both be put to death. It may not use the word homosexual but it seems to be a very strong warning against homosexual acts. Maybe you can have homosexual feelings and not be doing anything wrong but as soon as you take part in homosexual acts you have done something the Bible says is wrong and should be punished.

shmogie

In what sense can a person be excluded from the church for being who they were created to be?!?! Where is that written?
There has been no gene identified as one responsible for homosexuality, you speculate they created that way, I do not.

shmogie

Please reference the book, chapter, and verse that explicitly says, "homosexuality is a sin."

Srrsly?!
The passages don't refer to homosexuality. They refer to homosexual acts. Big. Difference. Claiming that thy do refer to homosexuality creates ambiguity in the perceived messages -- no matter what the language.
OK, homosexual acts are sinful. A celibate homosexual is not committing a sinful act

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
There has been no gene identified as one responsible for homosexuality, you speculate they created that way, I do not.
They have found that in homosexuals certain structures of the brain are shaped and function more like a heterosexual person of the opposite sex. And, they have indeed found a genetic basis.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...ene-study-gives-no-comfort-to-homophobes.html
The study by Dr Tuck C Ngun and his team at the University of California created an algorithm which, by measuring small genetic modifications which occur after birth,could guess the sexual orientation of males with up to 70 percent accuracy. This indicates that environmental factors have a significant influence on human sexuality, both heterosexual and homosexual.
But how much influence is still unclear. We already have plenty of previous research that points to major biological influences on sexual orientation. This includes "gay gene" studies that have identified the Xq28 marker on the X chromosome as associated with homosexuality. Other research has found that among identical twins where one brother is gay the likelihood of the other brother also being gay is much greater than the incidence of homosexuality in the general population.

If sexual attraction is, indeed, significantly fixed prior to birth or soon afterwards, whether by biological or environmental factors, it means that anti-gay regimes are persecuting lesbian and gay people for a sexual orientation that many or all of them have not chosen and cannot change. As well as being unethical, it is also means that attempts to suppress homosexuality are bound to fail because a certain percentage of every population is always likely to be predisposed to same-sex attraction.

There are, of course, still loose ends to Dr Ngun’s research and to all similar scientific studies. None of them identify a single cause of sexual orientation and none can explain everyone’s sexuality. This is because it seems that something as complex and varied as human sexuality doesn’t have a sole determinant. It is likely to be multi-causal, including to some degree (even if minor) cultural factors, such as social mores and expectations.
No one sits down one day and decides to be gay — or straight.

shmogie

The big lie is that the bible teaches against homosexuality. It's ridiculous to believe that it does, yet it's been preached over and over and some believe that nonsense.
Well, try this since you appear to be a hair splitter; Homosexual acts are taught to be wrong in the Bible, better ?

shmogie

If you're calling it a "disorder," you'd be wrong. Why use an inaccurate term that only serves to dehumanize a group of people, just to satisfy your overblown sense of morality and entitlement?
Sense of entitlement ? are you nuts ? Sin is the greatest human disorder, acts and condition that separate humanity from the the original intent of their creation. So, I guess I am dehumanizing all of humanity, including myself

shmogie

There are those who believe that pedophilia is a condition that people are created to be. They are excluded from my church too. Your question is based upon a theory that is far from universally accepted

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Asserting that they are sin is not respecting them -- it dehumanizes them. What's being revised is the context in which the meaning is conveyed. To the writers, homosexuality was non-existent, yet you read into the texts a meaning based in your own understanding of homosexuality. That's revisionism.
Take it up with God...not mere mortals... I respect you as a human being and wish you well...