• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Happily. Two of the most recent books, written by well qualified geologists are; " The Global Flood: Unlocking Earths Geologic History" John D. Morris. "The Rocks Don't Lie" David Montgomery
Where did you get the idea that John D. Morris was a "qualified geologist". He is seen by many in geology as a "cook", ignoring the scientific method by looking for evidence that confirms biblical claims rather than allowing all evidence to guide him.

shmogie

And as I've tried to explain to you, spontaneous generation was discarded, entirely and wholly, about 150 years ago, and also that evolution, biogensis, and the Big Bang are not the same things and are all three entirely separate theories.

You haven't been keeping up.
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein's theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once.

While that is true, there does come a point where denying the findings of science is denying hard facts and clear data. Such as, science has confirmed the Earth revolves around the sun and that microscopic organisms cause infections. To deny these findings of science is just foolish, and it is apparent and obvious as to why.
Spontaneous generation is exactly the same as biogenesis, different words, still living organisms originating from non living chemicals by an unknown process, i.e. the primordial sea composed of rock runoff and an unknown trigger bursts forth with living organisms, cells, bacteria, whatever. The proposed new model still is far from overtaking the BB. Of course they are three separate theories, one depending on another. Dark energy is far from identified, a theory may "account" for it, but that isn't an understanding or description.

shmogie

Where did you get the idea that John D. Morris was a "qualified geologist". He is seen by many in geology as a "cook", ignoring the scientific method by looking for evidence that confirms biblical claims rather than allowing all evidence to guide him.
Opinions are like rectums, everyone has one. Many believe him to be a competent geologist

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Pedophiles say their sexual orientation is attraction to children. They are not imprisoned for believing this, they are imprisoned for molesting children, the physical act. A person who believes they were born a homosexual, attracted to the same sex, could go a lifetime without committing the physical act. The Biblical verses would not apply to them. I might see a Ferrari with the keys in it, and think what fun I could have if I got in it and drove off. The law doesn';t care what I think, if I don't take the car. The only caveat is that Christ made it clear that obsessive thought about sex is wrong for anyone

According to the American Psychiatric Association - pedophilia is a mental disorder.

"Most pedophiles have a definite preference for one sex or the other. But it's tough to estimate the percentage of pedophiles who are heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual in their attraction to children, Blanchard says." http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/explaining-pedophilia

That preference shows that pedophiles are actually heterosexual, or homosexual, and the need for children is a mental disorder attached to either.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Spontaneous generation is exactly the same as biogenesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation
Spontaneous generation or anomalous generation is an obsolete body of thought on the ordinary formation of living organisms without descent from similar organisms. Typically, the idea was that certain forms such as fleas could arise from inanimate matter such as dust, or that maggots could arise from dead flesh. A variant idea was that of equivocal generation, in which species such as tapeworms arose from unrelated living organisms, now understood to be their hosts. Doctrines supporting such processes of generation held that these processes are commonplace and regular. Such ideas are in contradiction to that of univocal generation: effectively exclusive reproduction from genetically related parent(s), generally of the same species.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogenesis
Biogenesis is the production of new living organisms or organelles. The law of biogenesis, attributed to Louis Pasteur, is the observation that living things come only from other living things, by reproduction (e.g. a spider lays eggs, which develop into spiders). That is, life does not arise from non-living material, which was the position held by spontaneous generation.[1][2] This is summarized in the phrase Omne vivum ex vivo, Latin for "all life [is] from life." A related statement is Omnis cellula e cellula, "all cells [are] from cells;" this observation is one of the central statements of cell theory.
They aren't the same, and they stand contradictory of each other.
Of course they are three separate theories, one depending on another.
While evolution and biogenesis are closely related, given they are both basic and fundamental approaches of biology, they have absolutely nothing to do with the Big Bang, nor are they related in any way. They are as alike as the theory of plate tectonics and the information theory.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
That is one view. I have read another review from a prominent archaeologist who believes strongly that the evidence is very persuasive. This is Biblical Archaeology, a volatile discipline if there ever was one. As an example, the James ossury, after 10 years of testing, labeled a fake, and the alleged maker arrested. Now, labeled genuine, till it is again labeled fake. There are hundreds of sources. BTW I did read it, as well as the published paper

It has not been labeled genuine.

The Ossuary box itself is real, while the inscription is considered a forgery.

"In his verdict, the judge acquitted the case’s two remaining defendants, Tel Aviv collector Oded Golan and antiquities dealer and scholar Robert Deutsch, on all major counts of creating and selling forged antiquities, most notably the now-famous first-century C.E. bone box (or ossuary) inscribed “James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus, ...” (Golen - was found guilty of some charges, including trading in antiquities without a license )

These two being acquitted of making and selling forged antiquities, - does not mean that the inscription isn't forged. They have just been found not to have done it.

The Israel Antiquities Authority appointed a committee of scholars to study the inscription and report its findings. The committee concluded that the inscription was a forgery.

This will be continuing for years.

shmogie

It has not been labeled genuine.

The Ossuary box itself is real, while the inscription is considered a forgery.

"In his verdict, the judge acquitted the case’s two remaining defendants, Tel Aviv collector Oded Golan and antiquities dealer and scholar Robert Deutsch, on all major counts of creating and selling forged antiquities, most notably the now-famous first-century C.E. bone box (or ossuary) inscribed “James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus, ...” (Golen - was found guilty of some charges, including trading in antiquities without a license )

These two being acquitted of making and selling forged antiquities, - does not mean that the inscription isn't forged. They have just been found not to have done it.

The Israel Antiquities Authority appointed a committee of scholars to study the inscription and report its findings. The committee concluded that the inscription was a forgery.

This will be continuing for years.

. The Israeli antiquities authority said is was a forgery. It has since been declared likely genuine. Golan was accused of making the inscription, and aging it with subtle mineral deposits. The Israeli's dropped the charges, because many experts regarded it as genuine, if you can't prove it is a fake you cant establish a forgery. An independent group appointed after the Israeli authority found it to be likely genuine

shmogie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogenesis

They aren't the same, and they stand contradictory of each other.

While evolution and biogenesis are closely related, given they are both basic and fundamental approaches of biology, they have absolutely nothing to do with the Big Bang, nor are they related in any way. They are as alike as the theory of plate tectonics and the information theory.
I never said they had anything to do with the big bang, I used singularity to point out singleness of mind of a group of posters. I never related the BB to anything but cosmology. Aristotle first proposed the spontaneous generation of life by his observation of mud puddles, believing that the ingredients in the puddles combined to create tadpoles, just like biogenesis is supposed to produce life. I don't know about wikepedia, but I have read Aristotle

shmogie

According to the American Psychiatric Association - pedophilia is a mental disorder.

"Most pedophiles have a definite preference for one sex or the other. But it's tough to estimate the percentage of pedophiles who are heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual in their attraction to children, Blanchard says." http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/explaining-pedophilia

That preference shows that pedophiles are actually heterosexual, or homosexual, and the need for children is a mental disorder attached to either.

I couldn't care less, THEY claim they are born attracted to children, their orientation is to be attracted to children. Argue with them, not me

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Have YOU read him ? Have YOU considered his evidence ? Are YOU just parroting some critic you came across ? I suspect the answers are no, no, yes
I have read and considered his claims. They seem to all utilize circular reasoning and cherry picking evidence with a bit of assuming the option that fits with the Bible, no matter how unlikely it might be. A.k.a., discarding the scientific method.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I couldn't care less, THEY claim they are born attracted to children, their orientation is to be attracted to children. Argue with them, not me

Not likely, however, How would that change the facts?

They have known preferences which makes them Heterosexual, or homosexual.

The heterosexual pedophile wants to have sex with very young girls.

The homosexual pedophile wants to have sex with very young boys.

"Pedophiles" are HETEROSEXUALS, or HOMOSEXUALS, that want to have sex with young children.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
. The Israeli antiquities authority said is was a forgery. It has since been declared likely genuine. Golan was accused of making the inscription, and aging it with subtle mineral deposits. The Israeli's dropped the charges, because many experts regarded it as genuine, if you can't prove it is a fake you cant establish a forgery. An independent group appointed after the Israeli authority found it to be likely genuine

What independent group? You need to start providing links to your sources.

And How exactly is this "independent group" superior, to the scholars from the people that speak the language?

Deidre

Well, even though I think that sentence was a late addition, i always wondered why He did not initiate the stoning party. Being without sin. Allegedly. i ask because it does not sound like it is wrong to stone adulterers to death. It is perfectly admissible, under the sole premise that you are without sins.

Maybe His point was ...that just because one can do something, doesn't mean one should.

johnhanks

You quoted wrongly, go back and look, the sites of Sodom and Gomorrah MAY have been found...
I quoted incompletely: the full sentence was "according to the Biblical Archaeology Review, the sites for Sodom and Gomorrah have been found"; the words "may have been" are nowhere to be seen, nor do you give any hint that you regard the Review's conclusion as tentative.
Yes, as I understood the hypothetical genetic argument humanity can be traced back to a male and female. I even asked you to clarify the issue for me, since you are more knowledgeable on the matter than me. You didn't respond, instead you chose this path.
I think I clarified the issue quite fully in post 4556 (with a little help from Wiki). But even after that, you persisted in referring to "those two" as though a fixed pair of individuals really had been identified as universal ancestors. That was what led me down "this path"; which, I think, may well have reached its terminus.

Last edited:

shmogie

I quoted incompletely: the full sentence was "according to the Biblical Archaeology Review, the sites for Sodom and Gomorrah have been found"; the words "may have been" are nowhere to be seen, nor do you give any hint that you regard the Review's conclusion as tentative.
I think I clarified the issue quite fully in post 4556 (with a little help from Wiki). But even after that, you persisted in referring to "those two" as though a fixed pair of individuals really had been identified as universal ancestors. That was what led me down "this path"; which, I think, may well have reached its terminus.
Agreed

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I never said they had anything to do with the big bang, I used singularity to point out singleness of mind of a group of posters. I never related the BB to anything but cosmology. Aristotle first proposed the spontaneous generation of life by his observation of mud puddles, believing that the ingredients in the puddles combined to create tadpoles, just like biogenesis is supposed to produce life. I don't know about wikepedia, but I have read Aristotle
I've already pointed out to you (and I see another poster did as well) that the version of spontaneous generation that Aristotle proposed (where fully formed organisms arise from nonliving matter), was discarded over a century ago, and is not at all what we are talking about in any current discussion of abiogenesis, biogenesis or evolution.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
LOL, I know the theory as well as most who have had college level biology. Ever heard of the term hyperbole ? It applies to my examples. No fun in an example like millions of years required for the ancestors of whales to slowly adapt to a land enviroment, then millions of years later to readapt to the sea

And the problem with that is.....?

Ciao

- viole