• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, you are good at speculating, and I appreciate most of what you said as speculation. Regardless of whether aliens started life here, it had to begin somewhere, which leaves the same question, did life begin by a magical process somewhere, on a rock floating in space, from material on the rock and from whatever could have come from the remnants of the BB in a rudimentary galaxy.

This is actually a good point. Life, or organic material, coming from the outside does not explain abiogenesis. It just shifts the problem to the next level.

I could also say that all complex atoms that make life come from the explosions of stars, while still explaining nothing in terms of how duplicating organisms, with such constituents, arose.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Perhaps. The facts are, using the "scientific" concept of the spontaneous generation of life, which is the foundation of evolution, is an impossible concept, so wracked with scientific proof against it, it is impossible. Sir Fred Hoyle, Astronomer, cosmologist and mathematician did a very detailed mathematical study of the odds of life occurring from chemicals in the alleged primordial sea of the infant earth. His conclusion, the odds are 10 to the 40,000th power. Well beyond the number science concludes is impossibility. The concept is bankrupt, Hoyle says " there was no primordial sea, no spontaneous generation of life". . You believe in a scientific impossibility. So as the Harvard Biochemist Harold Wald said, "there are only two options, the impossible spontaneous generation of life, or Divine creation, I choose the impossible option because I am philosophically opposed to the other". Questions about God are irrelevant to this discussion. I'd be happy to talk to you about God in another place,

But here you are obviously wrong. Like all micro evolutionists, :)

Evolution has nothing to do with the origins of life. Evolution explains the tree of life from a common root, under the assumption of original duplicating root organisms whose origin is still unknown. And it is very plausible, if not necessary, that the origin of life does not follow the evolutionary paradigm at all.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Perhaps. The facts are, using the "scientific" concept of the spontaneous generation of life, which is the foundation of evolution, is an impossible concept, so wracked with scientific proof against it, it is impossible. Sir Fred Hoyle, Astronomer, cosmologist and mathematician did a very detailed mathematical study of the odds of life occurring from chemicals in the alleged primordial sea of the infant earth. His conclusion, the odds are 10 to the 40,000th power. Well beyond the number science concludes is impossibility. The concept is bankrupt, Hoyle says " there was no primordial sea, no spontaneous generation of life". . You believe in a scientific impossibility. So as the Harvard Biochemist Harold Wald said, "there are only two options, the impossible spontaneous generation of life, or Divine creation, I choose the impossible option because I am philosophically opposed to the other". Questions about God are irrelevant to this discussion. I'd be happy to talk to you about God in another place,

Sir Fred Hoyle believed a whole lot of things. For instance the steady Universe. Wrong, obviously.

By the way, he believed that life originated in outer space through pamspermia. Do you agree?

He also believed in creation fields, aka C-fields (respectful chuckle).

Is he also one of the scientists, creationists are so desperate to use as rational sanction to their beliefs?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Abiogenesis, evolution, what one "believes" the bible to say, Eckankar and spinach therapy aside, from the Christian perspective of the OP there simply is no conclusive or universal opinion on whether homosexuality is sinful or not. Therefore, since no definitive consensus exists, we can say that, "within Christianity, homosexuality is not definitively considered to be a sin." Therefore, the best a Christian can say snd remain on the safe side of honesty is that "it is a sin for me." And proclaiming it as sin for the rest of the world is both dishonest and discriminatory.

shmogie

Sir Fred Hoyle believed a whole lot of things. For instance the steady Universe. Wrong, obviously.

By the way, he believed that life originated in outer space through pamspermia. Do you agree?

He also believed in creation fields, aka C-fields (respectful chuckle).

Is he also one of the scientists, creationists are so desperate to use as rational sanction to their beliefs?

Ciao

- viole
No, Hoyle was an atheist. Interesting statement. The desperation seems to be on the part of the believers in spontaneous generation. More and more honest scientists, regardless any belief or non belief they might hold, are realizing the impossibility of what they have believed. Hoyle's odds calculation is quite modest compared to some others done by atheists-, biochemists, statisticians, biologists etc. Proud believers in your religion are having to recant because the theology of the faith, objective scientific inquiry, is proving the foundation to be rotten. Some, as Dr. Wald, whom I quoted, choose to believe the impossible ( spontaneous generation) rather than accept the other alternative. No, the desperation is not with creationists, it is with those who must abandon the grail of magical natural processes, and realize we have been right all along

shmogie

But here you are obviously wrong. Like all micro evolutionists, :)

Evolution has nothing to do with the origins of life. Evolution explains the tree of life from a common root, under the assumption of original duplicating root organisms whose origin is still unknown. And it is very plausible, if not necessary, that the origin of life does not follow the evolutionary paradigm at all.

Ciao

- viole
Please, I know all about it. Like Pilate, you are now trying to wash your hands of of that oh so fundamental first step of the magical mystery tour of evolution, that chemically produced very first living organism that started the show. Well, you can't have a chicken without the egg. So, are you confirming that life can only come from life, or are you hedging your bet ?

Parsimony

Please, I know all about it. Like Pilate, you are now trying to wash your hands of of that oh so fundamental first step of the magical mystery tour of evolution, that chemically produced very first living organism that started the show. Well, you can't have a chicken without the egg. So, are you confirming that life can only come from life, or are you hedging your bet ?
As long as you have a first living thing, you can have evolution. How that first living thing came into existence has no effect on whether or not it evolved into other forms later on. A divinely-created first organism works just as well as one created by abiogenesis or aliens or whatever else.

shmogie

Shadow Wolf just demonstrated that there are more than 2 possibilities, so he is wrong on that. And he's wrong to reference spontaneous generation which is an obsolete concept.
I must have missed it, when was the third possibility he demonstrated ? Aliens ? I assume he means creatures from the universe, which begs the question........................... We won't use the term "spontaneous generation", although I don't know why you are adverse to it, since, I assume, much better qualified scientists than you use it. No matter. The combination of non living chemicals in a heated primordial sea that produces a living organism, is an obsolete concept. Better ?

shmogie

As long as you have a first living thing, you can have evolution. How that first living thing came into existence has no effect on whether or not it evolved into other forms later on. A divinely-created first organism works just as well as one created by abiogenesis or aliens or whatever else.
So then, life can only come from another form of life , right ?

Parsimony

So then, life can only come from another form of life , right ?
I don't think we have enough information to know that with certainty either way. Heck, if God exists, then He'd be an exception to that rule, would He not? If (and this is a big "if") the Universe is infinitely large and uniform, then abiogenesis would be an inevitability as all possible events would have to happen somewhere. We do not know that the Universe is infinitely large, however, so that would just be speculation. I'm much more of the opinion that, if abiogenesis happened, then there was a process involved that was not entirely random.

shmogie

Poor Dr. Gould. I wondered how many times he had to spin in his grave considering how many desperate creationists in the quest for scientific confirmation quoted him as an example of anti evolution.

You seem to ignore entirely what he said. Which gives now overwhelming evidence that my interpretation of micro evolutionist was correct. :)

He just objected on the basic mechanisms of evolution (puntuated equilibrium vs. gradualism) , but he never doubted for a second about evolution and common descent (e.g. The hominous fish in our family album). He actually fought fiercely against any attack to evolution in public schools. Maybe its time to render him honor by quoting him correctly.

Yes, I quoted the Bible when I said that we and chimps are the same kind. Who else would use the word "kind" when applied to modern biology?

Ciao

- viole
I quoted him for exactly what he said. I have nor had any idea what he was worried about. He was worried. You are back to the desperate thing again. You seem to assume desperation where none exists, or are you just thinking a lot about desperation ? He had no worries about evolution being attacked in public schools.Those who believe in intelligent design believe in evolution, and the issue is about a single theory being taught, especially when it is coupled with spontaneous generation. Hmmmm, kind means species, just like modern biology

shmogie

I don't think we have enough information to know that with certainty either way. Heck, if God exists, then He'd be an exception to that rule, would He not? If (and this is a big "if") the Universe is infinitely large and uniform, then abiogenesis would be an inevitability as all possible events would have to happen somewhere. We do not know that the Universe is infinitely large, however, so that would just be speculation. I'm much more of the opinion that, if abiogenesis happened, then there was a process involved that was not entirely random.
Well, no, the universe isn't infinitely large, it is measured to be 14 - 15 billion light years across. If the process were not entirely random, what was it then ? Without a directed process from outside the universe, then everything within the universe is entirely random

Parsimony

Well, no, the universe isn't infinitely large, it is measured to be 14 - 15 billion light years across.
About 46 billion light-years, actually. That's the diameter of the visible universe, not the universe as a whole. We don't know how large the entire universe is.
If the process were not entirely random, what was it then?
At least partly directed by the laws of physics and chemistry. Not all compounds are equally likely to form under given circumstances, not all compounds are equally stable, not all polymer sequences are equally likely, some chemicals are known to catalyst certain reactions on their own, etc.
Without a directed process from outside the universe, then everything within the universe is entirely random
The laws of physics are not random. Things fall down, not up. Hydrogen burns but helium doesn't. Electricity follows the path of least resistance, etc.

shmogie

About 46 billion light-years, actually. That's the diameter of the visible universe, not the universe as a whole. We don't know how large the entire universe is.

At least partly directed by the laws of physics and chemistry. Not all compounds are equally likely to form under given circumstances, not all compounds are equally stable, not all polymer sequences are equally likely, some chemicals are known to catalyst certain reactions on their own, etc.

The laws of physics are not random. Things fall down, not up. Hydrogen burns but helium doesn't. Electricity follows the path of least resistance, etc.
Really ? According to the magazine "Astronomy" The universe is 14-15 billion light years across they state it as a firm number, with no mention of " visible or invisible": simply the size of the universe. The laws of physics within the universe are not random, the results can be. 500 golf balls dropped from 10,000 feet, under the influence of a non random law of physics, will stop bouncing and rolling into a perfectly random pattern. The laws of physics and chemistry cannot account for the creation of a living organism from inert substances, whatever they are, period. It cannot happen

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You know what I was talking about. You didn't miss my point. You quoted it, and even mentioned it in a post.
And it's 'she,' btw, as indicated by the blood drenched Venus symbol of my avatar, and profile.

Really ? According to the magazine "Astronomy" The universe is 14-15 billion light years across they state it as a firm number, with no mention of " visible or invisible": simply the size of the universe. The laws of physics within the universe are not random, the results can be. 500 golf balls dropped from 10,000 feet, under the influence of a non random law of physics, will stop bouncing and rolling into a perfectly random pattern. The laws of physics and chemistry cannot account for the creation of a living organism from inert substances, whatever they are, period. It cannot happen
You must have misread, because 14-15 billion light years is the visible universe to us. We have not a clue as to how big the universe actually is, only how far out we've been able to see.
And just because we don't know how life started yet does not mean that we never will, and not knowing is not a reason to insert god. We will eventually know, and the answer will not involve any "poofs" or other superstitious approaches.

InChrist

Free4ever
And yet God has not provided those answers. I often see people claiming that they ask and through prayer, they get ''the answers" but I don't see those answers being told to anyone else, begging the question of whether these perceived answers are self delusion. This is a self fulfilling prophecy that the unenlightened don't get to know. Why is that? Why do the answers only come when someone spends these countless hours praying? Why do they not come to those who do not follow your faith?
Why? Maybe because those who are not getting answers are not going to the Creator God asking the questions. I believe that God desires a one on one relationship and personal interaction with each person because that is what each human being was created for. If one ignores God or assumes they already have all the answers without seeking what He may have to say then why would answers or enlightenment be expected?

Parsimony

Really ? According to the magazine "Astronomy" The universe is 14-15 billion light years across they state it as a firm number, with no mention of " visible or invisible": simply the size of the universe.
If that's what they really said, then they are wrong. I was also wrong with my initial number: it's actually 93 billion light-years across. 46 billion is actually the distance from here to the edge of the visible universe. The light from the oldest visible galaxies may only be 13.7 billion years old, but you can't simply divide that by the speed of light and arrive at a distance measurement of 13.7 billion light-years.The reason for this is because the universe is expanding, making it larger than what you would expect given its age. This is, unfortunately, a commonly repeated mistake, even for the Rose Center for Earth and Space. More information on that here.
The laws of physics within the universe are not random, the results can be. 500 golf balls dropped from 10,000 feet, under the influence of a non random law of physics, will stop bouncing and rolling into a perfectly random pattern.
Depends on the specifics. The final resting place of the balls isn't entirely random. If it was, then some of the balls would go shooting out into space or fall below the Earth's crust. Not all areas of Earth's crust are at the same height either, so more balls would end up rolling down slopes than sitting on top of hills.
The laws of physics and chemistry cannot account for the creation of a living organism from inert substances, whatever they are, period. It cannot happen
No one claims that life came from inert substances. The closest thing we have to inert substances would be the noble gases, some of which can indeed react under the right circumstances. If you're going to say that abiogenesis is impossible, then you're going to need to support it and more importantly do so without straw-manning what the modern concept of abiogenesis is. No one says that simple chemicals spontaneously turned into a cell, for example.

shmogie

If that's what they really said, then they are wrong. I was also wrong with my initial number: it's actually 93 billion light-years across. 46 billion is actually the distance from here to the edge of the visible universe. The light from the oldest visible galaxies may only be 13.7 billion years old, but you can't simply divide that by the speed of light and arrive at a distance measurement of 13.7 billion light-years.The reason for this is because the universe is expanding, making it larger than what you would expect given its age. This is, unfortunately, a commonly repeated mistake, even for the Rose Center for Earth and Space. More information on that here.

Depends on the specifics. The final resting place of the balls isn't entirely random. If it was, then some of the balls would go shooting out into space or fall below the Earth's crust. Not all areas of Earth's crust are at the same height either, so more balls would end up rolling down slopes than sitting on top of hills.

No one claims that life came from inert substances. The closest thing we have to inert substances would be the noble gases, some of which can indeed react under the right circumstances. If you're going to say that abiogenesis is impossible, then you're going to need to support it and more importantly do so without straw-manning what the modern concept of abiogenesis is. No one says that simple chemicals spontaneously turned into a cell, for example.
Suddenly we are bobbing and weaving, so let me be perfectly clear. A living organism cold not have been produced from a primordial sea containing any combination of chemicals, minerals or any other non living substance, period. Did that cover everything for you, or add what you choose, s long as it isn't life. I have supported it, how much more do you require ? Pages ? I can produce pages. Volumes, I think I can do that. Atheist biochemists and Biologists, ? I can do that. Many many highly qualified scientists that are creationists, easily done. In fact, I really think the burden of proof is on you. You apparently accept this idea, so, produce proof that it occurred, could have occurred, with supporting evidence. I certainly can produce evidence that it did not and could not, and already have. I don't think you understand what randomness and probability really are. At least, according to the class I took on the subject, you don't. Randomness always exists within parameters, because parameters are restrictive doesn't mean what randomly happens within those parameters is less random. Otherwise, nothing could be random. The resting of a ball on a roulette wheel is totally random, even though the wheel restricts the ball from flying across the room or diving into the earth

shmogie

You know what I was talking about. You didn't miss my point. You quoted it, and even mentioned it in a post.
And it's 'she,' btw, as indicated by the blood drenched Venus symbol of my avatar, and profile.

You must have misread, because 14-15 billion light years is the visible universe to us. We have not a clue as to how big the universe actually is, only how far out we've been able to see.
And just because we don't know how life started yet does not mean that we never will, and not knowing is not a reason to insert god. We will eventually know, and the answer will not involve any "poofs" or other superstitious approaches.
LOL. Ok, you don't know how life started. I can prove how it didn't start. So now we have gone from the pat faith in spontaneous generation, to faith in nothing, I find it howlingly amusing that you are so hell bent on denying God, that you are willing to accept nothing to do so. Or as Dr. Wald said, who I think is much better qualified than you to evaluate the alternatives, " I will believe in the impossible because I am philosophically opposed to the alternative". At least he believes in what he knows is impossible, you because you are philosophically opposed, have and believe nothing. So it's she ? Physically, mentally, or by orientation ? I get really confused with the cabal members. It's kind of imprecise.