• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Brahman and Nirvana the same?? Is the goal the same??

Shuddhasattva

Okay let me ask one last question, Emptiness is not static, right, it's flux?

Wu.

Emptiness is non-described, ineffable; crossfire used a very good alternate word; traceless.

It is without constituent components, and without processes, substances, or properties.

It is not restricted to either static or flux. It is not demarcated into this or that.

You may wish to look up the catuskoti; the fourfold negation of Nagarjuna also indulged in by Gaudapada.

This is the non-position of shunya, the ninth and extinctive view, and may use apoha as an appendage but is certainly not restricted thereto in its meaning.

Last edited:

DanielR

This was givin to me when I confused emptiness with an experience I had during Zazen. . Hope it helps you as well. :0)

that was helpful, thanks, when I think of Sunyata I always think of some kind of essence or Absolute, it's really difficult

DanielR

Can I say that because of perception (I guess avidya), we see things in the wrong way, not how they really are, would that be true, I know that Sunyata cannot be explained by words, but would this be an approximation?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The universe is only one. Truth is only one. Buddhism, Hinduism etc. provide valid paths to the truth. So ultimately Nirvana=Brahman is true. The same goal looked at from two similar paths/perspectives.

atanu

Premium Member
The universe is only one. Truth is only one. Buddhism, Hinduism etc. provide valid paths to the truth. So ultimately Nirvana=Brahman is true. The same goal looked at from two similar paths/perspectives.

I agree. One cannot go beyond whatever is. Rest is mental speculation. :)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
The universe is only one. Truth is only one. Buddhism, Hinduism etc. provide valid paths to the truth.
Buddhism, Greek philosophy, Jewish philosophy, and ancient Egyptians all recognize Two Truths Doctrine.
So ultimately Nirvana=Brahman is true.
Perhaps according to Hinduism, but not according to Buddhism. Nibbana is beyond concepts.
The same goal looked at from two similar paths/perspectives.
I'm not sure if the goals of each are the same, either.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Seeing a cloud in the newspaper! "Inter-being", "inter-are", "inter-is". I love it. :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Perhaps according to Hinduism, but not according to Buddhism. Nibbana is beyond concepts.

They're both (Nibbana and Brahman/Moksha) ultimately beyond concepts. Teachers have to use words to point us to that which is beyond our ability to conceptualize.

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
They're both (Nibbana and Brahman/Moksha) ultimately beyond concepts. Teachers have to use words to point us to that which is beyond our ability to conceptualize.

agreed :namaste, concidering also that there is difference in conception even amongst hindu as to what is brahman , what is moksha , then it is required to strip away all conception , in which case one has found that which is ultimately beyond name .

apophenia

Originally Posted by George-ananda

agreed :namaste, concidering also that there is difference in conception even amongst hindu as to what is brahman , what is moksha , then it is required to strip away all conception , in which case one has found that which is ultimately beyond name .

I would add that this 'stripping away' is not an intellectual process, it is an act of surrender, where the mundane mind is no longer actively engaged as the center of attention.

There is also a 'stripping away' which takes place in, and as, intellectual activity, as the mind is gradually transformed by the effects of surrender. The results of this process include our concepts of nirvana and brahman.

Eventually, this intellectual process exhausts itself. No concept can 'sum up' the nature we may call 'being'.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
that was helpful, thanks, when I think of Sunyata I always think of some kind of essence or Absolute, it's really difficult
Thats because intelluctualizing after a point leads one away from that which can be observed and experienced.

When we think of essence or absolute there is an "object" there. Something constructed to be permanent by way it's perceived to be.

Experiences and observations allows perfect understanding without thinking in terms of the absolute. That gives way to a clear understanding of emptiness.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste shuddhasattva ji ,

not quite sure that I understand this ?prehaps it is simply choise of words ?

Shunya is mahamaya; mahamaya is illusory illusoriness is brahman.
shunya ?
mahamaya , great illusion , great majic , ..... the principle divinity , prepetuator of phenominal existance . thus mahamaya is the creator samsara . or the creator of the illusion which is samsara , .........and shunyata ; the absence of illusion .

shunyata ; emptiness of phenomena or phenominal existance , libberation , moksha , brahman , ..... yes :namaste

Maya = not this. Compare neti and nirguna, and also the practice of self-inquiry with the essential identity of Pusan-Hiranyagarbha (Yogeshvara) in the Ved; 'Ka.'

Eternal ignorance is not.

maya ; .... the illusion of phenominal existance ,
moksha ; ..... freedom from ignorance , freedom from ilusion , libberation from phenominal existance .:namaste

which unfortunately cano't be reduced to mere words , as mere words are subject to the missinturpretations of the mind ,

in my most humble opinion .

DanielR

could someone help me with this question out? :D

Okay, I can see how I am dependent on the Universe and the cosmos and everything around me, but how is the Universe dependent on me, because of my observation??

thanks

aewbarnes

Andy Barnes
In answer to the basic question in the OP, I offer that Nirvana and Brahman are different as for me nirvana is a state of emersion in Brahman.
Brahman is everything and in order to have overcome all false perception to fully achieve awareness of Brahman is to be in Nirvana. Whilst not spatial, Nirvana then is a 'place to be' from which awareness of Brahman can be experienced.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear prabhi ji

beg your pardon I missed your post ,

I would add that this 'stripping away' is not an intellectual process, it is an act of surrender, where the mundane mind is no longer actively engaged as the center of attention.

There is also a 'stripping away' which takes place in, and as, intellectual activity, as the mind is gradually transformed by the effects of surrender. The results of this process include our concepts of nirvana and brahman.

I am generaly not talking about the interlectual process , with any luck the mundane mind remains at the door with the shoes ;)

when I say striping away it comes from the intence desire to reside in a state free from mundane concerns ,(including concerns of the self)

there is also what I might describe as a falling away , much like what you describe as the efects of surrender which to me came when I realised that the interlect was self limiting .
I say falling away , as I tend to feel that there are stages we outgrow that we simply shed our old ways of seeing as a snake sheds its skin .

Eventually, this intellectual process exhausts itself. No concept can 'sum up' the nature we may call 'being'.

jai jai ,

we simply outgrow it , ..... and providing we are not attatched to it we accknoweledge its usefullness and move on :namaste