• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is caffein good for you?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, not as far as I know. The caffiene dehydrates you, and can cause over-stimulation. I'm fighting my addiction to Dr. Pepper at the moment, so I need to remind myself of that!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I guess Caffeine is like most things in life, in moderation, it is fine ....to excess...well....not a good idea. I did find this interesting article though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1625660.stm
Monday, 29 October, 2001, 11:19 GMT
Caffeine 'can ease headaches'

_1625660_coffee_beans300.jpg
Filter coffee contains the highest dose of caffeine

A cup of tea or coffee might be able to tackle certain types of headache, say researchers.

The caffeine it contains could help a higher number of people gain complete relief from "tension headaches".

Caffeine is already routinely added to many painkilling medications, including some which can be bought over the counter at chemists, and the latest research confirms that it has therapeutic value against conventional headache symptoms.

But researchers at the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago also found that giving caffeine in isolation appeared to be as useful as giving standard pain relief.

How much caffeine? (per cup)
Filter coffee - 80-115 mg
Instant coffee - 65 mg
Black tea - 40-60 mg
Cocoa - 4 mg
Can of cola - 35-60 mg

In all, 58% of headache sufferers said that taking caffeine capsules was completely successful, the same proportion as in those taking ibruprofen only - and many said they felt better more swiftly.

Tension headaches involve constant, dull pain, although not generally as excrutiating as a migraine.

Just as good

Pain is often accompanied by muscle tightness in the shoulders and neck - and can last for days.

The Diamond team found that when caffeine was added to standard painkillers, 70% of patients reported complete relief, as opposed to 58%.

On average, Britons are still said to consume 3.5 cups of tea a day.

Some studies have suggested that other chemicals in the drink may have health benefits.

However, the overall health benefits of caffeine are less clear-cut.

Some studies have linked high caffeine consumption with an increased number of headaches.

Caffeine can cause, in higher doses, a temporary rise in blood pressure, and some doctors suggest that people with heart rhythm problems should avoid it.

thanks for posting that article.

i drink coffee ecah day and definitely would prefer i didnt, because i notice the way the caffeine wakes me up. evertyhing in moderation though....:bonk:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jamaesi said:
I think people tend to forget that caffeine is, indeed, a drug.
There are drugs, and there are drugs..........I do know what you mean Jamaesi.;)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Having recently decaffeinated myself, I can only tell you from my experience that I feel 10 times better throughout the whole day by simply replacing that cup of coffee with a good breakfast and some exercise to wake me up and give me energy. The effects last much longer than caffeine.

Tez

Coffee causes me headaches :mad:. I used to really enjoy it, and coke, cant have that either now. :banghead3 lol.

- Tez

Kowalski

jamaesi said:
I think people tend to forget that caffeine is, indeed, a drug.
Maybe, but research has proved the coffee is one of the richest sources of anti-oxidents available, I drink between ten and fifteen cups of columbian a day, and cappuncinno when I'm out, lovely............

K

Kowalski said:
Maybe, but research has proved the coffee is one of the richest sources of anti-oxidents available, I drink between ten and fifteen cups of columbian a day, and cappuncinno when I'm out, lovely............
i thought tea was a better source of anti-oxidants than coffee, or at least a healthier option.

how much is too much?

Tez

Oh I just rembered somthing I read ages ago about coffee, If a woman drinks 5 cups or more a day while pregnant it increases the chances of having a miscarrage by 50% :eek:.

- Tez

Kowalski

WillieHutch said:
i thought tea was a better source of anti-oxidants than coffee, or at least a healthier option.

how much is too much?
Coffee is good for you, just don't drink it in excess, I know when I tried to stop taking caffeine in anything, I felt so ill after three days, that I was glad to start drinking it again. I'll see if I can find a link.

There is also an article in the New Scientist, 24 Sept issue, which extols the virtues of coffee, and this is online, search on the New Scientist.

Cheers

K

YamiB.

I could see how caffine would be harmful in excess. I see no way that is could be good for a person.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
What kind of water are you drinking? It shouldn't have a taste to it...

I've never been able to stand coffee. I am addicted to caffeine, though. :(

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jensa said:
What kind of water are you drinking? It shouldn't have a taste to it...

I've never been able to stand coffee. I am addicted to caffeine, though. :(
I don't like water either. Maybe it's because it doesn't have a taste to it. I'm surprised to hear anyone say they don't like coffee. As a Mormon, it's against my religion to drink it, but I have tasted it on occasion and it's definitely not hard for me to stay away from. I don't even like the smell.

Now, you're all going to laugh at me. :eek: I love milk. Cold, cold milk.