• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is consciousness physical or nonphysical?

• physical

• nonphysical

• neither

• both

• other

• it all depends

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Also at some time before this the typical near Death Experience
Near Death is a far cry from Beyond Death. Where are all the post-death experiences? Why is it only ever a near death experience? Aren't we all near death?

Some of us are just nearer than others.

Oh i do prefer that new term you coined "Beyond Death" far better describes the
experience than NDE ... i certainly entered another realm, and nothing like i could have imagined, and sadly at times (as it was somewhat a difficult struggle to recover)
i was sent back with a Task, by the entity up there ...

Now the hearing family and Drs talk whilst i was in the well of Coma was after the
death experience, so i was back in my body trapped down the dark well when i heard them ... Sorry i did not put the events in order ...

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It is non-physical in the same way that ideas are non-physical. It is physical in the same way that the patterns displayed from electrical charges are physical. The observed phenomenon is obviously in existence but what it "actually" is or what its components are seem to be physical but the concept may not be.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Now the hearing family and Drs talk whilst i was in the well of Coma was after the death experience, so i was back in my body trapped down the dark well when i heard them ..
What you term as death experience was perhaps stopping of brain and heart function for a short period of time. Then you recovered. And a person in coma is not unconscious. Of course, the degree of consciousness will depend on the individual case. A person in coma can feel touch, hear, see, smell, taste; only that he/she will not be able to respond. So, sure someone sent you back with a task. I hope you are performing the task well, otherwise the person who sent you back will not be pleased. ;) Man wakes up after 12 years of coma: “I was aware of everything”

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Physicist Frank Tipler says we can measure "information." But he describes it as immaterial, although it is in physical in the sense that it supervenes on the physical and is subject to the law of physics.
I don't know Frank Tipler, but I understand the world to be composed of information, and some of that information is measurable. The part that's measurable, we call "physical" and helps comprise the laws of physics.

That's what I'm asking you. Is it possible to be conscious of reality. And if it is, then what exactly is this reality?
How can it not be possible to be conscious of reality? Reality is composed in the landscape of conscious thought.

What it is, I cannot put words to.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If the waves are detectable and they exist, then sure they are physical and interact with the physical.

Electromagnetic waves are detectable only when they interact with something physical. However they don't need a physical medium to exist.

So these waves could exist, can carry information and if they are not at the moment interacting with something physical can not be detected.

Are they physical because they can interact with physical objects or are they only physical at the moment they are interacting with physical objects?

If the former then we can detect consciousness interacting with the body. Per that understanding, consciousness is physical. However at the same time, it's not really saying that a physical medium is necessary for brain waves to exist.

It'd also means that things exists which we cannot detect until they interact with something physical and somethings we are considering physical are not always detectable.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't know Frank Tipler, but I understand the world to be composed of information, and some of that information is measurable. The part that's measurable, we call "physical" and helps comprise the laws of physics.

Different understandings of physical.

It is only physical if/when we can measure it which means that it is interacting with something else which is physical?

I'm just wondering where we draw the line between physical and non-physical.

outhouse

Atheistically
. A person in coma can feel touch, hear, see, smell, taste; only that he/she will not be able to respond.

Unsubstantiated.

The link you provided is subjective, and not credible evidence.

By all credible accounts, he was in a state of semi consciousness before he was completely awake.

he was in a coma for 3 years and could not recall anything before being semi conscious.

Martin Pistorius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Different understandings of physical.

It is only physical if/when we can measure it which means that it is interacting with something else which is physical?

I'm just wondering where we draw the line between physical and non-physical.
What is it interacting with?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Electromagnetic waves are detectable only when they interact with something physical. However they don't need a physical medium to exist.

So these waves could exist, can carry information and if they are not at the moment interacting with something physical can not be detected.

Are they physical because they can interact with physical objects or are they only physical at the moment they are interacting with physical objects?

If the former then we can detect consciousness interacting with the body. Per that understanding, consciousness is physical. However at the same time, it's not really saying that a physical medium is necessary for brain waves to exist.

It'd also means that things exists which we cannot detect until they interact with something physical and somethings we are considering physical are not always detectable.

Good post. I like that.

I voted I don't know, and I think it would be fallacious to have absolute belief in it being physical or non-physical or both. But if I were to take a good guess beyond what I don't know I would guess consciousness would be non-physical.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What is it interacting with?

Metal usually. The waves interact with the electrons of the metal like an antenna to create a EMF charge. We can convert the information carried by the waves into a physical wave like sound. Sound being physical since it does require a physical medium, usually air.

Brainwaves are also detected by small metal electrodes attached to the scalp.

So are brainwaves a by product of the brain's actively or is the brain using these waves to communicate information?

We can use brainwaves to communicate one way at least.

Supposedly waves can be used to alter an individual's mental state. Maybe just referring to physical waves like sound.

It'd be interesting to see if "non-physical" waves can affect the consciousness of the brain.

Anyway depending on how you use the term physical, perhaps the "non-physical" aspect of a person, their mind or consciousness resides in these waves.