• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is consciousness physical or nonphysical?

Is consciousness physical or nonphysical?

• physical

• nonphysical

• neither

• both

• other

• it all depends

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

MD

qualiaphile
Both, the brain is intimately involved but the mechanism of action is unknown and in my opinion will always be unknown from a scientific perspective.

There will never be a purely physical description of consciousness, at least scientifically speaking.

Gambit

Processes undergo other things. What underlies processes?

If a process is neither physical nor nonphysical, then what exactly is it that is undergoing a process? (I can understand a physical process, I can understand a mental process; and I can understand a process how the mental and physical interact. But I am having a difficult time attempting to understand a process that neither involves a physical process nor a nonphysical process.)

This depends. However, within the past 24+ hours I've been working and taking breaks to distract myself here, I've covered this twice, and I'm fairly certain that at least one of those times was in a thread you participated in.

Apparently, I must have missed it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Interesting. What exactly is the measurable and detectable physical property of consciousness?

Hospitals and emergency personal for instance in determining the conscious state of patients by their physical disposition upon entering the treatment center.

Surgical anthestisia chemically used to put one under.

Our own physical bodies when requiring sleep gives us an indicator when it's time for the lights to go out. We gauge just when that point is by how the body reacts.

The type of consciousness as well that pertains to the physical can be disguinished. Say when fast asleep, our bodies still remain conscious on the cellular level apart from our primary conciousness to maintain vital functions and wakes us up when a problem arises, or there is enough regeneration to wake up to the level of consciousness we are familiar with. Even our immune system by which we don't focus, remains reactive and aware.

As I see it the properties of consciousness are multifaceted and simultaneous throughout depending upon what's going on within our bodies at a givin moment.

It's simple common things like the above as I see it by how consciousness is measured and detected in many ways by noting what physically is going on, and we can follow things like that by how our psyicality changes and responds that affects us.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What other categories do you care to reduce it to?
Science is a system we've devised for describing our analyses of the world. Physical is a category of descriptors that refers to anything measureable (like distances, weights, or forces, being the measurable interactions between bits), but we could just as rightly make a mathematical anlaysis, or look to reduce the world in non-scientific terms, such as those used in metaphysics (ontological/epistemological, object/subject, knowledge/truth).

Are you defining "consciousness" as "reality?"
Yes and no. Reality is a narrative we compose using science and other tools of consciousness. Within the context of the narrative, reality supercedes consciousness, but apart from that consciousness supercedes reality. In other words, we cannot be conscious of a world unless there is a world to be conscious of (this is within the context of the narrative), but it's all for naught unless we are conscious (all the science in the world is no use if you're dead).

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Both, the brain is intimately involved but the mechanism of action is unknown and in my opinion will always be unknown from a scientific perspective.

There will never be a purely physical description of consciousness, at least scientifically speaking.
Of course - why would science think to attempt to give a physical explanation for a non-physical concept?

MD

qualiaphile
Of course - why would science think to attempt to give a physical explanation for a non-physical concept?

230114_908223010.png

Looncall

Well, if it is neither physical nor nonphysical, then what else is it? (Telling me that it is simply a process is not very informative. And telling me what substrate it runs on still does not tell me whether it is a physical or nonphysical process.)

Consider a calculation running on a computer. Does it make sense to speak of the calculation as a substance, or as physical or non-physical? This is a category error. "Not even wrong.".

What is "non-physical" supposed to mean, anyway?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Consider a calculation running on a computer. Does it make sense to speak of the calculation as a substance, or as physical or non-physical? This is a category error. "Not even wrong.".

What is "non-physical" supposed to mean, anyway?
Bingo!

It seems to me to keep coming back to claiming that abstracts have some kind of 'substance', of a non-physical nature - although 'substance' refers to the physical anyway, it is incoherrent.