• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "Devil Worship" another Abrahamic faith?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The Divine Source which is the life spark/essence which flows through all life and of which She is an Aspect.
:bow:
The male/father protective and hunter Aspect of the Divine.
;)
I ask the elemental beings associated with each direction and element to watch over and protect my circle during my ritual and lend any help they may deign to provide during the ritual.

Do the elemental beings have names?

Who represents fire?
Who represents Air?
Who represents Water?
Who represents Earth?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Salamanders, small fire dragons, Firedrakes....
Sylphs, Zephyrs, winged faeries....
Nymphs, mer-folk, water plant faeries...
Gnomes, land faeries...

I'm wondering where these questions are leading. What does this have to do with the Devil and his worship being Abrahamic?

Well, I will answer that. Many people choose other elemental figures than you do.

Have you seen that before?

If you would have answered in a different fashion, I could have tied that to Abrahamic roots. :D

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, I will answer that. Many people choose other elemental figures than you do.

Have you seen that before?

If you would have answered in a different fashion, I could have tied that to Abrahamic roots. :D
Ohh, so you were hoping I'd say something you could try to connect with something Abrahamic huh? :p Hmm. Well, unless I held to the god in the bible actually existing as it describes, or anything in the bible actually existing as described, then even if I had one concept that was shared it wouldn't really mean anything other than that one concept is probably found in many religions and is therefore just a pass on through the Collective Unconscious. ;) Though I must say, I am wondering what you were hoping I'd answer with.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using the angels as quarter guardians ever. That's a very strange practice to say the least. :areyoucra

I have couple magic books that mention Christian angels and such.

Mixing up these kind of stuff is popular in Latin America, specially mexico, where saints and angels that Catholic church allows to ask for faith and advivce, have a similar feeling to polytheism in their own way. (Not the same by any means, but you get that "specialization" feeling of each having it´s own area)

So naturaly, diverse magic currents used that.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've heard of Christian Wiccians, maybe that's where it comes from.

Well, I have my own views on that. I think that it's using two labels for two different religions and smacking them on something which is neither. That practice is more a Christianized witchcraft than it is Wicca. But that's neither here nor there. That's a whole different debate really.

Trey of Diamonds

Well, I have my own views on that. I think that it's using two labels for two different religions and smacking them on something which is neither. That practice is more a Christianized witchcraft than it is Wicca. But that's neither here nor there. That's a whole different debate really.

Totally agree, just wondered if that was the source of Angels being used as elementals.

Trey of Diamonds

Perhaps, it certainly isn't something normally done by most Wiccans or even other Pagans. At least not to my knowledge.

Yeah, I'd never heard of it. I don't know that many Wiccans but all 3 of the UU churches I've attended had a fair number so I've been exposed to a lot of Wiccan practices. Participated in a few as well. :)

Levite

Higher and Higher
In Judaism, only living personifications that set them selves up as enemies of Israel are embodiments of evil ( i.e. the Biblical story of an actual king they named Lucifer). Judaism is devoid of the dualism present in Christianity or Islam. Satan is a powerless pawn in God's game, hardly an enemy of God.

Actually, we don't believe in embodiments of evil. At all. We believe in evil actions, not evilness as an inherent characteristic, of people or anything else.

Also, we don't have anything to do with the name "Lucifer." We have never used such a name in reference to anyone or anything.

"Satan" for us is not a name, it is a job title. Ha-satan ("the satan') literally means "the opposer," in the sense of "the anti-advocate" or, more idiomatically, "the prosecutor." It is a title assigned to whatever angel at a given moment or period is given the duty of testing the faith of the righteous at God's command, or provoking people to defend their actions before God; and sometimes is considered the "guardian angel" of the psychoemotional chaotic impulse. It has nothing to do with evil or rebellion (angels have no free will, and so are incapable of rebellion), or embodying anything. It merely designates the duties of a particular angel.

Not that this has anything to do with the quoted post above, but it really seems like people are using the word "Abrahamic" when what they mean is "Christian." Because the "Satan" being discussed here is definitely not the Jewish Satan, and really seems to be the Christian Satan. I don't know enough about Muslim theology to judge whether it is applicable to Islam, or in what degree.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Not that this has anything to do with the quoted post above, but it really seems like people are using the word "Abrahamic" when what they mean is "Christian." Because the "Satan" being discussed here is definitely not the Jewish Satan, and really seems to be the Christian Satan. I don't know enough about Muslim theology to judge whether it is applicable to Islam, or in what degree.
I think I'd have to agree with that. You can call it Abrahamic only in the sense that Christianity is one of the three Abrahamic religions.
But it seems to me the Satan(ism) being discussed in this thread is pretty exclusively a product of Christian theology.

GabrielWithoutWings

I think that depends on how far back one is willing to go. If you're going to stop with the Bible, then I suppose it could be considered one.

If you go back far enough, though, you'll find that Satan is an amalgamation of different deities. Ha-Satan, Set, Ahriman, Pan, etc.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
I think that depends on how far back one is willing to go. If you're going to stop with the Bible, then I suppose it could be considered one.

If you go back far enough, though, you'll find that Satan is an amalgamation of different deities. Ha-Satan, Set, Ahriman, Pan, etc.
That's where the confusion comes from. I think it may be true that early Christians and some sectors of Judaism and Islam attributed and associated elements of their Satan with pre existing figures from other religions. But the evil nature of the Christian Satan was not the key feature of most of those other deities you named.
Thus the evil anti-God of Christianity, is a purely Christian creation.