• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is DNA a sign of Intelligent design?

Ostronomos

The science community has established that DNA is a complex polymer that is present in all life forms. Its origins are somewhat mysterious in the way that nature operates according to laws that create the myriad life forms that inhabit the earth. Does this suggest fine-tuning or even intelligent design? The likelihood that this has occurred by random chance is extremely slim. The observer-participatory universe required observers to help create reality through observation. A closed loop. The observers fill their role as powerful creators of reality. Spawned from DNA and free to make choices, they become creators of possibility. Despite the objections raised by non-believers, random chance is ruled out because their are deeper levels of reality.

I am entertaining this idea and would like your thoughts.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@SalixIncendium are you two related ? /s

:p

Go back far enough and we are all related?

@SalixIncendium began using the "long" reply technique before me accordingly to the post date, thought i hadn't seen it until after i used it.
I think its a case of great minds thinking alike... Or fools seldom differing... Not sure which

vulcanlogician

I'll talk about the issue with you. It's hard to argue in favor intelligent design. Although I'm not a proponent of intelligent design, I admire some of the arguments made on its behalf. I thought William Paley (the watchmaker guy) made some pretty good arguments for it. Well... good for his time. The problem with the watchmaker argument is that Paley was philosophizing before we discovered evolution. Even though I think Paley made some interesting arguments, all of his questions have been answered by science. (We should cherish the occasions when that happens.) How a watch can reproduce itself was a GOOD question, but biologists have more or less explained many of those mysteries. We can still think about it though. ID has yet to be falsified. In fact, short of discovering the creator himself, it cannot be falsified.

You were right to post this in the philosophy section because the arguments for intelligent design are not scientific. No amount of data will ever prove ID because because the data has already furnished us with a model explaining stars, life, and many other complex things formed from a hot dense state. To a scientist, adding a creator in is superfluous.

But I still listen to the ID crowd when I think someone has an interesting argument. The arguments for ID we have nowadays are weak. (The fine tuning argument etc.) but they are not dead in the water like the watchmaker argument.

The likelihood that this has occurred by random chance is extremely slim.

Compared to what?

We have only observed our own universe. Without a comparison to something else, we have no grounds to say what a universe "ought" to look like if there were no creator.

It is at least conceivable that life can arise in a godless reality. It's a great big universe. We are an iiiiiiiiitty bitty patch of moss on some nondescript planet.

The likelihood is slim? Are you privy to some probability chart that shows how likely it is for life to arise in a godless universe? I wanna see the blazing sword at the gates of Eden. Then I'll be convinced.

The observer-participatory universe required observers to help create reality through observation. A closed loop. The observers fill their role as powerful creators of reality. Spawned from DNA and free to make choices, they become creators of possibility. Despite the objections raised by non-believers, random chance is ruled out because their are deeper levels of reality.

Yes, the universe is amazing!

Why is random chance ruled out because reality has depth to it? It seems any very complex reality would naturally have depth (once one started investigating it), whether it was created or not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The science community has established that DNA is a complex polymer that is present in all life forms. Its origins are somewhat mysterious in the way that nature operates according to laws that create the myriad life forms that inhabit the earth. Does this suggest fine-tuning or even intelligent design? The likelihood that this has occurred by random chance is extremely slim. The observer-participatory universe required observers to help create reality through observation. A closed loop. The observers fill their role as powerful creators of reality. Spawned from DNA and free to make choices, they become creators of possibility. Despite the objections raised by non-believers, random chance is ruled out because their are deeper levels of reality.

I found the question intriguing as well and where I started was the study of motor proteins.

It turns out very little is known about it but the good news is we know more about them than we used to.

Science knows who the designer is, but we don't know where and how it came about at least for the moment. That led me to study animated and reactive matter as well.

Ostronomos

I'll talk about the issue with you. It's hard to argue in favor intelligent design. Although I'm not a proponent of intelligent design, I admire some of the arguments made on its behalf. I thought William Paley (the watchmaker guy) made some pretty good arguments for it. Well... good for his time. The problem with the watchmaker argument is that Paley was philosophizing before we discovered evolution. Even though I think Paley made some interesting arguments, all of his questions have been answered by science. (We should cherish the occasions when that happens.) How a watch can reproduce itself was a GOOD question, but biologists have more or less explained many of those mysteries. We can still think about it though. ID has yet to be falsified. In fact, short of discovering the creator himself, it cannot be falsified.

You were right to post this in the philosophy section because the arguments for intelligent design are not scientific. No amount of data will ever prove ID because because the data has already furnished us with a model explaining stars, life, and many other complex things formed from a hot dense state. To a scientist, adding a creator in is superfluous.

But I still listen to the ID crowd when I think someone has an interesting argument. The arguments for ID we have nowadays are weak. (The fine tuning argument etc.) but they are not dead in the water like the watchmaker argument.

Compared to what?

We have only observed our own universe. Without a comparison to something else, we have no grounds to say what a universe "ought" to look like if there were no creator.

It is at least conceivable that life can arise in a godless reality. It's a great big universe. We are an iiiiiiiiitty bitty patch of moss on some nondescript planet.

The likelihood is slim? Are you privy to some probability chart that shows how likely it is for life to arise in a godless universe? I wanna see the blazing sword at the gates of Eden. Then I'll be convinced.

Yes, the universe is amazing!

Why is random chance ruled out because reality has depth to it? It seems any very complex reality would naturally have depth (once one started investigating it), whether it was created or not.
What is your opinion on our role as creators of possibility?

Ostronomos

P.S. I would encourage everyone to listen to the interview between Langan and Michael in the above video.

Ostronomos

I would like to also point out that unlike most atheists, who witlessly meander through the big questions, I am 100% certain that God exists. Not only have I logically proven it, so to has Langan. It is more than a vast cosmic coincidence that we're here. There is a level of reality above this one in which the mind can influence the probability of an event occurring just by thinking about it, then watching that thought manifest itself in the physical realm.

Remember: the higher dimension contains the separation, effecting the non-separation.

Ostronomos

No.

I want to hear those who answer “yes” what is intelligently designed about genetic defects and cancers.
What is intelligently designed about a genius with a 200 IQ who proves the existence of God? Answer: everything.

The universe gave rise to observers, who then gave rise to the universe.

Ignatius A

If not intelligent design what is it a sign of?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A problem with ID is that it evokes God separate from creation with an image of God making various decisions about the world and implementing them through miracles. Along with this is rejecting that something can develop through evolution - a God of the gaps argument.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on your point of view.

Since you posted this in the philosophy subforum, we can consider, for example, the following which will have a significant impact on how we evaluate this question:

• What is intelligence? How do we decide what is and isn't intelligent (that is, how to we decide to measure it)?
  • What is design? How do we decide what is and isn't designed (that is, how do we decide to measure it)?
  • What is fine-tuning? How to we decide what is and isn't fine-tuned (that is, how do we decide to measure it)?
In all of the above, we create a philosophical construct for how we will decide to assess things and the answer is heavily dependent on these presupposed assumptions that are, in of themselves, not verifiable but rather axiomatic.

For example, from a certain point of view any level of coherent organization can be interpreted as signifying a design or a pattern that is being expressed within the universe. From there, you could assess how fine-tuned these designs are by how efficient or optimal (best-in-slot or "meta" in gamer speak) something is for a particular function or role if you wanted to. As for supposing intelligence in the design - either inherent to the design itself or as some external designer or some combination of both - are we taking a very anthropocentric understanding of intelligence or something broader? In basic terms, intelligence is the ability to learn and adapt to new situations. Is this not the very thing mutation of DNA provides? You could look at it that way if you want.