• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Faith Without Works Dead?

ayani

i believe that faith without works is not faith at all. one's faith must move one to be faithful within the world. otherwise one is living in one's head.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Sunstone said:
Is faith without works dead, as the wonderful Llama asserts in another thread?

Can one make significant spiritual progress without works, no matter how strong one's faith?

Is faith required for works, as the astute Lilithu asserts in another thread?

Do works define, inform and illuminate faith? Do works refine faith?
Works can happen with no faith at all. But I don't think faith can be manufactured from works.

From a Christian perspective though, I believe that Faith defines, informs and illuminates works. The works done in faith or even because of faith are refined by faith, rather than being the refiners of faith.

To put it bluntly (as Adil pointed out from the Book of James) - One who says s/he has faith but does not act on that faith is a hypocrite.

Again from a Christian/Biblical perspective, this does NOT mean that salvation can be earned by works. It just means that someone who truly has faith will willingly walk the talk by doing the works.

cardero

Citizen Mod
MaddLlama said:
Faith without "works" is like words without actions - it isn't enough to say that you believe in something, you have to show it, otherwise it's just mental masturbation.
??????????

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Sunstone said:

Can one make significant spiritual progress without works, no matter how strong one's faith?

I believe faith without works is not considered a sincere true faith. Saying the opposite it is as if seeing somebody for the first time and from the first look you say that he/she is nice though you haven't talked or dealt with him/her yet.

Peace

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Faith must have a hidden and apparent effects on the person, an inner and outside good effects on you and on all those who surrounds you and with whom you are dealing.

Peace

Ozzie

Sunstone said:

How can you acquire faith without works? It is not innate.

This is actually a good question. It shows that atheism must also be a sort of faith.

So works without faith (even in atheism) does not exist.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
cardero said:
??????????

If you only talk about how much faith you have, and never actually apply your faith to your life and your actions, then your faith is artificial.

ckdotca

" "Faith" is a work.

Faith is hope being acted upon. "

God knows if one has faith regardless of his or her works. Take it to an extreme case, can a prisoner who spends his life in a jail cell still have faith in God? I think it's obvious that without works faith can exist.

From the other end of the spectrum if an athiest dedicates their life to helping others and volunteering, does this mean he or she has faith? This helps show the devide between the two.

adilrockstar

The Bible teaches:

James 2:17-20

So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
Now someone may argue, "some people have faith; others have good deeds." But I say, "How can you show me your faith if you don't have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds."
You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

Pretty much clears up the Biblical perspective.: hamster :

God Bless

Adil

A man in a jail cell can still wittness to other inmates. And he can refrain from sin. Self sin.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Faith without works is dead.

The Bible clearly states this, there is no need for any other interpretation of it.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
beckysoup61 said:
Faith without works is dead.

The Bible clearly states this, there is no need for any other interpretation of it.

What about faith with the intention of doing works? Like if someone with a lot of faith were bedridden for one reason or another, and doesn't have the ability to go out and do those works no matter how much they may want to. Would it still be dead?

adilrockstar

Gentoo said:
What about faith with the intention of doing works? Like if someone with a lot of faith were bedridden for one reason or another, and doesn't have the ability to go out and do those works no matter how much they may want to. Would it still be dead?

The would do works by not losing faith because of their situation. They would do works by praying for others and worshiping God however they can.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:

For me, a faith is dead if it has nothing to show for it. What is the point of having a faith if it doesn't inspire you to do good works? I can say I believe such and such, but to prove it and put those words into action is showing my faith and, hopefully, benefitting someone else in the process.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Gentoo said:

No. God understands that they do as much works as they can do. If it means laying there and believing in Christ, then that's good enough.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Sunstone said:
I don't think it's dead so much as hollow, as faith without works isn't genuine faith, but empty words.

No, I don't believe spiritual progress of any kind can be made on empty words.

I don't believe that faith is required for works. Just look to some of the atheists in the world--on this forum.

Yes, and yes. I believe that works define, inform, illuminate, and refine faith, as per question one.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Maize said:
I can say I believe such and such, but to prove it and put those words into action is showing my faith and, hopefully, benefitting someone else in the process.
For me, it's not a matter of doing works to 'prove' I have faith.
It's the faith I have that makes me glad to serve.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Snowbear said:
For me, it's not a matter of doing works to 'prove' I have faith.
It's the faith I have that makes me glad to serve.

Yes, that's what I meant. By your good works, others do see your faith is what I meant about proving your faith. But the only person I need to prove to is myself.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Sunstone said:
Is Faith Without Works Dead?
I don't think one can truely seperate them; both amalgate into one and diffuse into the two, and return.

*shrugs*

I'm somewhat ill, so that made more sense in my head. (As usual, but at least this time I have an excuse :p)

ckdotca said:
From the other end of the spectrum if an athiest dedicates their life to helping others and volunteering, does this mean he or she has faith?
Why not? One need not subscribe to a particular orthodoxy to 'have faith'.