• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a man?

jimb

Premium Member
Because he carried God's will in his heart!
John 6:39 "...and this is the will of Him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that He has given me, but raise it up at the last day." Matthew 6:10 "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven,"
And if I carry God's will in my heart (as I do), does that make me God also?

jimb

Premium Member
G-d is NOT a man .. G-d is omniscient .. Jesus is a man .. he is not omniscient.

Of course, one can contrive all sorts of arguments, such as fully human, fully God .. and
G-d as a man prayed to G-d not a man etc. etc.

..but it's much easier to conclude Jesus to be a chosen one, who had a miraculous birth.
Jesus was the one chosen to become human and be sacrificed for all sins. Then He returned to heaven and His divine status, which He had previously.

Betho_br

I think you may have misunderstood my request. I was asking for the link to the website you copy and pasted from.

You misunderstood. By mentioning "theword," I am highlighting that not using the copy-paste function is a great option. However, there are texts on the internet that, due to their quality, should be replicated—of course, with proper citation of sources.

Maninthemiddle

..but G-d is not a soul .. He is of infinite nature. (He rather than it or they -- language denoting respect)
So your saying God does not have the power to enter a physical body.
The God that created all things lacks the ability to enter a physical body temporarily.
That is ridiculous.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
The God that created all things lacks the ability to enter a physical body temporarily.
What does that even mean? 'What' actually "enters the body" ?

As far as I can see, God is already there. :)
He is aware of what is in our minds.

..and that is because our souls belong to Him.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
And if I carry God's will in my heart (as I do), does that make me God also?
In my belief we all carry a spark of God in us. It is up to us to nurture and grow it as Jesus did. The humanity of Jesus, IMB, is our goal.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I don't think you understand what I mean, if a soul inhabits a body are you the body, no you are the soul.
Once the body ages and breaks down you don't cease to exist.
The body is a vehicle that enables the soul to physically roam the material Earth plain.
This body you see in the mirror is not you, its a vehicle you inhabit temporarily.
If God chose to inhabit the body of a man called Jesus he is still God, he is a God inhabitanting the body but he is still God.
When you get in you car do you become the car and cease to be you.
There is no such thing as a body without a soul, assuming souls exist. And, if a soul exists, it is intertwined with the body. In Christian Orthodoxy (I'm thinking Council of Chalcedon), Jesus was not a man husk that God was poured into. In fact, this is exactly was John 1:14 says, "And the word became flesh and dwelt among us."

And that is something that contradicts the Tanakh.

Now let's assume you believe something other than Christian Orthodoxy, that Jesus was merely a man husk that God was poured into, that you can somehow distinguish the body of Jesus from the soul of God. In that case, you do not believe in the incarnation, you do not believe that God became flesh. In short, you do not believe Jesus was God.

Last edited:

Maninthemiddle

There is no such thing as a body without a soul, assuming souls exist. And, if a soul exists, it is intertwined with the body. In Christian Orthodoxy (I'm thinking Council of Chalcedon), Jesus was not a man husk that God was poured into. In fact, this is exactly was John 1:14 says, "And the word became flesh and dwelt among us."

And that is something that contradicts the Tanakh.

Now let's assume you believe something other than Christian Orthodoxy, that Jesus was merely a man husk that God was poured into, that you can somehow distinguish the body of Jesus from the soul of God. In that case, you do not believe in the incarnation, you do not believe that God became flesh. In short, you do not believe Jesus was God.
You cannot have a Body without a Soul but the soul certainly carries on without the Body.
What do you think the body is other then a tool to connect with this physical realm.
Do I believe Jesus was God personally, absolutely not as I am not a Christian.

Maninthemiddle

What does that even mean? 'What' actually "enters the body" ?

As far as I can see, God is already there. :)
He is aware of what is in our minds.

..and that is because our souls belong to Him.
I have come to the conclusion that no explanation will help you understand what I am saying.
I don't try to walk through closed doors.

jimb

Premium Member
My point is that appearing as a Man does not make God a man, the body is simply that, a body.
When you get in your vehicle do you cease to become you and become a ford or a Mazda.
I don't understand your logic. God can appear in whatever form He wishes. (He is God, after all!)