• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a man?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Is it against Gods nature to appear as a human in the form of Jesus, who are you to say yes or know.
G-d is NOT a man .. G-d is omniscient .. Jesus is a man .. he is not omniscient.

Of course, one can contrive all sorts of arguments, such as fully human, fully God .. and
G-d as a man prayed to G-d not a man etc. etc.

..but it's much easier to conclude Jesus to be a chosen one, who had a miraculous birth.

Betho_br

Where did you copy and paste this from?

From TheWord app.

Lexicon :: Strong's H376 - 'îš

אִישׁ​

Transliteration
'îš
Pronunciation
eesh
Part of Speech
masculine noun
Root Word (Etymology)
Contracted for אֱנוֹשׁ (H582) [or perhaps rather from an unused root meaning to be extant]
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 83a
KJV Translation Count — Total: 1,639x
The KJV translates Strong's H376 in the following manner: man (1,002x), men (210x), one (188x), husband (69x), any (27x), miscellaneous (143x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. man
    1. man, male (in contrast to woman, female)
    2. husband
    3. human being, person (in contrast to God)
    4. servant
    5. mankind
    6. champion
    7. great man
  2. whosoever
  3. each (adjective)

Lexicon :: Strong's H410 - 'ēl

אֵל​

Transliteration
'ēl
Pronunciation
ale
Part of Speech
masculine noun
Root Word (Etymology)
Shortened from אַיִל (H352)
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 93a
KJV Translation Count — Total: 245x
The KJV translates Strong's H410 in the following manner: God (213x), god (16x), power (4x), mighty (5x), goodly (1x), great (1x), idols (1x), Immanuel (with H6005) (2x), might (1x), strong (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. god, god-like one, mighty one
    1. mighty men, men of rank, mighty heroes
    2. angels
    3. god, false god, (demons, imaginations)
    4. God, the one true God, Jehovah
  2. mighty things in nature
  3. strength, power

Attachments

• Theword.jpg
    Theword.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 13

Betho_br

G-d is NOT a man .. G-d is omniscient .. Jesus is a man .. he is not omniscient.

Of course, one can contrive all sorts of arguments, such as fully human, fully God .. and

..but it's much easier to conclude Jesus to be a chosen one, who had a miraculous birth.
Moses was an elohim, how do you interpret this?

jimb

Premium Member
Re the OP: Jesus was a human when He was on Earth.

Philippians 2:5-7, "You should have the same attitude toward one another that Christ Jesus had,

who though he existed in the form of God
did not regard equality with God
as something to be grasped,
but emptied himself
by taking on the form of a slave,
by looking like other men,
and by sharing in human nature."

jimb

Premium Member

See my post immediately above...

Jesus was a fully human person when He was on earth, but prior to and after that He was fully God.

John 1:1-4, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God. The Word was with God [His Father] in the beginning. All things were created by him, [see Genesis 1:1] and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created. In him was life, and the life was the light of mankind."

Why should interpretations be "easy", i.e., with thought or reason? Of course, one can contrive all sorts of arguments, such as not fully human, and not fully God, but they are contrary to what the Bible clearly states (in many places, not just the above).

It's easy to dismiss the issue with concluding Jesus to be a chosen one, but a) He was the chosen one and b) He is God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
God is not a man
justifies killing.
It justifies the crucifixion. Because it means that man is nothing. It's like an animal-
and it's not a sin to kill an animal.
I believe Justice is a matter of law. The Jewish establishment decided what was legal and what was not. They decided it was not legal for Jesus to call Himself the Son of God. The Romans also had laws and one was that only they could set up kings in Israel so Jesus claiming to be one broke that law. Their justice systems were incorrect but they wouldn't have known that.

Betho_br

Jesus was a fully human person when He was on earth, but prior to and after that He was fully God.

John 14:20 NVI
On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

1) How can a completely human person be in the Father?

2) How can a completely human person be PERMANENTLY in the Father?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
..if you say so .. but how does that change anything?
Do you not still believe G-d is omniscient, and pray and worship Him?

..and of course, if G-d can be a man, maybe the man living next door is 'God' also. :)

jimb

Premium Member
John 14:20 NVI
On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

1) How can a completely human person be in the Father?

2) How can a completely human person be PERMANENTLY in the Father?
Clearly that is something that you don't understand. You must expand your understanding by pushing doubt out of the way and trying to learn the answers to your question.

John 14:18-21 [with my emphasis], "I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you. In a little while the world will not see me any longer, but you will see me; because I live, you will live too. You will know at that time that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you. The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one[av] who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him.”

Not only can a completely human person be in the Father, but s/he can also be in Christ (who is also God). If you try to understand this by normal logic, it won't work. You must expand your thinking and try to conceive how this is possible. Pray and ask God to show you how this is possible. (You will have to open your mind beyond normal thought.)

jimb

Premium Member
..if you say so .. but how does that change anything?
Do you not still believe G-d is omniscient, and pray and worship Him?

..and of course, if G-d can be a man, maybe the man living next door is 'God' also. :)
The answer to your first part: Yes, God is omniscient, and I worship Him and pray to Him (sometimes in the spirit language He gave me.)

If you want to have a serious discussion, please eliminate nonsense such as your last sentence. Being sarcastic will prevent you from gaining understanding!

Betho_br

Clearly that is something that you don't understand. You must expand your understanding by pushing doubt out of the way and trying to learn the answers to your question.

John 14:18-21 [with my emphasis], "I will not abandon you as orphans, I will come to you. In a little while the world will not see me any longer, but you will see me; because I live, you will live too. You will know at that time that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you. The person who has my commandments and obeys them is the one who loves me. The one[av] who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him.”

Not only can a completely human person be in the Father, but s/he can also be in Christ (who is also God). If you try to understand this by normal logic, it won't work. You must expand your thinking and try to conceive how this is possible. Pray and ask God to show you how this is possible. (You will have to open your mind beyond normal thought.)
Only Jesus is directly in the Father.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
If you want to have a serious discussion, please eliminate nonsense such as your last sentence..
Well, there you are .. naturally, Jesus being God makes sense to you, but nobody else can be.
Hmmm .. how convenient.

..so, according to you, Jesus comes along and says "hey folks, I'm God" .. and then goes away again.
Sorry .. makes no sense to me.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Is it against Gods nature to appear as a human in the form of Jesus, who are you to say yes or know.
Most Jews and Christians accept the Tanakh (OT) as being the word of God. What it says about the nature of God is what we believe. My point in this thread has simply been to point out that the Tanakh DOES teach what God's nature is, that HE IS NOT A MAN. For Jews, this is not a problem, since we agree. For Christians, it constitutes a problem, because it conflicts with their teaching that Jesus is God.

Maninthemiddle

Most Jews and Christians accept the Tanakh (OT) as being the word of God. What it says about the nature of God is what we believe. My point in this thread has simply been to point out that the Tanakh DOES teach what God's nature is, that HE IS NOT A MAN. For Jews, this is not a problem, since we agree. For Christians, it constitutes a problem, because it conflicts with their teaching that Jesus is God.
My point is that appearing as a Man does not make God a man, the body is simply that, a body.
When you get in your vehicle do you cease to become you and become a ford or a Mazda.

Maninthemiddle

I take it you don't believe in spirits, when you go to Jennha do you think its your body that goes.

Maninthemiddle

Yes, it does. There is no difference.
I don't think you understand what I mean, if a soul inhabits a body are you the body, no you are the soul.
Once the body ages and breaks down you don't cease to exist.
The body is a vehicle that enables the soul to physically roam the material Earth plain.
This body you see in the mirror is not you, its a vehicle you inhabit temporarily.
If God chose to inhabit the body of a man called Jesus he is still God, he is a God inhabitanting the body but he is still God.
When you get in you car do you become the car and cease to be you.