• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a real *********?

pwfaith

Not seeing the need for sarcasm, here. I was simply pointing out that from an eternal perspective, God is more interested in saving our souls than he is sparing our physical bodies from pain. I believe sometimes he inflicts/allows pain to get our attention.

You are right, I apologize. Sarcasm likely was not necessary. I don't know that I agree God is MORE interested. The way you originally posted it just made it sound like God is sitting up in heaven, seeing all the suffering down here and says "Well that one has been saved" or "a little more infliction on that way, maybe then they'll listen" throwing His almighty hands in the air, turning around and walking away. I've been in enough debates on this topic to know there are people who believe that. I don't know you well enough to know if you do or not, and I apologize if I read your comment the wrong way and assumed it had negative intentions. I believe God's heart breaks when He sees His creation in pain or suffering, even if He feels he must allow it for a greater good down the road. As a parent, there have been times I had to allow my child to make a choice I knew would end up with them having to "learn the hard way". It still broke my heart. There are times I have had to "harm" my child for their benefit (such as with vaccines). I cried the whole time they did though. While perhaps I do care MORE about their health and safety at the time, I still DEEPLY cared about their pain and the suffering it brought them - physically and emotionally.

You are right, I apologize. Sarcasm likely was not necessary. I don't know that I agree God is MORE interested. The way you originally posted it just made it sound like God is sitting up in heaven, seeing all the suffering down here and says "Well that one has been saved" or "a little more infliction on that way, maybe then they'll listen" throwing His almighty hands in the air, turning around and walking away. I've been in enough debates on this topic to know there are people who believe that. I don't know you well enough to know if you do or not, and I apologize if I read your comment the wrong way and assumed it had negative intentions. I believe God's heart breaks when He sees His creation in pain or suffering, even if He feels he must allow it for a greater good down the road. As a parent, there have been times I had to allow my child to make a choice I knew would end up with them having to "learn the hard way". It still broke my heart. There are times I have had to "harm" my child for their benefit (such as with vaccines). I cried the whole time they did though. While perhaps I do care MORE about their health and safety at the time, I still DEEPLY cared about their pain and the suffering it brought them - physically and emotionally.
I think you'll be glad to know that I don't believe God to be a sadist, either. I do believe, however, that He's in the business of perfecting souls, and sometimes that includes pain and discomfort on our part.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
My thoughts exactly. Although I do always wonder if people believe God causes suffering, is the opposite true as well, do they also credit God with the blessings received in the world?
Or fault God for the blessings --just so.