• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God able to provide additional evidence that would convince more people to accept him?

logician

The topic question can apply to any God who supposedly wants people to believe that he exists.

Isn't it obvious that no supposed god cares a whit whether anyone believes it exists or not.

All it would have to do is personally introduce itself to every person in some fantastic way to convince everyone.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
To paraphrase something I read a few years ago...

Man once believed gods lived on the mountain tops. So he climbed the mountains and found no gods.

Then man believed gods lived above the clouds. So he made balloons and built machines to take him into the clouds and found no gods.

Then man believed gods lived in space. So he went into space and built telescopes to peer into the depths of the universe and found no gods.

Now man believes gods are outside time and space, and outside our universe altogether. Gods have become invisible, non-physical, undetectable entities...all the characteristics of something that doesn't exist.

LittleNipper

Let's be honest. JESUS calmed storms, healed sick, brought dead back to life, told people what they were about, etc., and all the unbelievers could do was declare HIM a devil at best... So what exactly would anyone expect GOD to do?

MSizer

MSizer
Let's be honest. JESUS calmed storms, healed sick, brought dead back to life, told people what they were about, etc., and all the unbelievers could do was declare HIM a devil at best... So what exactly would anyone expect GOD to do?

Could you provide some evidence please for any of the claims above?

johnhanks

Uhhh... something?

Erebus

Zeus threw lightning bolts from the sky, held parties on Mount Olympus, had sex with lot's of human women and had a son who performed countless acts of heroism. Do you believe in Zeus?

Beta

I think Jose was referring to events recorded in the OT as matters of factual record, not to defunct laws and rituals. So which bits of OT narrative are no longer to be believed, exactly? Did Abraham talk god down from fifty to ten righteous Sodomites, or was that a fib? Did god speak to Elijah in a 'still small voice', or is that fabrication? If those things didn't happen, why should we believe any of the rest?
Yes, I can understand it's an embarrassment.
I never said OT was not scripture or that it did not happen. A lot happened then which is no longer applicable to us in the NT , therefore SOME old scriptures no longer apply. Can any of us make God change his mind ? Or talk with God like the old Prophets did ? Those were special people with whom God communicated .
If anything is handed down from the OT it is the 10 Commandments and most people today reject them. If they are so concerned about OT teachings why don't they follow THEM ?

Beta

Isn't it obvious that no supposed god cares a whit whether anyone believes it exists or not.

All it would have to do is personally introduce itself to every person in some fantastic way to convince everyone.
God certainly cares and will reveal himself in his own good time. As said , God works to a plan and people will just have to wait if they are not prepared to take his Word for it.
His experience with people is not to our credit - we killed his beloved Son. All of us are guilty because of sin and is something to repent of.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Can any of us make God change his mind ? Or talk with God like the old Prophets did ? Those were special people with whom God communicated .
So most prayer is pointless? Asking God to give strength, guidance, better parking spots, or good health is futile? If God's going to do it, He's going to do it and nothing any mere human says will make him change his mind?

And are you planning on substantiating your accusation against me, or are you hoping that will just go away?

Beta

So most prayer is pointless? Asking God to give strength, guidance, better parking spots, or good health is futile? If God's going to do it, He's going to do it and nothing any mere human says will make him change his mind?

And are you planning on substantiating your accusation against me, or are you hoping that will just go away?
In # 23 you made out I was not interested in the OT and I did not think it was scripture. Why don't you correct that my friend since i never said anything of the sort.
I was hurt by that but am willing to overlook it, arguing is not my style. I suggest you do the same.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
His experience with people is not to our credit - we killed his beloved Son.
Hang on here... If we hadn't, how could anyone be saved? That is a necessary part of the plan in the story, unless dying of natural causes would've accomplished the same thing (which doesn't align with the atonement sacrifice theme).

Beta

Hang on here... If we hadn't, how could anyone be saved? That is a necessary part of the plan in the story, unless dying of natural causes would've accomplished the same thing (which doesn't align with the atonement sacrifice theme).
That's quite true and are you saying we need feel no regret for the whole sorry saga that came about because of OUR sinful behaviour in the first place ? If WE did not sin (and sin is the transgressing of God's law) Jesus would not have had to die. God had commanded man to be obedient Gen.2v16,17.
We have commandments today and people don't obey, what will be the outcome of that ?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
That's quite true and are you saying we need feel no regret for the whole sorry saga that came about because of OUR sinful behaviour in the first place ?
Exactly. The only one who needs to feel regret is the guy who came up with the odd blood-grudge notion of, "You sinned, so now this guy has to die in order for me to forgive you" instead of choosing simply to forgive, as we are instructed to do.

I fear I sent us careening like a Camry off the topic. :sorry1:

Last edited: